Auctions - have folks lost interest (1 Viewer)

BHB

Flush
Reaction score
Is it just me - or are auctions not getting much attention. I ran one a week or so ago and was surprised how few folks had any interest --- perhaps it was just stuff folks were not interested in. I was going to auction off a barrel or two of extra HSI $500 chips I have - but have doubts folks will even notice.....maybe it is just me...

Attachments

• IMG_6973.jpg
    IMG_6973.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 89
Is it just me - or are auctions not getting much attention. I ran one a week or so ago and was surprised how few folks had any interest --- perhaps it was just stuff folks were not interested in. I was going to auction off a barrel or two of extra HSI $500 chips I have - but have doubts folks will even notice.....maybe it is just me...
I think it’s the lack of exposure with not being in classifieds anymore, sadly I wish it was back In the classifieds section

Hey - your photo shows 200 - HSI $5k secondary ----- or is that one rack on a mirror....

I have a feeling you'll have no trouble selling those.

That being said, it's a combination of a few things. Auctions were moved into their own subforum where they're not as visible. Not too many people playing with COVID surging again. Lots of uncertainty with some folks and their jobs. Just in the last week alone I've heard of three people with over 15 years devoted to their company let go. We haven't seen even close to how dire things are going to get in terms of the economy. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Lots more are going to lose their jobs and their businesses in the coming months.

Nice chips, though!

I have a feeling you'll have no trouble selling those.

That being said, it's a combination of a few things. Auctions were moved into their own subforum where they're not as visible. Not too many people playing with COVID surging again. Lots of uncertainty with some folks and their jobs. Just in the last week alone I've heard of three people with over 15 years devoted to their company let go. We haven't seen even close to how dire things are going to get in terms of the economy. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Lots more are going to lose their jobs and their businesses in the coming months.

Nice chips, though!
That is sad - my weekly poker game is just doing Poker Stars along with zoom ....

Based on comments I've read here and there, it seems there is a large contingent of members of this community who just refuse to participate in auctions altogether, perhaps as a way of protesting sales that could drive up market prices. IMO, that sentiment is more responsible for flat auctions than a lack of exposure. Prior to the switch over, I saw plenty of auctions go for less than the exact same chips were selling for via the classifieds.

Based on comments I've read here and there, it seems there is a large contingent of members of this community who just refuse to participate in auctions altogether, perhaps as a way of protesting sales that could drive up market prices. IMO, that sentiment is more responsible for flat auctions than a lack of exposure. Prior to the switch over, I saw plenty of auctions go for less than the exact same chips were selling for via the classifieds.
There's a lot of us who are grumbly about auctions. But I think there's very very few of us who aren't jumping in when the chips are the ones we really want.

There's a lot of us who are grumbly about auctions. But I think there's very very few of us who aren't jumping in when the chips are the ones we really want.
This. The right chips will do well at an auction. But most auctions just feel like a money grab, and I refuse to take part.

Now a rack of LCO $5s? I bid tree fiddy.

Lack of exposure is the popular answer, and my answer as well, although I guess it's been disproven by the powers that be.

I have trouble with Steppenwolf's example above, since I've seen somewhat regularly on auctions after they close, more than one person lamenting that they missed it. For whatever reason, it would appear that now more than before, people are missing auctions.

As someone who has won probably 30-40 auctions in my short time here (and probably more involved than anyone in non set auctions), I can share my take. I used to have fun doing auctions. Things came up for auction that you didn't normally see or for special reasons, and it was cool to be involved in that, whether gunning for something you could use or pitching towards a good cause. I won 5 of Kifers for his new custom set, 11 of Toby's 12 customs, random racks that weren't around at the time, great custom sets, full THC sets, oooo those Radissons.
(edit: to add to this, people ran auctions at $0 or low starting prices. I was picking up MAD shit when I joined via auction, it was a blast. And guess what, those were resold at the SAME price. It was slow and dry at that time. Now? Prices are jacked, everyone's digging for pennies, and auctions are starting towards top pricing, because why would you let it go cheap?)

Now? You have people that auction off their 20 starbursts, and their 40 roulettes, and their 100 mermaids, and normal everyday nonsense. Or you have others that run auctions regularly for a week or 10 days. And then bump every day with literally no other involvement.

Do we need to find the "market value" on .20 a chip barrels? Do we need to so desperately ensure that every single person on the site over 2 weeks sees that one custom or one rack that isn't that rare?

Everyone can think what they want, but it's pretty obvious. So, to those people who need to auction every single sale, or run them for weeks, have a great time. Too bad auctions are poo poo for awhile, maybe they'll be fun again soon.

(I don't care how people sell, I love everyone equal, their chips their decision. Just connecting people's decision making and how it's obviously connected to OPs topic.)

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything auctioned within the past (as long as I can remember) that interested me in the slightest. It's not the format...I just haven't seen anything I wanted.

I auctioned ten lots and used 100% the money for the local soccer league. I think they all sold extremely light. For me it wasn’t a cash grab it was convenient and ended at a time that I chose best for me and my schedule to mail said auctions. Cash grab seems super beyond far fetched. Everyone has told me beware auctions bring in a lot less. The real cash grab to me is most eBay listings with huge reserves or here with huge starting bids and no bidders. See recent cancelled auction it started at 1000 and no one bid after 2 days so he canceled it. That’s a Textbook cash grab to me.

lol @upNdown if someone has a legit auction up for that right now I'm literally, as in literally, not aware. I was just trying to list random cheap chips that I know of.

I auctioned ten lots and used 100% the money for the local soccer league. I think they all sold extremely light. For me it wasn’t a cash grab it was convenient and ended at a time that I chose best for me and my schedule to mail said auctions. Cash grab seems super beyond far fetched. Everyone has told me beware auctions bring in a lot less. The real cash grab to me is most eBay listings with huge reserves.
That's one of those fun specific instances. Noone's dogging those, I think this is a more conceptual overarching discussion, that starts at a time before you joined (and heck maybe before I joined).

exposure. Just saw an auction tat is now closed that I would have bid on. I generaly only look at new posts and for sale.

Now? You have people that auction off their 20 starbursts,
I love these people!!!

All kidding aside...I think the subject matter is the key. Auction something really worth an auction, and bids will come. Auction something like White Starbursts and the top bid will be whoever puts it there first??

I have trouble with Steppenwolf's example above
I should clarify my statement above to be more precise. Lack of exposure may very well be a thing with auctions. All I meant to say was that whatever the reasons are, I think those factors were present long before the switchover (i.e., where auctions were located within the forum).

I should clarify my statement above to be more precise. Lack of exposure may very well be a thing with auctions. All I meant to say was that whatever the reasons are, I think those factors were present long before the switchover (i.e., where auctions were located within the forum).
Gotcha. Not that it matters, but agreed. :tup:

I looked at the auction thread today for the first time in weeks. Saw a shit ton of auctions that were still open but had ended days or weeks ago. Not going to look at everything just to find the active ones. Out of sight out of mind mostly since it’s been moved.

I looked at the auction thread today for the first time in weeks. Saw a shit ton of auctions that were still open but had ended days or weeks ago. Not going to look at everything just to find the active ones. Out of sight out of mind mostly since it’s been moved.
+1 That's my biggest turn off from the auction area. So many people apparently don't know how to close out threads. I just avoid it now.

Seriously, it's not hard too close a thread. Like.... really, really easy.

+1 That's my biggest turn off from the auction area. So many people apparently don't know how to close out threads. I just avoid it now.

Seriously, it's not hard too close a thread. Like.... really, really easy.
Funnily enough, once an auction is marked sold, it goes back to the classifieds. Becomes a bit of a shit show searching for things if you don't remember the title/thread owner, since you don't even know which tab to browse.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom