AKo in the big blind (1 Viewer)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
We are playing 1-2 live, seven handed. We started seven hours ago with 13 players, now we are down to 7. The table is tired, more passive and less prone to confrontation. It is that feeling often found the last hour or so of a long session.

Cast of characters:

In the small blind is a Tagish player with $80. He is taking a stab at a bigger game than normal, but things have not gone his way. He is in for $500 and is likely looking for a place to go broke or get closer to even. Highly fit/fold post flop. Will not bet draws. Rarely slow plays anything but monsters.

Hero is in the big blind with $1,100. Hero has been on fire tonight - hitting flops and taking advantages of mistakes. People are actually folding to Hero's post flop bets, sometimes. Hero's table image post flop is a little scary.

The button is a calling station having a good night playing $600. This guy is very loose, passive and sticky.

Meta game considerations: This session is clearly winding down. The villains are reverting to form. The winners are looking to book a win, the losers are prepared to stack off.

The hand. Four folds bring us to the button. {that alone says something about the table, four hours earlier and we would be headed to a family limped pot at least,}

Button limps, SB completes. Action on Hero holding :as: :kd: Check or raise? If raising how much? [ table has been all over the map with preflop raise sizing. $4 to $15 is normal, but sometimes there will be a $25+ raise by some of the crazier players.]

DrStrange

Raise $8. Good hand and only button behind us. I feel we should start building a pot now with the calling station in the sb

I raise to 8. I will likely C Bet a lot of flops and I don't want to be making a massive continuation bet if they board is not favourable.

Raise as much as you think button will call. $10 sounds good.

If $15 is the max normal raise amount then make it $15.

Dinner tonight: A green chili / pork soup and a cold cut sandwich bar.

Weather: cold but not freezing, a drizzle is falling occasionally, little to no breeze.

We have one pipe smoker, one chewing and two smokers.

No women at this game.

Aztar chips are in play, total chips on the table ~ $6,500.

The puppy has three squeaky toys in play.

Change your opinions? -=- DrStrange

*** OK! ***

Hero bets $15, both villains call. $45 in the pot with three way action. Hero has :as: :kd:

Flop :7d: :qc: :6d:

SB checks. Action on Hero, bet or check? If betting, how much?

Oh - and the soup is totally gone & the sandwich bar is down to salami and sharp {white} cheddar.

DrStrange

Normally I'd c-bet $32 here, especially with just salami and white cheddar remaining, but if button really is as loose/passive/sticky as you claim, I may check here and see what he does.

The button is going to check most of the time regardless of his cards. Maybe he bets TP/GK or better but not likely his draws. (but he is ahead for the night so a little more feisty.)

So you bet 15 and now have 45 in the pot. Standard C bet would be in the 25-35 $ range which is a fair amount with not even a pair. This is why I would have only raised to 8 dollars and C bet 16-20. Your buttons range is massive and there is a possible straight and flush and he could easily have QX that he will call any sized C bet with. Is the button crafty enough to float this flop??

Also if your SB is likely to shove his remaining stack with any pocket pair over 6 or 7 if the pot gets big enough. But likely would not have limped in?

Given how you bet big pre flop now I check and call behind.

I hate playing out of position with AK.

I usually cbet $30-$35. But I'm concerned about having button call and sb C/R basically giving us odds to call his raise.

I think check here is best and re-evaluate

So you bet 15 and now have 45 in the pot. Standard C bet would be in the 25-35 $ range which is a fair amount with not even a pair. This is why I would have only raised to 8 dollars and C bet 16-20.

Given how you bet big pre flop now I check and call behind.

Yup, all of this.

Aside from Stack to Pot Ratio (SPR) issues, I am having trouble with the notion that Hero shouldn't c-bet into a $45 pot but could/should c-bet into a $21 pot. Would someone offer an explanation why that is a good plan? Preferably one that doesn't use the concept of "bloated pot" which is an artifact of limit poker and doesn't much apply to no limit games.

DrStrange

Maybe because you might feel pot committed if SB check jams if you are c betting $32 intolerant $45 pot as opposed to $15 into a $21 pot? Just guessing other people's thought processes. I think you did fine pre flop and am good with a check only because of this specific button player.

Because SB is also fit/fold but could likely jam any pair or maybe flush/straight draw (it's what I'd do in his spot even though it said he doesn't) if it goes bet, call. IMO he can't (shouldn't) just flat a bet here. Then we are faced calling a c/r with just 2 over cards.

Aside from Stack to Pot Ratio (SPR) issues, I am having trouble with the notion that Hero shouldn't c-bet into a $45 pot but could/should c-bet into a $21 pot. Would someone offer an explanation why that is a good plan? Preferably one that doesn't use the concept of "bloated pot" which is an artifact of limit poker and doesn't much apply to no limit games.

DrStrange

So you are saying you don't c-bet here ever?

C-bet $28 on the flop. Checking seems weak/bad, and average players will pick up on the preflop raiser checking the flop and think 'oh I know he has ace-king'. Maybe that doesn't matter though with station man and shorty stack, but I can't check this flop.

C-bet $28 on the flop. Checking seems weak/bad, and average players will pick up on the preflop raiser checking the flop and think 'oh I know he has ace-king'. Maybe that doesn't matter though with station man and shorty stack, but I can't check this flop.

But are you calling sb extra $37 into a potential $129 pot if he shoves?

This is a perfect spot for some Nash Equilibrium game theory. The "correct" play here is a mixed strategy. There is a lot of value in mixing up your play, and AKo in the BB plays quite nicely as a passive hand. I would probably look at the second hand on my watch, and if it's between 1-40, I'm raising, if it's between 41-60, I'm slipping it to them and hoping to bink a nice hand. That is to say, I'm raising about two thirds of the time, and slipping it one third of the time. Gamblers will raise in this spot almost 100% of the time. That's exploitable. Don't let yourself be exploited :)

I'm flipping a coin on whether to check or bet. But to mix it up, I'd do the opposite of whatever the coin flip says.

But are you calling sb extra $37 into a potential $129 pot if he shoves?

Yes. We'd be behind most of the time, but he could show up with flush or straight draws perhaps. If he just had a queen we are not in terrible shape with 22 potential clean outs on the turn to either take the lead or improve our equity. If his plan was to check raise a monster, well, nice hand sir.

That and pot odds. $37 to win $129. Seems like we have to call with anything that isn't complete air.

Maybe my line is too spewy? Interested to see what the Doc did here.

Preflop, I'd raise to ten.
You have described button as loose, passive, and sticky. I would check to him and see whats up. If he is passive, he will be less likely to try to steal the pot if he doesn't hit. If he does bet you can see if SB was indeed slow playing a monster and make an easy fold or you can float if you think button is stealing (though I lean towards check fold if you think he is that passive).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom