Barrington poker table thread (24 Viewers)

Holy crap, what a difference! Halfway done, and I just thought I would test it out. I guess I'm just used to crappy tables and surfaces, but the difference is like playing air hockey with the air on vs the air off! What an easy project and massive upgrade...

IMG_2757.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap, what a difference! Halfway done, and I just thought I would test it out. I guess I'm just used to crappy tables and surfaces, but the difference is like playing air hockey with the air on vs the air off! What an easy project and massive upgrade...

View attachment 383600
Very nice, which speed felt did you use? Planning to so deeper cup holders or having okay luck with the current size?

Got it from Texas Poker Supplies. $5 per foot. Bought 9 feet and probably could have gotten away with 8. Planning to replace the cupholders down the road, but that's an easy project. The current ones come back out easy and should be easy to drill new holes. Project for another day.

Did anyone swap out the cup holders yet for shallow ones? I ordered some from Amazon, but don't know what portable saw I should use for cutting.

All great upgrades, just curious why start with a purchased table for 130 - 160, then buy speed cloth cup holders and handles when you can get ply wood for that and cut to your table size you want, yes i understand you still need foam for rails, marine vinyl l for rail covers neoprene for under speed cloth.

Is it time management? buying the base saves time

All great upgrades, just curious why start with a purchased table for 130 - 160, then buy speed cloth cup holders and handles when you can get ply wood for that and cut to your table size you want, yes i understand you still need foam for rails, marine vinyl l for rail covers neoprene for under speed cloth.

I think that for most people these tables are backup tables or temporary tables (needed out of necessity) so putting in the money, time, and effort to build one from scratch isn’t that attractive for someone who hasn't done this type of thing before. My table all in was about $180 (new felt, deep cup holders, new center bracket, and carrying handles) for a total of 5 hours of amateur carpentry. I could have bought the additional tools and scrap supplies but would be afraid after 5 days, I’d look down and see this:
6C17E2D9-35B9-4254-8A4F-566B8AD169FE.jpeg

Could I eventually learn and execute a pretty good looking poker table? Yes. It’s just personally, not worth the additional time it’d take someone with my skill level to do right now.

Last edited:
What he said. I'll just add in that due to space, I needed a folding table, which adds complexity. And I just wasn't confident in my skills to pull it off well. Replacing the cloth and cup holders re ridiculously easy projects. Building one from scratch is a much bigger commitment.

Picked up the table for $119 at Walmart and played a game on the original very loose, very pillowy felt. The felt aside, it's a nice table for the cost +tax & free shipping.

I have inexpensive "speed cloth" (all polyester for $29 - perfectly fine for this table) coming Friday, from Amazon, and will have to dig out some old cup holders to see if they fit diameter-wise before committing to that upgrade initially. Either way: much less expensive than a full build from scratch.

@Irish , anyone else: Question regarding the cable running between the table legs: There is no tension on it, so I fail to see how it lends any support. Anyone else in this boat or are your cables taught?

@Irish , anyone else: Question regarding the cable running between the table legs: There is no tension on it, so I fail to see how it lends any support. Anyone else in this boat or are your cables taught?
Lots of people have noted the same. There's a way to fix it but I completely forget how someone said to do it.

You really can't beat the price - raw materials alone would cost far more than a Barrington with the standard upgrades. And yes building your own table takes some time - although most people who take on the challenge can get it done in a couple of weekends.

Plus the fact that it folds and stores conveniently, and free shipping to your door make it pretty much the best value for the money.

Not sure, never seen one of these up close. But based on the pics ITT, the cable looks like it provides a secondary catch/support for the middle piano hinge. If it functions fine with the cable slack I'd think you could just leave it as is, but if its sagging at the hinge it'll probably need to be reset.

Question regarding the cable running between the table legs: There is no tension on it, so I fail to see how it lends any support. Anyone else in this boat or are your cables taught?
Are you checking when the table is standing? It's kind of annoying when unfolding the table, but mine pulls taut when the table is standing up. Definitely seems to add a layer of security.

Not sure, never seen one of these up close. But based on the pics ITT, the cable looks like it provides a secondary catch/support for the middle piano hinge. If it functions fine with the cable slack I'd think you could just leave it as is, but if its sagging at the hinge it'll probably need to be reset.
Are you checking when the table is standing? It's kind of annoying when unfolding the table, but mine pulls taut when the table is standing up. Definitely seems to add a layer of security.

Yep, when standing it's a bit slack. The table held level during our first game, but everything wears over time. Maybe it will pull taught if the middle sags, but seems it should have tension before it comes to that point.

If it becomes an issue I'll give some thought to mending plates & bolts with wingnuts/turnbuckles/C-clamps/making it a permanent table, etc.. Thanks for the responses & insight

I received mine as a gift. My wife is aware that I like all things poker but it’s no fun buying your husband plywood and foam padding. ;)

Our game went for 6-8 people to 10-12, so I needed a second table. I plan to add the speed cloth, but this was a cheap option for a second table that is Immediately usable, then when I have some time I can work on the upgrades

Very nice, which speed felt did you use? Planning to so deeper cup holders or having okay luck with the current size?
Deeper cup holders are must! Take measurements to ensure the upgraded cup holders will allow clearance when folding the table for storage. Amazon has plenty to choose from. Here a link for the ones I went with!
DA VINCI Lot of 10 Drop in Stainless Steel Poker Table Cup Holders, Fits Standard Soda Can or Beer Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W2JBLJJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rEGeEbRV1V2AG

It’s not pretty but it’s functional!
What brand was the charging station and where did you purchase it?

74C5274B-D7CF-4DA0-BBA8-D5EFACD107E3.jpeg

Thanks to this thread, I bit the bullet and replaced the surface on my ESPN table. I had some dimmable lights lying around, so I replaced the super bright and unusable ones while I was at it. There are definitely some tricks to this versus the standard brown table, but it wasn’t difficult at all. Adding deeper cup holders and a turnbuckle for the leg cable later this week, but it’s ten times more playable already!

View attachment 388950

Thanks to this thread, I bit the bullet and replaced the surface on my ESPN table. I had some dimmable lights lying around, so I replaced the super bright and unusable ones while I was at it. There are definitely some tricks to this versus the standard brown table, but it wasn’t difficult at all. Adding deeper cup holders and a turnbuckle for the leg cable later this week, but it’s ten times more playable already!
Looks great. what kind of tricks would you say to pay attention to for the ESPN table? I am planning to try this soon myself.

Looks awesome! Take any pics of the lighting replacement process?

I didn’t take any pictures, but it was pretty straightforward. The lighting I used to replace the original was the same style and size. I had to peel the original off anyway. The new is just stuck to the spacer board with the 3M tape that came on it. The light strips feed through a hole in the table near the edge of the spacer board, and they plug into wires from a remote module that replaces the block from the original lights. With the lights I used, I don’t think you can get by without having a splitter off the box to run two separate light ribbons.

Looks great. what kind of tricks would you say to pay attention to for the ESPN table? I am planning to try this soon myself.

Use a flat pry bar between the table and the spacer board and be careful. The spacer board is brad nailed to the table. Peel the lights off and be prepared with double sided tape if you want to add them back. (Before I remembered I had this other set, a friend had recommended putting the lights under the table for a cool “underglow” effect. I think this is preferable to trying to use such bright lights without a diffuser.) If you are scrapping the lights, you will want to paint the inside rim of the spacer. I also considered replacing the spacer boards and making the table deeper. This would leave a gap on the outside that would need to be considered. (Another potential place for the lights.) the cupholders are glued to the spacer board, which is thin MDF, so the flat pry bar is essential again, as you pull them away carefully.

I didn’t take off any legs or hinges. My fabric is attached in the gap in the middle of the table and I see no reason to do otherwise.

Once fabric is attached, nail the spacer back down and screw the rail on, same as the brown table.

Time and tools are a big factor. Also, the cost can add up quick, even if you're buying basic materials.

I'm working on my first custom build now and it's coming in right around $475 in total materials cost. Granted, that is with an upgraded table layout and legs, but even with basic legs and speed cloth, the total is more than you might think.

Here's my recent build spreadsheet modified with suited speed cloth and basic folding table legs to keep the cost down...

1578548068215.png

And that still requires one to have a jigsaw, power drill, and driver. You'll also need a host of other things, like a staple gun, utility knife, forstner bits, sawhorses, wood screws, extra jigsaw blades, etc. An air compressor and pneumatic stapler are nice bonuses as well. And let's not forget the weekend or so (and workshop space) that you'll need to build the thing. For some one new to woodworking and/or power tools, the costs, space, and time commitment can be substantial.

For a first time table build you could easily exceed $400, even if you already have most of the tools. The Barrington table, even with upgrades, is still well under $200, which is an incredibly attractive option as a pre-built alternative.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom