Chips without numbers? (3 Viewers)

Personally I would never design a set without denominations.
This is where I am too. Obviously, this is a completely personal decision and what works for the OP may not work for others. I played for years with simple, unmarked. solid colored chips, and for me, having denominations was a no option decision when I started designing sets and acquiring better chips to upgrade my game. Yes, I have seen some cool, vintage, non-denominated chips that I wouldn't mind owning. But they are an extreme minority for me personally.

Great thread, page 2 and the OP hasn't even commented since they posted "they" may go custom without denomination. Doesn't even got the creative made yet and we got 2 great pages of content LOL. Love to see it.

And no frickin' way denominations are needed if its common colors, but OP has two fracs and $1 so I'm saying you will want denominations. If it was a $1-$2 or $2-$5 game with traditional red, green, black totally unnecessary. But two fracs? Even a small denom should help and not disrupt your inlay creative.

It depending what colour ur using to represent what denominations

If you using a common scheme like White = $1 Red = $5 Green = $25 Black =100, people can get use to using that

If you using a weird scheme like Red = $1 White = $5 Black = $25 Blue = $100 for example, you will just be generating unnecessary problem
thanks that's helpful!

ok so here goes a quick draft of what series of chips i want to do.. like 5 values, 5 vitamins. It's a quick draft but the inlay should always be a vitamin, like A, B, C whatever. And I don't see where to put the denomination..

Attachments

• Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 61
Ten years ago, I would have said having no denominations might make a set more flexible in case you want to change your stakes or have your chips double as cash and tournament chips. But now I am very grateful that my sets have denominations. My father has dementia. He loves to play poker and can still play well. But he has trouble remembering chip value. So, when we play, I always bring my chips and this helps him tremendously.

ok so here goes a quick draft of what series of chips i want to do.. like 5 values, 5 vitamins. It's a quick draft but the inlay should always be a vitamin, like A, B, C whatever. And I don't see where to put the denomination..
I suppose you could put the denomination in a smaller font underneath the letter, but instead of using a dollar sign, use the suffix mg - so it’s like you’re sneaking it in as the dosage.

I suppose you could put the denomination in a smaller font underneath the letter, but instead of using a dollar sign, use the suffix mg - so it’s like you’re sneaking it in as the dosage.
good idea! probably should increase the values then lol;)

Many chips have no denominations, or commonly referred to as "NCV", as in no cash value. The nice thing is as your game grows, if it does, you don't need new chips. Just associate new values.
So these are two different things, non denominated chips have a cash value and are often used with varying values; NCV is often associated with tournament values and will be denominated.

Just to clarify @UniLover , NCV is very different from non-denoms, common misconception that keeps coming up year after year. For example you can have tournament chips with denominations, but being tournament chips they would be NCV since they have no actual cash value.
basically +1

It’s the simplest thing you can do to separate yourself from cheap home game dice chips

I disagree. See above set. Nothing about that says "cheap"

Replying to dice chips with Tiger chips? Tiger chip and Paulson replies on this site are overdone. Yay you have chips that cost a lot, good for you. Now stop making everything about you.

If your players are idiots, then yes, a sign would be necessary. If you are playing with a halfway intelligent group that can remember three to four colors then all should be good.

After that failure of reading comprehension then has the audacity to suggest other people are idiots. Sit down and let the adults talk.

Onto the actual topic. If you went with ceramics you can have the denom printed along the border and edges like these EPT chips. Having the denom in all 6 sections of the border of your example could look a bit busy so every other section might work.
o7fy12d26h3q3m3wo6hy23jyder2.jpg

I ran a game for years that used non-denom chips. Also a game that used values 10x the actual. Never failed that someone got confused, especially at cash-out, after a few drinks. Can you do it? Sure.

Even my one-chip non-denom set had someone calling the wrong amount last weekend.

Now, calling them Vitamin A, B, C, D… is probably going to cause a lot of confusion, because you’re associating one identification system with another, which just adds brain cycles…

I’m having a hard time understanding why a big B look would look and function better than 25¢ on that chip?

If you’re having a hard time understanding where to put the denom, then there are a ton of options and folks that would be glad to help out.
But hey, if you’re going to slap a label on a Paulson chip, then just do it. Try it out and see. If it doesn’t work, then swap them out. Very little risk here.

Replying to dice chips with Tiger chips? Tiger chip and Paulson replies on this site are overdone. Yay you have chips that cost a lot, good for you. Now stop making everything about you.

After that failure of reading comprehension then has the audacity to suggest other people are idiots. Sit down and let the adults talk.

Onto the actual topic. If you went with ceramics you can have the denom printed along the border and edges like these EPT chips. Having the denom in all 6 sections of the border of your example could look a bit busy so every other section might work.
View attachment 1170250
Instantly one of my top 3 PCF responses.

I would get ripped on mercilessly if my chips had letters on em. "Hey, Ill bet 3 A's and a C!" Up to you, just a consideration.

Denoms are why i love my custom set, labeled micros. I center my game about being approachable to anybody and welcoming beginners so denoms are a no brainer and people love them.

It's a quick draft but the inlay should always be a vitamin, like A, B, C
Ohh, these is worse than having no denomination, you can confusing your players even more by replacing them with letters.

Poker chips are meant to be use as playholder for money, it going to confuse the shit out of people if normal Paper money are going to be call “A” note “B” note rather than “$5” note “$20” note

Last edited:
Ohh, these is worse than having no denomination, you can confusing your players even more by replacing them with letters.

Poker chips are meant to be use as playholder for money, it going to confuse the shit out of money if normal Paper money are going to be call “A” note “B” note rather than “$5” note “$20” note
haha I know, but that's what I like about it..

View attachment 1170250
nice idea, do you know if with Tina I can print on the edges/border?

Tournament sets where chipping up is necessary...I definitely prefer denominations.
Now cash games (usually 1 table) where u r using mainly two or 3 chips...having denominations or not having denominations is not an issue. If players can't remember 2 or 3 chip values they probably shouldn't be playing poker and should maybe look at UNO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom