Best deck of plastics (3 Viewers)

If they sold it as a regular Kem cards, not seconds, past return period regulations do not apply. Contact www.kem.com and company you purchased product from. Plus let us PCF where you bought them as a warning. Product is defective so they should replace it, at least that one card in particular.

I'll dig around to see if I can figure out where I bought them from.
This is also close to like a decade ago so I'd have to search through 100k emails.
I'll see if I can locate them in storage and message Kem and see if they'll do anything.
I can't seem to be able to buy circle backs anywhere (that I can google anyways) so I figured they were out of production.

I'll dig around to see if I can figure out where I bought them from.
This is also close to like a decade ago so I'd have to search through 100k emails.
I'll see if I can locate them in storage and message Kem and see if they'll do anything.
I can't seem to be able to buy circle backs anywhere (that I can google anyways) so I figured they were out of production.
Maybe you be able to get replacement.

And there's a little more to the story. Modiano had the money in-hand and essentially ignored a large-volume repeat customer who had a valid complaint regarding the unacceptable-quality delivered product. Would not even respond to inquries or follow-ups.

Desjgn also had the money in-hand (from prepaid orders), and rather than screw over his customers by merely delivering a flawed product and walking away, instead had new cards printed by a different manufacturer at his own expense and distributed those to his customers free of additional charges. Not even shipping charges.

Speaks volumes about both companies, and the people who run them.
I was looking at reviews all day on the forum/youtube but this comment SEALED the deal and went for a set of DESJGN Poker Size, Regular Index New 1 Set

Reactions: Dix
I can post pics a little later on, but I think the confusion with these comes from them using Modiano plastic card boxes to package and store their cards. I read somewhere a while back (don't know where) that buying the Modiano branded plastic boxes was cheaper when bought in bulk than manufacturing their own or buying them elsewhere. I'm rather certain these cards are a USA product and not made by Modiano, but I'll let others chime in here if they know anything.

Just got my Guild decks along with a bunch of other cards yesterday.

When you said they used Modiano boxes, you weren't kidding. As in the damn logo is still on the damn box!!

It certainly didn't feel like the PAs, maybe like Da Vincis.

Reactions: Dix
It certainly didn't feel like the PAs, maybe like Da Vincis.

Stiffer & heavier than DaVinci even.

At present they top the list in both weight & stiffness as far as acetate cards go. & given that, they're going to be on the thickest base stock as well.

If the word "indestructible" in on your list of criteria... they might be as close as it gets.

I've only tried two plastic decks: Cartamundi Aces and Bicycle Prestige. I've really enjoyed playing with the Aces and like them a lot more than the Prestige, which I find too slippery to handle well. I do with the red ink on the Aces wasn't so dark, though.

I don't like the spade design of the modiano and the warping problems concern me with KEM so my next plastic decks will either be COPAG or Desjgn.

I've only tried two plastic decks: Cartamundi Aces and Bicycle Prestige. I've really enjoyed playing with the Aces and like them a lot more than the Prestige, which I find too slippery to handle well. I do with the red ink on the Aces wasn't so dark, though.

I don't like the spade design of the modiano and the warping problems concern me with KEM so my next plastic decks will either be COPAG or Desjgn.
Go with desjgn if that's what you have it narrowed to. Not that Copag is bad, but support an awesome vendor here and IMO for a superior product,

So at our game this Sunday there was a particular player that was really bending the cards in play (Da Vinci). After a few rounds it was pretty noticeable as the cards were not laying flat anymore, I actually had to remove them from play and bring out a brand new deck. Are Da Vinci's that bad or is this player just really mishandling the cards? I did bring it up in conversation and he said "maybe you should buy some better cards" and I was like "tell me what you consider a better brand and I will buy them"... he couldn't answer. So now I'm tempted to buy a desk of Bullet Playing Cards and was hoping to get some feedback on these before pulling the trigger.

Faded Spades might be your best bet. Those suckers are stiff and may be fool proof to help with your player induced warp.

Might try some Faded Spades too if you get a chance. They're quite stiff but a really cool card with a great texture in my opinion.

I 'm generally a fan of poker-sized cards (basic reason being you can only find among them indexes on all 4 corners, normal, let alone Jumbo ones), but I can admit bridge-sized cards are easier to shuffle (if you don't have a mechanical shuffler that is).

I 've been happy enough not to buy everything I tried, thanks to friends, but still I can tell you that if "Bridge size, jumbo index" is your thing, there 's no better option than the Fournier 2826. The reds (hearts and diamonds) are vivid too, in contrast to some other Fournier models. Fuckin' expensive though, even in Europe. Still cheaper than KEM, at least on this side of the Pond.

I 'm generally a fan of poker-sized cards (basic reason being you can only find among them indexes on all 4 corners, normal, let alone Jumbo ones), but I can admit bridge-sized cards are easier to shuffle (if you don't have a mechanical shuffler that is).

I 've been happy enough not to buy everything I tried, thanks to friends, but still I can tell you that if "Bridge size, jumbo index" is your thing, there 's no better option than the Fournier 2826. The reds (hearts and diamonds) are vivid too, in contrast to some other Fournier models. Fuckin' expensive though, even in Europe. Still cheaper than KEM, at least on this side of the Pond.
If you looking for bargain I recommend https://www.naipeszaca.com/en/35-bridge-100-plastico

@Jambine please tell me the source of the sadness, so I could (probably) fix that :)

I agree with @Coyote. Foruiner 2826's are crazy nice. Something about their feel and look just kinda does it all. The story behind their products and history too just makes me like them more.

Anyone been/or recently used their Jumbo Index Bridge Kem's? I've never gotten any into play. Still contemplating shelling out the $$$ for them.

I agree with @Coyote. Foruiner 2826's are crazy nice. Something about their feel and look just kinda does it all. The story behind their products and history too just makes me like them more.

Anyone been/or recently used their Jumbo Index Bridge Kem's? I've never gotten any into play. Still contemplating shelling out the $$$ for them.
I did ...nice game every day

My first all plastic deck was a souvenir from Tokyo Disneyland back in the 80s.

Super sturdy and super slick. At the time they felt amazing. If memory serves they remind me of Ritzes. (IKR? How times have changed).

Playing serious poker my first deck was a tournament-used WSOP Kem set. That set the standard for me, in terms of how I wanted a card to feel under my hand and how much more durable I wanted my cards to be.

This led me to the Modiano PAs and (probably because Covid has prevented me from torture testing them yet), Desjgns which are my current standard.

How do the Modiano PA compare feel and stiffness wise to that of the standard Modiano decks (i.e. Da Vinci, Bridge Club)?

The biggest perceptible difference is the finish, if we are talking about the Da Vincis. They feel smoother (as opposed to slicker) than Da Vincis and they shuffle a little better (though the Da Vincis shuffle well, IMHO). Shuffle for a 4 hour session and you will see what I mean.

With the cheaper Modiano decks like the Texas Holdem Poker its a whole new world. The Texases I got feel so bad that they totally do not coincide with the Redneck Database stats and I am suspicious I got a fake set. The ones I had felt thick, rough edged (I felt I was getting paper cuts) and shuffled like legos.

One of my regular groups uses Da Vincis and the one I run uses Modiano PAs. This is purely anecdotal but I feel the PAs have the slight advantage as to durability.

Since these are both well-made decks, the first signs of wear come from fading. The first things to go are the thin black lines bordering the beige rectangles where the pips are. Then comes the fading of the suits. Reds before blacks, in my experience.

I’d love to try out the Desjgn cards. Is it possible to get them in black and red instead of black/gold or red/blue?

The biggest perceptible difference is the finish, if we are talking about the Da Vincis. They feel smoother (as opposed to slicker) than Da Vincis and they shuffle a little better (though the Da Vincis shuffle well, IMHO). Shuffle for a 4 hour session and you will see what I mean.

With the cheaper Modiano decks like the Texas Holdem Poker its a whole new world. The Texases I got feel so bad that they totally do not coincide with the Redneck Database stats and I am suspicious I got a fake set. The ones I had felt thick, rough edged (I felt I was getting paper cuts) and shuffled like legos.

One of my regular groups uses Da Vincis and the one I run uses Modiano PAs. This is purely anecdotal but I feel the PAs have the slight advantage as to durability.

Since these are both well-made decks, the first signs of wear come from fading. The first things to go are the thin black lines bordering the beige rectangles where the pips are. Then comes the fading of the suits. Reds before blacks, in my experience.

The card stock of those Da Vinci's feel like fine grit sand paper glued on top of rugged cardboard. Only thing I like about them is their visibility and art work but that can be found in plenty elsewhere. My Da Vinci's starting fading in the exact spots you mentioned with the Texas' less than 2 months in with weekly play. Disappointing for sure but expected at that price point. Because they are so worn and rough to shuffle for long period of times IMO, I just use them as my trash deck either by the pool or when camping (wouldn't be too upset if one accidentally flopped into the camp fire).

I've been thinking about getting their PA set up just to have one. Thanks for pointing out some differences in these compared to the Da Vinci's. I had always wondered how they matched up against Kems. However, I'll most likely give desjgn my money and buy more of Jason's set ups as his cards are damn near the best thing I can find on the market, IMO.

Last edited:
The card stock of those Da Vinci's feel like fine grit sand paper glued on top of rugged cardboard. Only thing I like about them is their visibility and art work but that can be found in plenty elsewhere. My Da Vinci's starting fading in the exact spots you mentioned with the Texas' less than 2 months in with weekly play. Disappointing for sure but expected at that price point. Because they are so worn and rough to shuffle for long period of times IMO, I just use them as my trash deck either by the pool or when camping (wouldn't be too upset if one accidentally flopped into the camp fire).

I've been thinking about getting their PA set up just to have one. Thanks for pointing out some differences in these compared to the Da Vinci's. I had always wondered how they matched up against Kems. However, I'll most likely give desjgn my money and buy more of Jason's set ups as his cards are damn near the best thing I can find on the market, IMO.

I really want to like the Desjgns because of the price point, the fact that they have jumbo bridges and the crap Modiano put on 'em. I've bought both the jumbo pokers and jumbo bridges but only about 3 sessions will show how they stand up to wear.

We don't use card shufflers and we use 2 decks per table, with one of the guys (usually me) shuffling to de-load the dealer. To lower the wear and tear I've taken to doing the bare minimum for the proper shuffle (wash-2 riffles, a strip, a riffle and a cut). I notice that I don't I usually wind up shuffling more than I have to. Also, I've tried to stick with the minimalist riffle rather than one where after your riffle them you form an arced bridge before sliding them together. Looks nice but I figure more wear and tear =)

How do the Modiano PA compare feel and stiffness wise to that of the standard Modiano decks (i.e. Da Vinci, Bridge Club)?

For their own branded decks, Modiano use 2 different base stocks. A "standard" (I guess you could call it) they use for the Platinum line & the like (PA) & a thinner stock used for the cheaper "Texas Poker" line, which is also what Jason used for his old Desjgn decks.

Both are listed in the database & you can do all the comparisons for flex there.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/resources/the-redneck-poker-card-database-2-0.76/

It's also worth noting that Modiano's manufacturing tolerances seem to be a bit "looser" than most. (& we won't get into Quailty Control issues again, some people's blood pressures are still yet to recover :D )

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom