China Clay Smell - Can it be fixed? (1 Viewer)

I hear putting them in a gallon of water with a few tablespoons of mineral oil does the trick!

This works, just roll it to the curb once the china clays are loaded up.
download (1).jpeg

Or just give them to an unsuspecting friend (thats what I did), just warn them to store them in the garage.

I've had my china clays (Progen 80) for over 10 years and aired them out, played with them, tried cleaning them but they still have that terrible smell. It will linger forever!

One would have thought that the VOCs would have stopped or tremendously slowed after such a long time. Unless it is the base material of the chip which is sublimation, in which case it will keep smelling until it is completely degraded/decomposed.

• Haha
Reactions: DRG
Is there any advice for making my china clays smell less? Will oiling them help the smell? Its not bad but a good wiff now and then is not pleasing.

Thanks!
The Royals samples I got didn't really have a smell. I was worried about it until I actually recieved them.

I had Milanos and it was the black hundos that really smelled bad. There was another colour that smelled a bit (i can’t remember now) but the hundos were like burnt tyres.

I don't smell anything from my Majestic and Bank samples, even when holding them right up to a nostril.

Ordered some Milanos from 2 diferent sources last week.

One set doesn't really smell at all. Maybe a faint smell of plastic/clay if you put your nose right up on them, but nothing noticeable.

The other set smells like straight BO. Imagine sitting next to someone at a concert that hasn't bathed in 3 weeks. That's how they smell.

One set doesn't really smell at all. Maybe a faint smell of plastic/clay if you put your nose right up on them, but nothing noticeable.

The other set smells like straight BO. Imagine sitting next to someone at a concert that hasn't bathed in 3 weeks. That's how they smell.
Which vendors?

Try Lume.

Two major things at work here:

1) Batches from different manufacturers: material composition may vary, which could mean different amounts and types of off-gassing.

2) Your own sensitivity: some people are more sensitive to these odors than others, due to genetic variability in the population.

I have had PI private cardroom CC for about 15years. Had them out on my bar this weekend and they still smell like BO

Last year had the family tourney after dinner. As I'm setting up the chips, my wife walks by me, stops, leans over and sniffs me. Stood up and then leaned in again for a second wiff..... I said " I swear, it's the chips. And I showered today.":ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Love my TINA chips, no smell. But I do like the look of those China clays

If I hold my Milano Crazy Horse to my nose and only when that close I can smell the a bit more pungent plastic material smell. None of the other chips on this table (below) have the same odor....again this is the last time I will likely be putting my nose down to the chips on the table lol....
If you have a very sensitive nose you could possibly notice this, After owning my set for a couple years any smell is long gone unless you put the chips close to your face.
When I first got them and was opening the rolls I remember the chips smelling like Chinese surplus ammunition (which is divine, lol) but after living in a wooden box in old bud jones trays the chips have aired out.

ErTgIw9.jpg
Back To The Future Love GIF

I just pulled out my oiled Royals that I bought a few months back. They have a slight stink but when I asked my wife if she smelled them she said she didn’t and then when I put it to her nose she asked ‘do people do this in your game?’ I think we are ok.

IMG_3033.jpeg

IMG_3034.jpeg

Try activated charcoal. Wouldn’t hurt them to be buried in it for a week or so. Vacuum sealing them with charcoal would be the most effective.

I’ve owned several sets and iterations of china clays over the years. I never noticed a smell from any of them.

But I can’t stand citronella, cilantro, or most melons/cucumbers.
I can tolerate garlic but I don't like it, and I’ll starve before I eat onions.
Animals won’t even eat bulbs. I don’t know who thought it would be a good idea for humans to eat them. Probably the same desperation that made them eat broccoli variants.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom