Tourney Anyone not go broke here? (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
5 table tourney This afternoon… Down to final table bubble. Aggressive blinds. im the short stack with 65k, blinds at 3/6k.

I’ve been brutalized with coolers for the previous 4 hours. Managed to not go completely broke, but just folded my KK pre vs a 5 bet for all my chips. I was against a Very tight player, who showed AA when I mucked.

in the current hand, player in MP min raises to 12k, the button calls (both players have monster stacks. I am in the big blind and look down at :9h::th:, I close the action, and toss in the extra 1 bb.

flop comes :ah::kh::ts:…. I have under 55k left in my stack, pot is ~40k.

I rip it in…. MP folds, and the button snaps me off with :qh::jh: I’m drawing stone cold dead. bah.. gg.

I think that was a decent spot to squeeze pre, but as played shoving flop seems standard.

Not dead, 9 10, 10 10 or 9 9 still good for you. I would have folded pre but would have been out with the KK hand as would have got it all in there regardless
Exactly this.

I'll also add that if you dont know the answer to your original question then you should stop playing poker. :cool

I guess I am a nit, because I think this is a fold pre. You have 10 bigs, probably enough to limp in to the money, then find spots to be shoving your stack first in. This is a huge ICM spot where you just need to clear out.

EDIT: hang on..."final table bubble" or money bubble? If these are different, how long until the money? If you have a ways to go until money, it might change it to an all in pre....but it's probably still a fold. Not sure if you have a few spots to go until the money.

With your stack, you should be looking for places to pick up the blinds. If you think you have fold equity, you can shove over top of a player with a speculative hand. Probably not two big stacks. Your hand is pretty, but it's a deep stack hand.

Yeah, it's just a fold pre.

Last edited:
late in the game and youre small stacked, you have to pick a decent hand and shove. Like the others said, I would have gone AI with the kings.

Chris has the right idea. With an M near 6, I recommend all in or fold, not a limp for even one BB. Limping applies no pressure and gives up one way to win (i.e., opp folding). The money bubble, other stack sizes, and your gut matters on whether 9Ts is good enough.

5 table tourney This afternoon… Down to final table bubble. Aggressive blinds. im the short stack with 65k, blinds at 3/6k.

I’ve been brutalized with coolers for the previous 4 hours. Managed to not go completely broke, but just folded my KK pre vs a 5 bet for all my chips. I was against a Very tight player, who showed AA when I mucked.

in the current hand, player in MP min raises to 12k, the button calls (both players have monster stacks. I am in the big blind and look down at :9h::th:, I close the action, and toss in the extra 1 bb.

I rip it in…. MP folds, and the button snaps me off with :qh::jh: I’m drawing stone cold dead. bah.. gg.
I fold pre since out of position post flop…in late position I play the hand the same pre.
This way you can fold to a bet, the flop is not a good one for our hand.
Flush only hits 12%, I try to avoid hands like these on the bubble

I haven't gone broke here yet. My Father use to tell me everything in moderation, which I have tried to adhere to, however, that was before Tiger chips. I can see why you are concerned.

My advice is to only buy what you can afford without having to sell a kidney.

I don't mind a defend here even if short. I also don't mind a shove. Actually I think all three option's are in the table in this spot, depending on the other two players image and if you think you can get folds. If on the money bubble with other short stacks its probably a fold for icm.

i was not at 10bb with the kings hand. It was a very exploitive read. i knew the guy had aces. It’s one of the first times I can remember in my pokercareer folding kings pre.

we were on the final table bubble. This tourney is very very top heavy. 5 tables and only top 5 make the money. I busted in 11th place. Our table was 5 handed, so I was going to hit the blinds in a few hands. I needed to make moves. Shoving pre wasn’t appealing, when I had two guys with huge stacks showing some interest.

I recognize I could have played the hand better by not playing the hand. I don’t know that I hate my play here, but there is room for growth… i usually have a plan in these situations, and my plan was to see a flop and if I was connected, shove. A pair and a flush draw is usually a hand I’ll go to war with. But in hindsight, the board was a VERY coordinated.

Yeah, that’s a fold pre. If you choose to jam based on table dynamics or reads that’s fine too. Limping flatting is just about the worst thing you can do in this spot.

Edit: meant flatting, not limping.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s a fold pre. If you choose to jam based on table dynamics or reads that’s fine too. Limping is just about the worst thing you can do in this spot.
Don’t agree, limping for one extra BB is alright, flop could have been 91010…
Shoving in early position was the mistake (imho), in that position you only get called by winners or flipping at best against a big stack

Don’t agree, limping for one extra BB is alright, flop could have been 91010…
Shoving in early position was the mistake (imho), in that position you only get called by winners or flipping at best against a big stack
Agree. With that flop its probably better to check call or check raise allin. Give them some rope just in case they wanna bluff at it. Don't see how you don't go broke in this hand though vs QJhh its just a cooler. If they have an ace you are never getting them off the hand with shoving, but with a pair and a flush draw you're getting it in somehow even if you know they have a better pair imo. However it's nice to let them keep some bluffs in their range as well, which you remove by openshoving on the flop. Maybe they will fire with a smaller pair, some low connectors or whatever, and you get some more value in there.

Last edited:

Honestly, I don't hate the call here. you call an additional 6k to potentially hit a good flop and double up. You just happened to run into the 1 hand that has you drawing nearly dead (without running 10s and/or 9's). I think if you shove that hand, you most likely get called by the raiser (pending stack sizes) as well. As played, I'd go broke as well on that flop. Tough result for sure, but as they say. GG.

If there is an ante involved you just can't fold here or y for the extra 1 BB. Once this flop hits you have a good bit of equity against any A. I'm not sure you fold on this flop. Though if all the pair+FD flops, this is one of the sketchiest as there are a lot of 2 pair+ holdings out there.

If no ante, I think it's close between calling and folding, but I still probably toss in the call.

A lot of people have already said this, but I'll chime in too. I wouldn't have shoved the flop. And I probably would have folded if i checked and the original opener c-bet and there was a call behind him before me.

But it doesn't matter because I would have went broke on the KK hand earlier.

i was not at 10bb with the kings hand. It was a very exploitive read. i knew the guy had aces. It’s one of the first times I can remember in my pokercareer folding kings pre.

we were on the final table bubble. This tourney is very very top heavy. 5 tables and only top 5 make the money. I busted in 11th place. Our table was 5 handed, so I was going to hit the blinds in a few hands. I needed to make moves. Shoving pre wasn’t appealing, when I had two guys with huge stacks showing some interest.

I recognize I could have played the hand better by not playing the hand. I don’t know that I hate my play here, but there is room for growth… i usually have a plan in these situations, and my plan was to see a flop and if I was connected, shove. A pair and a flush draw is usually a hand I’ll go to war with. But in hindsight, the board was a VERY coordinated.

I don't take as harsh a view on Hero's play as others. I understand the case made for going all in pre and the argument for folding pre.

I don't like playing this hand out of position when I am facing a big chip disadvantage. I also tend to tighten up and exercise a greater amount of patience when I am not running well. So while I do side on folding in this spot, I don't believe it is unequivocally bad that Hero called, for the simple reason that we are playing five handed.

:ah::kh::ts: is about the worst good flop that could hit Hero three handed. I am more critical of the post flop shove then I am the pre-flop call for an obvious reason. Hero is not going to get a superior hand to fold in light of the stack sizes.

That said, not running good for a prolonged period in a MTT with the clock ticking is unsettling and can influence the decision making process.

Two examples:

Not long ago, I busted out of a 32 player tournament in 11th place with A,J off-suit. Same as Hero, we were down to five players at my table. Average chip stack was around 26BB's iirc. Hero was in the SB with 18 or 19 BB's behind. I played the entire tournament with a below average chip stack. Action folded to me and I decided to raise. The BB popped me and I shoved. He had A/Q off-suit. GG. In hindsight, I am not happy with the way I played this hand.

This was the first MTT I had played in since Covid and it was very important to me that I ran deep, in part because I rarely have the opportunity to play in such events. That pressure, along with the frustration of not being able to build any momentum, likely effected my play.

Around ten years ago, I made the final five in a 40 player tournament. The blinds had reached a ridiculously high point. All of us had between five and ten big blinds. I was one of the two small stacks. Action folded to me (on the button). I looked down at :as::5s: and decided that was as good a hand as any to jam all-in. The big blind woke up with Jacks. I lost.

I am not disappointed in my play. I think it was the right move. It just didn't work out in my favor.

Often, we are our best critics, if we choose to be objective.

I noticed you hosted a tournament Thursday, https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/fat-tire-blog.26961/post-2048350. That tells me you have already appraised your play and have put it behind you, as I would expect from any good caliber player.

I hope you did well.

Last edited:
I don't take as harsh a view on Hero's play as others. I understand the case made for going all in pre and the argument for folding pre.

I don't like playing this hand out of position when I am facing a big chip disadvantage. I also tend to tighten up and exercise a greater amount of patience when I am not running well. So while I do side on folding in this spot, I don't believe it is unequivocally bad that Hero called, for the simple reason that we are playing five handed.

:ah::kh::ts: is about the worst good flop that could hit Hero three handed. I am more critical of the post flop shove then I am the pre-flop call for an obvious reason. Hero is not going to get a superior hand to fold in light of the stack sizes.

That said, not running good for a prolonged period in a MTT with the clock ticking is unsettling and can influence the decision making process.

Two examples:

Not long ago, I busted out of a 32 player tournament in 11th place with A,J off-suit. Same as Hero, we were down to five players at my table. Average chip stack was around 26BB's iirc. Hero was in the SB with 18 or 19 BB's behind. I played the entire tournament with a below average chip stack. Action folded to me and I decided to raise. The BB popped me and I shoved. He had A/Q off-suit. GG. In hindsight, I am not happy with the way I played this hand.

This was the first MTT I had played in since Covid and it was very important to me that I ran deep, in part because I rarely have the opportunity to play in such events. That pressure, along with the frustration of not being able to build any momentum, likely effected my play.

Around ten years ago, I made the final five in a 40 player tournament. The blinds had reached a ridiculously high point. All of us had between five and ten big blinds. I was one of the two small stacks. Action folded to me. I looked down at :as::5s: and decided that was as good a hand as any to jam all-in. The big blind woke up with Jacks. I lost.

I am not disappointed in my play. I think it was the right move. It just didn't work out in my favor.

Often, we are our best critics, if we choose to be objective.

I noticed you hosted a tournament Thursday, https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/fat-tire-blog.26961/post-2048350. That tells me you have already appraised your play and have put it behind you, as I would expect from any good caliber player.

I hope you did well.
Thanks for the insight…Im left with a great feeling since I was on par with your assessment of the hand.
And your insights are well respected and valued by many CT/PCf veterans

I don't hate they only. And I think it's way too nitty to fold T9s suited pre for 1BB in a 3 way pot get 5.5-1.

The flop shove I question, just because fold equity is next to non existent here. Almost always at least one of those villains is going to wake up with Ax. The only thing you a re hoping for here is if both villains have unimproved pairs.

So I might check this hoping to get a free or low priced draw. But you can't fold this to a bet either, so given the cards in play here, this point may be moot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom