Coffee Newbie, how do you guys make your coffee? (1 Viewer)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just a simple dude trying to make coffee I like. I historically have liked Dunkin coffee over Starbucks, and I pretty much only drink flavored coffee, like Hazelnut, Vanilla, coconut, etc. I really loved stopping and getting a Dunkin Hazelnut coffee, but then they went away from brewing that separately, and now they just add the flavored syrups to the same coffee. I say "now", but it was many years ago that they started doing that. Been drinking coffee made in a Keurig for years, and I'm mostly good with that, but recently I saw a deal on a cheap Krups coffee grinder, so now that has me thinking about maybe trying to make better coffee. Bought this coffee to try in the grinder - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EVQGGDE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details . Very disappointed. A little bitter, and I tasted no hazelnut flavor at all.

I thought about going to a coffee forum, but I knew I'd be like that guy coming here and asking what slugged plastic chip to buy and everybody telling me that I need leaded THC Paulson's, LOL.

My guess as somebody who knows nothing as to how important each process component is to how good your coffee is-
Quality of beans - 50%
Fresh Roasted - 10%
Fresh ground - 10%
Type of grinder - 5%
Brew equip/process -25%

I guess my main question at this point is, can someone point me to a flavored whole bean to try. But of course I also want to hear about everyone elses coffee journey, whether you roast your own beans and french press, or whether you pour boiling water into your instant Folgers! Thanks!

I thought about going to a coffee forum, but I knew I'd be like that guy coming here and asking what slugged plastic chip to buy and everybody telling me that I need leaded THC Paulson's, LOL.
Judging by that standard, I think I am in the Dice Chip Stage since I always buy my Coffee off the shelves :x

The thing is, hazelnut coffee is always just regular coffee beans flavored with some kind of hazelnut syrup or oil. Whether that flavoring is added as a syrup after your coffee is brewed, or whether the beans are coated with hazelnut flavoring after they’re roasted - I don’t know how that affects the experience. But if you’re chasing some kind of genuine hazelnut coffee, you’re on a wild goose chase.

I’ve just been diving into the coffee rabbit hole over the past couple of weeks, so I have a ton of new knowledge, but all of it is secondhand.
Most experts will tell you the grinder is the most important factor in the equation. Because of that, and because I’m interested in espresso (which requires very fine grinds that are finitely adjustable) I just spent way too much on a grinder. I think if you’re not interested in espresso, you can probably get a decent hand grinder in the $50-$100 range. But that’s where I’d suggest you begin. (One beginner to another)

The thing is, hazelnut coffee is always just regular coffee beans flavored with some kind of hazelnut syrup or oil. Whether that flavoring is added as a syrup after your coffee is brewed, or whether the beans are coated with hazelnut flavoring after they’re roasted - I don’t know how that affects the experience. But if you’re chasing some kind of genuine hazelnut coffee, you’re on a wild goose chase.

I’ve just been diving into the coffee rabbit hole over the past couple of weeks, so I have a ton of new knowledge, but all of it is secondhand.
Most experts will tell you the grinder is the most important factor in the equation. Because of that, and because I’m interested in espresso (which requires very fine grinds that are finitely adjustable) I just spent way too much on a grinder. I think if you’re not interested in espresso, you can probably get a decent hand grinder in the $50-$100 range. But that’s where I’d suggest you begin. (One beginner to another)
This brings up another good question: are you planning to drink brewed coffee (i.e., drip coffee, French press, etc.) or are you looking to get into espresso? If you're looking for espresso, a hand grinder is a great place to start. If you're interested in brewed coffee, you will be hating life if you go with a hand grinder, unless you have tons of time on your hands and forearms like Popeye.

I'd start by experimenting with beans first - they are the cheapest thing while you are figuring out what you like. Think of this as the coffee equivalent to "get samples". Once you decide that you are ready to take it to the next level, you can start looking at better equipment (brewers/pour over/espresso & grinders).

If you're interested in brewed coffee, you will be hating life if you go with a hand grinder, unless you have tons of time on your hands and forearms like Popeye.
Truth. Jeff Dabe bought a hand grinder when he was young….

7E55B501-6A75-40B3-AA46-051DAA17FBC1.jpeg
30AFA901-0807-4F5A-8055-D89FF5F84F48.jpeg

I like cappuccinos or Americanos. I'd focus on good beans that aren't flavoured and add your own flavours. My coffee is always with milk and demerara sugar simple syrup (Which I use for my cocktails too).

I had a cheap grinder for years which worked well with french press. I still really enjoy a french press coffee, but pretty much use my espresso machine exclusively. When I got my espresso machine I needed to get a good grinder too.

I went 'whatever coffee there was around' to K-Cups. When K-Cups got really damn expensive I started drinking tea and was a tea guy for a long time. Eventually I decided to try an aero press, which was pretty good but kind of a pain to brew anything in large amounts. I was given a chemex as a gift and it broke the second time I used it.

I switched to using a french press which I really like the flavor of and you can get big ones, but I really can't stand cleaning it out. Dumping out the used grounds and then having to get the rest out involved me filling a pitcher full of water, going outside and rinse and dumping until all the ground where out into the flower bed. Just a HUGE pain.

Eventually I started putting coffee grounds in a cold brew bag and that goes into my insulated french press, putting that in hot water for 4x the amount of normal steep time, and then it's just like throwing out a large tea bag. It takes almost 30 minute to brew but basically I start it brewing, cook and eat my breakfast and then coffee is ready. I also make a big thing of it at the same time, drink one small cup after breakfast and the rest goes in an insulated mug and I sip off that for the next few hours.

Finding the right bean for you, being it fresh roasted or ground is incredibly personal and you are just going to need to try stuff until you find one. I've got a local roaster and I like half of their stuff and half of their stuff I almost can't even stand the smell of never mind the taste. I'm going to equate coffee with beer snobs for a second. Some people are going to tell you they like really heavily roasted beans, these are like the beer drinkers that only drink double IPAs. Some are going to tell you your beans need to be roasted yourself and ground right before brewing, these are the microbrewery fans of the beer world. Just like us and our chips...

I personally have been on Cafe du Monde which is a pre ground dark roast that comes vacuum sealed in a can and also includes chicory for some added flavor. It's not a normal coffee profile, but I really enjoy it. I but the cans 6 at a time off Amazon. I normally go through a bag of something else about half way through that pack of 6 cans just to give myself a break. I get the bag, grind it and it goes into an empty coffee can. When I'm done with that I go open a new can.

If you can find a local roaster, it might be worth going in there on a slow week day and just talking to them about what they sell and what they have that might interest you. If they are anything like my local roaster, they LOVE talking about their product and when people ask them questions. Basically, it's like poker chips, get samples, try different coffee and different methods for brewing until you find what you like, and then get deep into that with constantly being willing to 'try new things.'

Because you said so much about hazlenut, I might suggest you invest in really good quality syrup and then try and find a good coffee you like to pair it with. You probably aren't going to find really good quality beans that are flavored and it's going to heavily restrict what roasters you can use.

PS. The James Hoffman stuff above is great.

I read this and thought, what if someone throws in some roasted (unsalted) hazelnuts into the grinder with the coffee beans? Knowing that there’s very few truly original ideas left in the world, I did some quick googling and this is definitely a thing. So OP could give it a try sometime.

(I like and drink coffee but not religiously, so I don’t have much else to add. I will say I got a nice little moka pot and it makes great espresso-ish drinks—not enough pressure to be like a real espresso machine, but also under $20. Great bang for the buck!)

I read this and thought, what if someone throws in some roasted (unsalted) hazelnuts into the grinder with the coffee beans? Knowing that there’s very few truly original ideas left in the world, I did some quick googling and this is definitely a thing. So OP could give it a try sometime.

(I like and drink coffee but not religiously, so I don’t have much else to add. I will say I got a nice little moka pot and it makes great espresso-ish drinks—not enough pressure to be like a real espresso machine, but also under $20. Great bang for the buck!)
Definitely a thing. Be cautious if you have a ceramic burr grinder (possibly metal burr grinders, as well). The oils from the hazelnuts can clog the burrs to the point that they no longer grind. Depending on how easy it is to get them out for cleaning, this can be a royal PITA. Ask me how I know...

Also, if your grinder isn't easy to clean, be prepared to taste hazelnut in your coffee for a while...

I had thought about whether the hazelnuts would mess with the grinder. Interesting. I will not be doing this (don’t have a grinder, as I said not a religious coffee drinker) but good tip for OP or anyone else who might try it.

One of my favorite tips, that I’ve never tried so I dunno its actual effectiveness, is something I saw on Good Eats, where Alton Brown suggested grinding pieces of bread to help clean out grinders. Anyone done this and does it work?

One of my favorite tips, that I’ve never tried so I dunno its actual effectiveness, is something I saw on Good Eats, where Alton Brown suggested grinding pieces of bread to help clean out grinders. Anyone done this and does it work?
That show specifically addressed meat grinders. It would be difficult to force something with the moisture of bread efficiently through a coffee grinder.

The cleaning material that I have seen suggested most often, and use myself, is cheap white rice. It's a great general-purpose cleaning material. Works like a charm, and if a few tiny bits are left behind, they come out with -- and do nothing to affect the flavor of -- the next batch of coffee.

(It's also great for cleaning glass and metal vessels -- like coffee pots -- with spouts or mouths too small to get a hand into...)

Homemade cold brew: Bavarian chocolate coffee beans, ground at home and seeped in water in a jar in the fridge for 48 hours minimum. I only drink about 2 shots worth a day and I'm good to go.

Homemade cold brew: Bavarian chocolate coffee beans, ground at home and seeped in water in a jar in the fridge for 48 hours minimum. I only drink about 2 shots worth a day and I'm good to go.
I just loaded up my French press in the fridge for my first attempt at cold brew.
Honestly, I’ll be surprised if it tastes any different than iced coffee. But surprises are good.

That show specifically addressed meat grinders. It would be difficult to force something with the moisture of bread efficiently through a coffee grinder.

I must be misremembering. I could have swore he did a demo where he used a coffee grinder to grind spices and then used a piece of bread to clean it.

Double espresso from Nespresso in winter.
Ice-cold double espresso or cappuccino in summer.

That's actually the Greek "breakfast", plus four cigarettes.:)
And it's quite helpful to have gone to the toilet before going to work.:)

Get yourself a Breville Barista Express Espresso machine & it'll change your life.... seriously!

It takes a little tinkering with at first to figure out what you like and all that but once you do, you can make anything that they make at Starbucks/Caribou/Dunkin. I have had mine for 3 yrs and averaged about 3 espressos/day so easily 3000 coffees saving at least $4/ & it cost me like $650 or something.

If you like flavored coffee, most of what you are tasting is the flavoring and or milk etc. Switching from one coffee to another won't change the taste much.

would love a proper espresso machine at home but don't have the room at our current place. That and every shop that sells food has a cafe grade $3k machine in Aus for $4 cappas.
Currently use a breville grinder and an aeropress when feeling fancy.

My wife and I switch between using a french press and a Chemex. She prefers lighter to medium roasts in the Chemex, and I prefer dark roasts in the french press (even though this leads to mad acid reflux).

As for the type of beans, I'd recommend checking out locally-owned coffee shops or grocery stores that sell locally-sourced foods. It is a great way to find local coffee roasters so you can support people in your community while also accessing fresher coffee. I live in a small town in the Midwest and we have several local coffee roasters here. I'd imagine any medium to large city would have several choices.

I must be misremembering. I could have swore he did a demo where he used a coffee grinder to grind spices and then used a piece of bread to clean it.
That would more likely have been a spice grinder with an exposed blade, which some people use to grind coffee beans. There, bread would make sense. Something like this:

grinder_.jpg

I just loaded up my French press in the fridge for my first attempt at cold brew.
Honestly, I’ll be surprised if it tastes any different than iced coffee. But surprises are good.
I’m mildly surprised. If I wanted to drink it black, I could have - it seemed less bitter and probably less acidic than what I’m used to. I’m sure a lot of that has to do with the beans, of course. But my palate is not developed, so this is all bullshit. Still, I’ll call it a success.

I’m mildly surprised. If I wanted to drink it black, I could have - it seemed less bitter and probably less acidic than what I’m used to. I’m sure a lot of that has to do with the beans, of course. But my palate is not developed, so this is all bullshit. Still, I’ll call it a success.
Yeah, I just drink it black and have no issues with it.

If you're looking for lots of great info about coffee, coffee devices, etc, I highly recommend checking out James Hoffman's YouTube channel. Great info, reviews, and tips from a true coffee pro. He's got content that will help you out whether you're a coffee newbie or an experienced coffee snob. :D

Thanks for this recommendation. I've fallen down this rabbit hole, but if you own a French Press, you owe it to yourself to try this.

I'm a convert.

Thanks for this recommendation. I've fallen down this rabbit hole, but if you own a French Press, you owe it to yourself to try this.

I'm a convert.
If you DONT own a French Press, you owe it to coffee to buy one and follow this process.

James Hoffman is to Coffee as Freddie Mercury is to Music

1650029686429.png

Last edited:
I have a Keurig . So mostly store purchase pods , but I can use a reusable pod for grounds …
Blacker the better …
Currently I really like Kauai Hawaiian Na Pali coast … Dark roast
I take it Black !!!!! Learned to forgo the sugar , cause families history of diabetes…
But I Love dark coffee!
Had slow drip Cuban coffee no sugar when in south FLA …. OMG . I was in heaven that was the absolute best ever

I take it Black !!!!! Learned to forgo the sugar , cause families history of diabetes…
I’m working towards that black, just because I found I was consuming way too much sugar. But so far I’m just finding it much easier to eliminate sugar from other parts of my diet, than from my coffee. The work continues . . .

I have a Keurig . So mostly store purchase pods , but I can use a reusable pod for grounds …
Blacker the better …
Currently I really like Kauai Hawaiian Na Pali coast … Dark roast
Love love love Cuban coffee from south Florida!!
That is the best

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom