Any interest in reviving Dunes Compression chips (1 Viewer)

This was discussed on the first page of this thread. The edges are beveled and as @Psypher1000 says above, all china clay sets I've handled have had beveled edges. @BGinGA pointed out earlier why it is unlikely that any china clay set will be produced with sharp edges.

Just bought a set of sprint mold china clays. As the first set I bought when they were first released, these chips have sharp, square edges.
I like them.
Too bad this idea is coming up now. I would have been in for some as I love the spots on the Dunes Commem's. (as well as Pharaoh's) but again, I just bought a set of sprint mold chips.

Just bought a set of sprint mold china clays. As the first set I bought when they were first released, these chips have sharp, square edges.
I like them.
Too bad this idea is coming up now. I would have been in for some as I love the spots on the Dunes Commem's. (as well as Pharaoh's) but again, I just bought a set of sprint mold chips.
You could buy a set of Dunes and mix them with your sprint and call it Dune Sprinter.

Edges from worst to best:

CPS
Majestic
Pharaohs - ideal
Milanos
Desert Palms

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Pharaohs suffer from severe flea biting? Is this a function of their square edge, material, or both?

I always liked the "feel" of the Pharoahs. They are definitely the "chalkiest" of the China Clays - and most closely matched that Paulson "feel," but I was always worried about the flaking issues folks posted about over the years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Pharaohs suffer from severe flea biting? Is this a function of their square edge, material, or both?

I always liked the "feel" of the Pharoahs. They are definitely the "chalkiest" of the China Clays - and most closely matched that Paulson "feel," but I was always worried about the flaking issues folks posted about over the years.
A lot of different experiences with all the CC sets it seems. It has been documented that the $1 Pharaohs had some manufacturing defect as exhibited in your link and from a recent post by @pltrgyst . I had a 1400 tourney set and never saw any sign of flaking or flea bites over the course of several years so all I can do is shrug my shoulders and say "mine were awesome".

I thought I had some of these but they are lost in a sea of sample chips.
Just ordered a sample set from @Apache at I may be in for 500-600 if the price is right

BTW, after 4 pages of response to an interest thread, I'd say it looks like there is some interest....

I thought I had some of these but they are lost in a sea of sample chips.
Just ordered a sample set from @Apache at I may be in for 500-600 if the price is right

BTW, after 4 pages of response to an interest thread, I'd say it looks like there is some interest....
Just so you know...the ones currently in stock are the injection version and definitely shouldn't be compared to the compression version proposed in this thread.

Just so you know...the ones currently in stock are the injection version and definitely shouldn't be compared to the compression version proposed in this thread.

This can't be stressed enough.

Apache DOES NOT currently stock the compression version that this thread is proposing!

Ooops, my bad.

Does anyone have a few of these they could part with?
glad to pay for em of course

Reactions: 72o
I'd be in for a set of at least 600.

Edit: Make that more like 1000-1200.

Last edited:
I bought a few thousand of these back in 2009, they were used in a weekly tournament for years. These things are built like tanks, they just keep going and going. Hardest working set of chips I've ever seen.

Wow. Good thing I didn't buy those Dunes injections when I had the inkling to do so a little while ago. I think this is the perfect lower budget set: colors, feel (China Clays are going to smoke the injections, even though I don't really mind slugless injections other than their susceptibility to toppling), label, mold (IMO, the mold with the most character and perhaps tied with the Pharaoh's).

I'd even buy some of those silly $0.50 pieces I loathe so much ;)

I see a 750-1000 cash + tourney set. Bonus if we somehow score the 8v edge spots on the higher denoms. But, not a dealbreaker.

Question for the current Dunes CC holders: are the colors really as brilliant as the photo in the OP?

I can't see the picture in the OP for some reason, but these are the better of the two Dunes comm. lines right? The "injection" version was the super slick harder material?

Correct. These are for the china clays that were originally sold through The Chip Room.

Reactions: 72o
I did some sloppy back-of-the-napkin math on all the positive interest in the thread, and with some fudging to account for people who didn't explicitly offer a range of chips they'd buy we're around 26,000 at the higher end of the spectrum. So, that's pretty awesome.

I did some sloppy back-of-the-napkin math on all the positive interest in the thread, and with some fudging to account for people who didn't explicitly offer a range of chips they'd buy we're around 26,000 at the higher end of the spectrum. So, that's pretty awesome.

Sooo.....

Time for a Pre-Order thread to track actual quantities?

:D

@Apache hasn't replied to this thread since starting it... do we even know if he is watching it? Seems odd if he's not... but equally odd that he hasn't replied. Also the discussion regarding changing edgespots has not been validated by @Apache. I am interested in replacing my blackjack table full of Dunes injection with these... if the edgespots get updated.

Were the Dunes CC chalky or plastic-y?

Mine were chalky.

I remember wiping the edges with a damp cloth before I put them into play. Just a quick swipe over the barrels in racks, but it picked up most of the chalkiness which I didn't care for at the time. Probably wouldn't bother me at all now.

@Apache hasn't replied to this thread since starting it... do we even know if he is watching it? Seems odd if he's not... but equally odd that he hasn't replied. Also the discussion regarding changing edgespots has not been validated by @Apache. I am interested in replacing my blackjack table full of Dunes injection with these... if the edgespots get updated.
Not really. It's not in Josh's best interest to keep coming back and forth wasting time with what-ifs and ideas. I'd imagine he's still looking into getting the vendors take and quote to do the run, make some small changes to the high denom chips and logistical stuff. Be sure because he's a very savvy business man, when he has something concrete he'll post. But not before then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom