Interest Cards Mold Group Buy - INTEREST ONLY (5 Viewers)

Would you participate in another Cards Mold Group Buy

• Total voters
@Eloe2000 would appreciate your thoughts on the label/inlay/sticker quality. From one of the images it looks like you could get a fingernail under there and potentially remove it?

@Eloe2000 would appreciate your thoughts on the label/inlay/sticker quality. From one of the images it looks like you could get a fingernail under there and potentially remove it?
The chips seem very high quality. The inlay also seems very high quality. The inlay seems very well secured.

I just got a shipment from Tina and she threw in some random stuff including a sample set of their hybrids. I remember someone asking about Tina’s hybrids. Was that in here? They look and feel great.

View attachment 774156View attachment 774157View attachment 774158View attachment 774160
Unfortunately, the textured laminated labels do not fit well in the recess of their 39mm hybrids, and cause spinners or excessive slickness.. Their thinner unlaminated labels fit fine.

Unfortunately, the textured laminated labels do not fit well in the recess of their 39mm hybrids, and cause spinners or excessive slickness.. Their thinner unlaminated labels fit fine.

Are you referring to Sunfly or Tina?

I don’t seem to have spinners in this sample, but you are right. I see what you mean that it is very tight clearance. I am not going to order any hybrids myself so I will let these get passed around and people can see for themselves who are interested.

"Hybrid" mixing what? Ceramic and _______?
Ceramic hybrids combine the material and dye-sub image printing of standard ceramics with the center inlay/decal feature of clay chips. Hybrids have a recessed center area for a printed laminated label, while the rest of the chips is dye-sub printed.

Ceramic hybrids combine the material and dye-sub image printing of standard ceramics with the center inlay/decal feature of clay chips. Hybrids have a recessed center area for a printed laminated label, while the rest of the chips is dye-sub printed.

... and (for @feltschmerz 's benefit) just to make things extra confusing, there's a different kind of ceramic chip that combines the features of ceramics and clays but in a different way. Most ceramics are plain, flat, featureless discs until printed on, but there are also molded ceramics which have shapes molded into the rim of the chip, similar to clays. We don't call these hybrids, we just call them molded ceramics.

Molded ceramics include the Sun-Fly PolyClay line and the Chinese vendors' "cards mold" chips (which are actually available in a few different designs, not just cards). Here's examples:

Sun-Fly PolyClay with cards and diamonds:

1631369512929.png

1631369940974.png

Chinese vendors' molded chips with cards from two different vendors, and diamonds:

1631369681326.png

1631369458008.png

And now, the hybrids. First, Sun-Fly's hybrids, which they call their PolyInno line. Hybrids are featureless (unlike the molded chips, they don't have any shapes molded into the rim) but they have a recessed center that can take a printed decal. This picture shows several different sizes of chip and decal:

1631370378981.png

And now, the newly-available hybrids from the Chinese vendor, picture taken from @Eloe2000 's post earlier in this thread:

1631370591787.png

Previously Sun-Fly was the only source for hybrid ceramics like this (full-face dye-sublimation printing plus a recess for a printed label). But now one of the Chinese ceramics vendors has stepped up with their own offering, presumably at a very affordable price. This is an exciting turn of events, to say the least.

And to add another layer to the complexity, there will soon be yet another type of ceramic chip. It will combine the features of both the ceramic hybrid (center recess with label) and the molded ceramic (debossed rim markings).

I suspect it will become commonly referred to as a "molded hybrid" ceramic chip.

And to add another layer to the complexity, there will soon be yet another type of ceramic chip. It will combine the features of both the ceramic hybrid (center recess with label) and the molded ceramic (debossed rim markings).

I suspect it will become commonly referred to as a "molded hybrid" ceramic chip.
I propose we call it "the Dave chip".

What is the latest on this?

I'm considering a new project and haven't yet decided on what medium I'm going to go with. Definitely going to be some kind of ceramic and definitely using 43mm chips, though.

There are too many places to put this, so I hope here works.

Note on thin white lines/letters on black:

My latest conversation with Tina indicated they have a hard time printing with black, particularly thin white letters on black. The black “swallows” the white, so their designers have been thickening all thin white letters so they print clearly.

Something to keep in mind when designing.

Relevant conversation below:
1632965350467.jpeg

1632965375166.jpeg

This contributes to why they want to keep using older files.

Note on sending designs:

I’ve seen this mentioned in side conversations, but to reiterate-

If you send them a new file, they’ll get it right. If you use an existing design, so long as you identify the correct one, you should be fine. If you submit a new design, please carefully work with them to identify what changed and ask for samples.

Who's in charge here? Are we running another large order? If so what's the timeline for closing artwork

Who's in charge here? Are we running another large order? If so what's the timeline for closing artwork
This thread was abandoned, but smaller group buys have spawned from it.

This thread was abandoned, but smaller group buys have spawned from it.
Can you point me in the direction of a group buy running I went through 3 pages of card mold threads and don't see any active

Can you point me in the direction of a group buy running I went through 3 pages of card mold threads and don't see any active
None that I know of are accepting new orders; most just waiting for delivery.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom