China clay smell (2 Viewers)

Garyrap28

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new member and I am sure this has probably been discussed but I thought I would ask anyway. Is there any way to reduce or eliminate that smell that comes with new china clay chips?

I have seen several different ways on YouTube to clean and oil chips. Is this something recommended for china clays, as they have stickers?

Unfortunately you seem to be sensitive to the offgassing from CC chips. Others can barely notice it, and some can't notice at all. It's genetic variation at play, and you may be stuck.

Unfortunately you seem to be sensitive to the offgassing from CC chips. Others can barely notice it, and some can't notice at all. It's genetic variation at play, and you may be stuck.
You may be right. Especially when i lift off the cover, the smell is overwhelming but playing it’s tolerable. I was hoping for a fix but it looks like I will just have to deal with it.

I play 2x monthly in a game with Majestics which were recently purchased, and haven’t noticed a smell. Also bought some Royals a while back to label as seating chips—no smell. Is my nose defective, or is this referring to other CCs?

Others can barely notice it, and some can't notice at all. It's genetic variation at play, and you may be stuck.

Is this kind of the chip version of cilantro? (Some people find cilantro absolutely disgusting, and can’t abide even a tiny bit of it.)

Is this kind of the chip version of cilantro? (Some people find cilantro absolutely disgusting, and can’t abide even a tiny bit of it.)
Nah, it’s a chemical smell. It’s hard to describe unless you smell. It’s tolerable but I wouldn’t miss it if it was gone.

I play 2x monthly in a game with Majestics which were recently purchased, and haven’t noticed a smell. Also bought some Royals a while back to label as seating chips—no smell. Is my nose defective, or is this referring to other CCs?
Both my royals and majestic smell. It dissipates if they are left exposed to air.

Yes. Exchange them for plastic, ceramic, or clay chips. Poof -- smell gone.
Agreed! I sold my Dunes commemoratives and poof! -- no more smell.

I wonder whether once certain people have encountered a particularly objectionable smell, the association of the smell with the object is planted in the brain -- a phantom smell, so to speak.

I haven't tried Pooph spray on stinky chips, but it works incredibly well for other (organic) applications. Not cheap, but probably worth a try....

Wow I wasn’t aware of this! I heard all about the smell some CC give off but when mine arrived I was pleasantly surprised they had little to no smell. Guess I may just be one of the lucky ones haha

I bought about 650 Apache pharaoh’s a few months back, oiled them and let them air dry for a few days. There’s a very faint chemical smell but it’s not terrible and I think you need to be looking for it to really smell it. This is my first set so I don’t have much to compare them to except odorless boring dice chips bought from Walmart

I bought about 650 Apache pharaoh’s a few months back, oiled them and let them air dry for a few days. There’s a very faint chemical smell but it’s not terrible and I think you need to be looking for it to really smell it. This is my first set so I don’t have much to compare them to except odorless boring dice chips bought from Walmart
If you store China clays in a case the smell builds up. It takes a few minutes after you lift the lid for the smell to dissipate. It’s not a big deal and is certainly tolerable. It would not stop me from buying China clays again.

I do store them in an apache 4800 most of the time when not in use... do they just need time for the offgassing to dissipate or will that smell always kind of be there?
Agreed on the china clays... love my set and itching to get a few more because a few games recently have pushed me to the upper limits of my chip bank

I do store them in an apache 4800 most of the time when not in use... do they just need time for the offgassing to dissipate or will that smell always kind of be there?
Agreed on the china clays... love my set and itching to get a few more because a few games recently have pushed me to the upper limits of my chip bank
Any smell will be more concentrated when stored in something like an Apache 4800. Won't bother some people but storing it outside of the case or with the case open would lessen the smell.

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones b/c I don’t notice much of a smell at all from my china clays
Same. I’m on my second set of Dunes (seller’s remorse), and wouldn’t have noticed the smell if not for the posts here. I only smell them when my nose is within one inch of the chips.

They do smell like recycled toxic plastic mixed with tears from forced labor, which I suppose…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom