Any interest in reviving Dunes Compression chips (2 Viewers)

I just got confirmation on the prices and I will start to work on the colors now.
I will try to get the $25, $500 & $1000 chip changed. The factory said they can do this. They told me this in broken English so I will try to get it through.

Prices will be $.30 each and I should have them in 4 months.
Group buy will start 5/27 and will finish 6/03.
I will setup a new thread tomorrow for purchases.

OOOOh nice!

After hearing all the negative reports ITT & the other, I'll need to set aside some money for this stuff to soak the chips in first I guess.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

Future planning question: which racks fit these types of chips the best? My research shows the Brybelly racks seem to accommodate a full 100, give or take some extremes. I know this order has the potential to vary in thickness (like China Clays tend to do), so it's a best guess I suppose. I just want to be fully prepared!

Different material and different forming process...the Paulson's, BCC, and the likes were high-temp compression molding first and machining off the edge to meet diameter/dimensional spec. You can always see the machine marks on unused chips... While, IMO, the China Clay chips' compression molding process molds the chips....."
To be clear, China Clays are all injection molded chips ...
If I recall the original posted info from PGI & others, years ago when these chips 1st appeared, the plastic "soup" mixture is injected under slight pressure, as compared to almost no pressure for other plastic injection chips, probably needed due to the calcium carbonate or chalky ingredient added to the plastic to get closer to a clay feel ... ...
This lead to calling China clays "compression clays, , injecto-pression, etc, to differentiate them from other imported injection chips. I believe there is an injection mark or "dimple" on all China Clays, usually under the label or along the edge...
I generally prefer the 'feel' of China clays over almost all other budget chips , & sometimes over some types of more expensive ceramics & bud jones slugged chips too ... But I like 'em all!

I did not know it was possible to email an entire country! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

All emails sent to China are read, filtered, and edited by Xi Jingpeng prior to being rerouted to their intended source. They're very efficient.

I would like 1000 chips but I can't decide how I want to break that down between tourney and a small cash set.

Any ideas fellow chippers??

I would like 1000 chips but I can't decide how I want to break that down between tourney and a small cash set.

What game do you play? What stakes? How many players? Limit/pot limit/no limit? What are rebuy habits like?

What game do you play? What stakes? How many players? Limit/pot limit/no limit? What are rebuy habits like?
NLHE tourneys mostly. Up to 8 players, usually $20 buy in with 1-2 rebuys. I rarely play cash games but will sometimes host T100s with cash chips and a smaller schedule to use the cash denominations in a tournament.

200 $1's
200 $5's
And a 100 of each higher denomination will cover cash and tourney. Total 1000 chips. That's what I'm doing anyways.

Do/Will these chips have a 5c denom? Thinking about picking up some of these for micro stakes set

Been mulling this over for a while myself.

At $0.25/$0.50 cash games mostly with the rare $1/$2 and 9 player max NLHE or PLO (LOL Omaha, in my dreams) tournaments I'm thinking cash set of 400 chips and tournament set of 600. I really want to get my hands on each denom even if it means some of them are a little under-appreciated. That's right, I'm getting a loose barrel of 50-centers because why the hell not?

After looking through some past threads, I thinking:

Cash

100x $0.25
180x $1
100x $5
20x $25

(with a loose barrel of $0.50 if it comes to it, but it almost never will)

That uneven rack makes me a little uneasy, but it's not the end of the world. Also, if the $25s get changed to a more faithful pattern I may want a whole slew of those. So many decisions. Good thing I won't have too much more time to deliberate.

Then for tournaments:

200x $100
200x $500
100x $1000
80x $5000
20x $25,000

Does that seem reasonable? Any changes to consider? I don't mind going with a smaller cash set either, but it doesn't seem necessary considering I'm not going to run a MTT or anything with these.

Been mulling this over for a while myself.

At $0.25/$0.50 cash games mostly with the rare $1/$2 and 9 player max NLHE or PLO (LOL Omaha, in my dreams) tournaments I'm thinking cash set of 400 chips and tournament set of 600. I really want to get my hands on each denom even if it means some of them are a little under-appreciated. That's right, I'm getting a loose barrel of 50-centers because why the hell not?

After looking through some past threads, I thinking:

Cash

100x $0.25
180x $1
100x $5
20x $25

(with a loose barrel of $0.50 if it comes to it, but it almost never will)

That uneven rack makes me a little uneasy, but it's not the end of the world. Also, if the $25s get changed to a more faithful pattern I may want a whole slew of those. So many decisions. Good thing I won't have too much more time to deliberate.

Then for tournaments:

200x $100
200x $500
100x $1000
80x $5000
20x $25,000

Does that seem reasonable? Any changes to consider? I don't mind going with a smaller cash set either, but it doesn't seem necessary considering I'm not going to run a MTT or anything with these.

In my experience you would be better served having no T25,000's, 20 x T5000 and upping the T1000's to 180. If you are actually going to use 200 x T100's you'll find the T1000 will inevitably be the workhorse chip at th mid-point of any tourney using 10000-20000 starting stacks.
If you really want a T25000 I would consider getting a plaque for it.

... The factory said they can do this. They told me this in broken English so I will try to get it through...

Hit me up if you want some help with translations or something.. I lived in china for a while and have been studying chinese so maybe i can help. Not super fluent, but more than decent.

100x $0.25
180x $1
100x $5
20x $25

Then for tournaments:

200x $100
200x $500
100x $1000
80x $5000
20x $25,000

Way overkill in small denoms on the tourney side. Starting at 100/200, even with ten players, 200BB stacks is only 400K You've got a million in your top 3 denoms.

All you need for a single table including rebuys is:

100 x $100
80 x $500
100 x $1000
100 x $5000

And on the cash side, if you're planning on spreading 1/2, you need more $5s (say 300) and $25s (say 100).

Add on a few spares, and you're set.

Way overkill in small denoms on the tourney side. Starting at 100/200, even with ten players, 200BB stacks is only 400K You've got a million in your top 3 denoms.

All you need for a single table including rebuys is:

100 x $100
80 x $500
100 x $1000
100 x $5000

And on the cash side, if you're planning on spreading 1/2, you need more $5s (say 300) and $25s (say 100).

Add on a few spares, and you're set.
Shipments from China usually come in increments of 25 so I am guessing that's also how we will have to order it.

I don't want to muck up the order thread, so I feel like this is a better place to discuss these matters.

I was all about this buy but the changes are really making me think twice because some bring the set closer to their Dunes origin while other bring them needlessly further away.

Pros
  • The $25 changing to 8a18 is a huge plus and it makes me want to get more than just a barrel.
  • The $500 going to an 8V is enormous! That makes an already pretty stellar chip even better because it slides toward the nostalgic Dunes original.
Cons
  • The $100 going to an 8a18?! That is arguably one of the most identifiable chips in the whole lineup and now it's going to look sort of like like a Majestic (or one of many Paulson series). That's not moving toward the source material at all and for no reason.
  • Changing the 25k to a 4v18 from the 3v18 of the original baccarat chip is not good. Despite what all of you have told me and practicality aside, that's one of the reasons I wanted this set so badly. If it's going to lose its character for a 4 spot pattern, I just can't get behind it.

I'm on the fence about the $1000. Is it just changing the base to Majestic yellow or the whole chip to the Majestic colors? If it's going full Majestic, that's a no-go for me.

The pros are fantastic, but why make all these unfaithful and unnecessary changes? The photo in the OP was like magic to me, and now knowing that my set wouldn't look like that today... I don't love it as much as I did.

Reactions: ovo
Seriously, @ovo, I've been drooling over your photos on CT trying to decide if this buy was for me or not. I've spent a lot of time (relatively speaking...) on figuring out the breakdowns and really getting excited about having someone call for a color up to bring in the $25k chip in the final rounds. The changes that stray from the OG design seem arbitrary, but it may be a cost or ordering issue. I'm not casting stones, but I actually, for the first time in a while, feel like I might save what I could have spent on this set on a nice custom set further down the road.

Either way this is a great opportunity for a community to get fucking spectacular chips at an excellent price. Furthermore it may not happen again. And definitely not at these prices. Personally I would balk at this opportunity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom