Any interest in an NCAA Lax Bracket? (9 Viewers)

Just out of curiosity, who here has actually played lacrosse, and is not just interested in the tourney for the pure gambling angle?

Having grown up in Baltimore, I played from the time I could hold a stick (about 3-4 years old) through two years of college ball (DIII, then blew out my shoulder). If you have never played, it's a hell of a game. As a spectator, it will get you hooked if you learn it and watch enough. I coached in the Milwaukee area until I had a kid and ran out of time, but it felt great to bring the game to the Midwest when the lacrosse community was in its infancy here. It's grown a bunch in this area and I'm proud to have been part of the group that brought lacrosse to the mainstream in Wisconsin. Once my kid's old enough to play, I'm going to get back into coaching to keep contributing.

Never played. I grew up outside of Baltimore (Frederick), and never even heard of the sport until late in my college career. It was never offered in schools when I was there (late 80’s, early 90’s)

Never played. I grew up outside of Baltimore (Frederick), and never even heard of the sport until late in my college career. It was never offered in schools when I was there (late 80’s, early 90’s)
It's definitely in Frederick now. My cousins played at Walkersville High and my college played against Hood (they started a team in the early 2000s).

Just out of curiosity, who here has actually played lacrosse, and is not just interested in the tourney for the pure gambling angle?

Having grown up in Baltimore, I played from the time I could hold a stick (about 3-4 years old) through two years of college ball (DIII, then blew out my shoulder). If you have never played, it's a hell of a game. As a spectator, it will get you hooked if you learn it and watch enough. I coached in the Milwaukee area until I had a kid and ran out of time, but it felt great to bring the game to the Midwest when the lacrosse community was in its infancy here. It's grown a bunch in this area and I'm proud to have been part of the group that brought lacrosse to the mainstream in Wisconsin. Once my kid's old enough to play, I'm going to get back into coaching to keep contributing.

La Crosse?

Is this lacrosse?
Screenshot_20190510_172358.jpg

Is this lacrosse?
Quidditch, Lacrosse, La Crosse (a "city" in Wisconsin), all the same thing for the uninitiated, but for those who've played the game, there's nothing like it. And yes, that is the hill I'm willing to die on. It's the greatest game ever invented by the Native Americans and co-opted by the American aristocracy to become the Ivy League's only sport they can still win NCAA championships in.

Quidditch, Lacrosse, La Crosse (a "city" in Wisconsin), all the same thing for the uninitiated, but for those who've played the game, there's nothing like it. And yes, that is the hill I'm willing to die on. It's the greatest game ever invented by the Native Americans and co-opted by the American aristocracy to become the Ivy League's only sport they can still win NCAA championships in.
Yeah I was just kidding. I thought everyone knew what it was just from watching American pie back in the day.

A friend of mines brother went to some kind of world championship type thing in the US to represent Austria. The guy went to support them and I kept seeing Facebook updates of him wearing a bright yellow aussie onesie. Quite funny I thought

Yeah I was just kidding. I thought everyone knew what it was just from watching American pie back in the day.

A friend of mines brother went to some kind of world championship type thing in the US to represent Austria. The guy went to support them and I kept seeing Facebook updates of him wearing a bright yellow aussie onesie. Quite funny I thought

john the game brother!

I'll let @WedgeRock comment on levels of desperation, but I'd be happy to have you on-board. AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE....
I'll bite and return the oi oi oi

I always feel that I need to qualify it, because although I've lived here for 12 years, I'm only a paper aussie and grew up on England.

The dual passport is handy though

I'll bite and return the oi oi oi

I always feel that I need to qualify it, because although I've lived here for 12 years, I'm only a paper aussie and grew up on England.

The dual passport is handy though
I'm an ignorant American, so I appreciate the duality of a worldly AustralEngishmen. Key question is; are you in for this $20 bracket (slow flip)? @WedgeRock needs to know.

#9 @MoeTremper's brother
#10 @longflop
#11 @Forty4
#12 @Chippy McChiperson
#13 @Marc Hedrick
#14 @Perthmike

If @kirchhausen joins, we're at 15. Myself, @CraigT78 and @detroitdad will take a second team if needed to get to 16, so we're a go this weekend! I can't believe @mike32 hasn't reserved a spot. I see him at LaxBash every year (but this year, we're doing LaxJam at Belle Isle).

I will wait until the end of the day* to see if anyone snaps up any of the last three spots. If we don't get three more players, I'll add second teams in the order claimed (myself, then CriagT78, then detroitdad) until we fill out 16.

Once the list of 16 players is set, I'll randomize the names using random.org and the random place you are assigned will be matched up with the teams in the following order.

Teams:
1. Penn State
2. Duke
3. Viginia
4. Penn
5. Yale
6. Towson
7. Notre Dame
8. Loyola Maryland
9. John Hopkins
10. Syracuse
11. Maryland
12. Georgetown
13. Army West Point
14. Robert Morris
15. Richmond
16. UMBC

* - The "end of the day" will be a soft deadline, as I have plans after work tonight, but it'll get done before I go to bed.

For this weekend, we're using the spreads already posted. I'll post everything (players, teams and spreads) before the games start tomorrow.

Questions? Post 'em up.

#9 @MoeTremper's brother
#10 @longflop
#11 @Forty4
#12 @Chippy McChiperson
#13 @Marc Hedrick

If @kirchhausen joins, we're at 14. Myself, @CraigT78 and @detroitdad will take a second team if needed to get to 16, so we're a go this weekend! I can't believe @mike32 hasn't reserved a spot. I see him at LaxBash every year (but this year, we're doing LaxJam at Belle Isle).

I will wait until the end of the day* to see if anyone snaps up any of the last three spots. If we don't get three more players, I'll add second teams in the order claimed (myself, then CriagT78, then detroitdad) until we fill out 16.

Once the list of 16 players is set, I'll randomize the names using random.org and the random place you are assigned will be matched up with the teams in the following order.

Teams:
1. Penn State
2. Duke
3. Viginia
4. Penn
5. Yale
6. Towson
7. Notre Dame
8. Loyola Maryland
9. John Hopkins
10. Syracuse
11. Maryland
12. Georgetown
13. Army West Point
14. Robert Morris
15. Richmond
16. UMBC

* - The "end of the day" will be a soft deadline, as I have plans after work tonight, but it'll get done before I go to bed.

For this weekend, we're using the spreads already posted. I'll post everything (players, teams and spreads) before the games start tomorrow.

Questions? Post 'em up.
I like.

I've never played. I wasn't even exposed to the sport until my son played in 4th grade (he's a sophomore in HS now, so 6 years ago), but his statement is true:

As a spectator, it will get you hooked if you learn it and watch enough.

If there was an over 40 league D-league (with a shorter field) -- I guess box lacrosse fits -- I'd definitely give it a try. It looks like a blast to play.

Never played Lax myself but went to Mt Hebron High school in Ellicott City in the late 90s when it was the epicenter of the lax world. 2nd stringers got full rides to ivy leagues and such.....

Ace was talking about playing NAIA to get college paid for, but he does not like his current coach and is kinda turned off on that. He's also smart enough to get an academic ride, so the prospect of watching him play college lacrosse is fading.

But it's the one sport that all three is my kids play. Because the older two play hockey (which goes May-March), they don't play in any summer or fall leagues, unfortunately. Just the quick March-June season with their school teams. Ace is a long pole/LSM, Deuce is middie/face-off/attack and Trey is long pole/goalie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom