Interest Cards Mold Group Buy - INTEREST ONLY (1 Viewer)

Would you participate in another Cards Mold Group Buy

• Total voters

mnebesny

Flush
Reaction score
UPDATE 2021-08-04: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cards-mold-group-buy.75739/post-1581311

Doesn't look like anyone's run a Cards Mold group buy in a while. Anyone up for another one?

Details
For anyone new to PCF, this is a great opportunity to get reasonably priced custom (or stock) ceramics. Each person in the group buy would source the artwork themselves, and many site vendor artists offer stock designs that are ready to go if you just want cheap ceramics without of your own custom art (link below). Together, we hit the MOQ to get the preferred rate form the manufacturer, and share in the freight costs from China.

If anyone wants samples, I have a few I can lend out, and there are some color samples drifting around that members lend/sell.

Aside from the 39mm "cards mold", there's also a 39mm "diamonds" mold, and a plain mold in a bunch of different sizes. There's more info in @Eloe2000 's General Info thread linked below.

Some posts with more info:
Manufacturer's Price
Tina's Manufacturer:
  • 8000+ units: 32c USD/per
  • 10,000+ units: 30c USD/per
Anita's Manufacturer (unconfirmed):
  • 10,000+ units: 23c USD/per
  • 20,000+ units: 22c USD/per

Shipping
I'm happy to handle reshipping, but I do live in Canada, so it might be pricier than if someone from the US reships if most of the participants are American. If someone in the US wants to step up and handle reshipping, that's fine by me, and I'm happy to handle just the ordering and dealing with the manufacturer.

Tina also confirmed that even just in terms of freight costs it's much cheaper to ship to the CONUS than to Canada

Time Frame
Once we have enough interest, the general time frame would involve waiting a couple months for everyone to get ahold of their artwork and to get photos of the manufacturers samples. Then a few months to for the chips to take slow boat from Asia, plus whatever time it takes the reshipper to sort and ship the individual chips to everyone.

Next Steps
If you're interested, post in the thread roughly how many chips you'd be interested in, and if we hit 10,000 plus a reasonable margin of error then we can place an order. I'll also do my best to answer any questions anyone has.

UPDATES
  • 2021-08-04: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cards-mold-group-buy.75739/post-1581311 TL;DR, I've become swamped at work and am dealing with family issues. I won't be in a position to run a group buy until the winter. Other members can feel free to run their own group buys. Group buys general have caps around 10,000 chips, and so far there's enough interest to support at least 3 such group buys.
  • 2021-06-17: With overwhelming interest so far, it looks like there's very good chance of this happening. First order of business will be to pick a manufacturer (either Tina's company or Anita's company). @Eloe2000 has a great review/comparison here that points out the differences. The other priority is to determine whether the chips will be shipped to me in Canada, or different member in the CONUS. So far, I've had an offer from a member who is potentially willing to reship from the US, and he will confirm with me tomorrow whether he is in or out. I've updated the poll, please vote so we can see general preferences, as well as posting your comments in the thread so we can discuss.
Interest

Last edited:
Definitely interested, especially if the reshipping is within Canada, but I don't have a number yet. I'm working on behalf of a few other hosts in our league for a combined order for a custom design. I'll post when I have a better idea of the number.

Definitely interested, especially if the reshipping is within Canada, but I don't have a number yet. I'm working on behalf of a few other hosts in our league for a combined order for a custom design. I'll post when I have a better idea of the number.
Nice. I do know that freight charges from China to Canada are more than they are to the US, plus you get to pay our great Canadian Taxes :(. I was part of a Canadian based group buy before that ultimately opted to ship to the US because it still ended up being cheaper overall.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/canadian-cards-mold-group-buy-interest.69491/post-1406478

Maybe @vanislander or @Raphmivey can share more details

There have been 2 distributers used in the past. which are you looking at using.

anita or tina?

Nice. I do know that freight charges from China to Canada are more than they are to the US, plus you get to pay our great Canadian Taxes :(. I was part of a Canadian based group buy before that ultimately opted to ship to the US because it still ended up being cheaper overall.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/canadian-cards-mold-group-buy-interest.69491/post-1406478

Maybe @vanislander or @Raphmivey can share more details
There is always the option of doing a 3 stage reship, where the chips are originally imported in the US for freight/customs purposes, and then us Canadians can share MFRBs to effectively use the space and save as much as possible, and then reship any odds and ends domestically, for example if someone orders 800 chips but you can only fit 700 in a MFRB

There have been 2 distributers used in the past. which are you looking at using.

anita or tina?
I'm not too opinionated either way. I'm open to options/opinions from those participating.
If I'm not mistaken, I think Tina is more expensive, but Anita has a few issues like certain colors not coming out perfectly, a slightly lower resolution, and matte instead of glossy edged.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Tina is more expensive, but Anita has a few issues like certain colors not coming out perfectly, a slightly lower resolution, and matte instead of glossy edged.
tina also has trouble with stray color marks and is much slower production and delivery

If I have a US address, what’s the estimated cost difference for a CONUS reshipper vs a Canadian one?

If I have a US address, what’s the estimated cost difference for a CONUS reshipper vs a Canadian one?
Hmmm, good question. I mean, wherever the shipment ends up being sent to, as opposed to reshipping it an extra time. But probably the US. Like I said before, freight charges from China to Canada are more than they are to the US, plus you get to pay our great Canadian taxes that are generally higher than most states. I was part of a Canadian based group buy before that ultimately opted to ship to the US because it still ended up being cheaper overall.

hmmm, I'd be interested in perhaps a 600-1000 chip set. I'd prefer if reshipping was CONUS though. Is 10k chips the cheapest tier? Or is there a higher MOQ we can hit for cheaper chips?

Hmmm, good question. I mean, wherever the shipment ends up being sent to, as opposed to reshipping it an extra time. But probably the US. Like I said before, freight charges from China to Canada are more than they are to the US, plus you get to pay our great Canadian taxes that are generally higher than most states. I was part of a Canadian based group buy before that ultimately opted to ship to the US because it still ended up being cheaper overall.
Based on this, I think it might be better for everyone, including Canadians, for the reshipper to be located in the US?

Based on this, I think it might be better for everyone, including Canadians, for the reshipper to be located in the US?
That's what happened in the last Canadian cards mold group buy, the only catch is that I don't live in the US, so someone would have to volunteer to reship.

Reactions: khp
hmmm, I'd be interested in perhaps a 600-1000 chip set. I'd prefer if reshipping was CONUS though. Is 10k chips the cheapest tier? Or is there a higher MOQ we can hit for cheaper chips?
According to @Eloe2000 :

39mm cards mold:
$0.28 at > 10,000
$0.30 at > 2,000-5,000
$0.40 at > 500-1,000

43mm
$0.28 per chip at > 1,000

I think that's for Tina's vendor, I'm not sure about Anitas. Honestly the 2,000-5,000 tier seems pretty viable... it's only 2c per chip more

@Johnny5 make me my vector file
1623977110962.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom