Advice on the Quantity for Custom Set (4 Viewers)

Don't most custom sets require to buy in lots of 25 or 50 though?
Only if you are buying cheap chips.

1000 chips will more than adequately cover your specified cash game needs, with a bank of over $16,000:

150 x 25c
200 x $1
400 x $5
150 x $25
100 x $100

Any more than 1000 chips is simply a waste of money. Spend your cash on security and quality, not quantity.

Fill your second case with a high-roller tournament set:

200 x T500
200 x T1000
200 x T5000
200 x T25,000
100 x T100,000
100 x T500,000

2000 chips is a mountain 8-handed!
I wouldn't fill the racks with useless fracs.
Don't forget - only the first stack should include the lower denoms.
Every reload is just 1-5 high denom chips. Works great!
Spend the rest (800-1000) for higher tournament denoms.
I would never put 2000 chips, my entire set into play. The 2000 chip set is meant to cover multiple different games. I also don't host tournaments, so that is not a consideration for me. I think I could reduce it to 1800 total, but when it comes to my 5/10 game, I can't have just enough to cover.

Security and quality >>> quantity. More chips that will never see play are useless.
I'm not following your logic, and maybe you aren't following mine. As I said previously, I am building one set that will cover multiple different games. If I am playing .25/.50 of course the 100's and 500's won't play. If I am playing 5/10 the .25's, .50's and 1's won't play either - but when I host those games, I will have the chips to so.

I'm not following your logic, and maybe you aren't following mine. As I said previously, I am building one set that will cover multiple different games. If I am playing .25/.50 of course the 100's and 500's won't play. If I am playing 5/10 the .25's, .50's and 1's won't play either - but when I host those games, I will have the chips to so.
No, we are all following your logic but you're missing most of ours: you have 0 need for the number of chips you're buying. There's no rational reason other than you want to fill the 2 large cases. Spend the same amount on 1200 chips of significantly better quality, customized so no one can buy copies, and you'll have a much better game than filling up on 2000 chips with many that will never see the table.

You've said your usual game is 8 but lets plan for 10 anyways. You need more than $16,000 in bank for that game?
Edit to add: if so, throw in another rack of 100s, or even a few barrels of 500s. Easy ways to efficienctly build a big bank without piling mountains of lower denoms.

No, we are all following your logic but you're missing most of ours: you have 0 need for the number of chips you're buying. There's no rational reason other than you want to fill the 2 large cases. Spend the same amount on 1200 chips of significantly better quality, customized so no one can buy copies, and you'll have a much better game than filling up on 2000 chips with many that will never see the table.

You've said your usual game is 8 but lets plan for 10 anyways. You need more than $16,000 in bank for that game?
In most cases, $16,000 will never be reached, but I have had games well over that in the past, so I want to be prepared. Also, if you read my original thread, I do mention that I am making a custom set and I mention specific numbers there as well.

if he wants to play 5/10 with 10 players and a max buy-in of 200 BB that is $2,000 buy-in per player and that is $20,000 on the table and then he needs some chips for rebuys

if he wants to play 5/10 with 10 players and a max buy-in of 200 BB that is $2,000 buy-in per player and that is $20,000 on the table and then he needs some chips for rebuys
THANK YOU. About three years ago, I hosted a 5/10 game that had over $40k on the table after 8 hours of play. There were maybe 8 or 10 $1000 chips being used - just for show basically.

Don't listen to everyone telling you how few chips you can get away with. :) Plus, based on what you initially shared, they appear to be severely underestimating your bankroll needs.

You said your largest night so far is $5/10 with 12 buy-ins and 18 rebuys. At 200BB, that puts your minimum bank at $60k assuming players aren't matching the big stack with their rebuys -- in which case, you're pushing $100k on a single table?

With that many current players and that kind of bank range, alongside a budget (and desire) to acquire 2000 chips, I would consider future proofing your custom set to cover two tables.

(200) .25
(400) $1
(600) $5
(400) $25
(200) $100
(200) $500

2000 chips that will comfortably spread two tables at $60k+ bank each, and if things get wild on a single table, you're more than covered. You also have the freedom to introduce extra .25s or $1s into a limpy .25/.50 single table game.

Now. If your max bankroll is actually more like $20k, then a two-table setup could look like this:

(200) .25
(400) $1
(800) $5
(300) $25
(200) $100
(100) $500

Same premise just less wasted high-denom chips.

I host a .25/.5 PLO game, I also play in a 5/10 PLO game where we frequently get more than 40k on the table. Let me say it like, you don't need that many chips.

My .25./.5 game has seen $180 preflop pots and a max pot of about $1400. I have 1200 chips 500 of them have never seen play (2 racks of 25s and 100s).

Here is my typical break down.

.25 x 60
1 x 180
5 x 300
20 x 20
100 x 5

This is about all the chips I get onto the table.

The larger game I play is a raked game so they have a ton of 5s, it looks something like this

1 x 40
5 x 800
25 x 200
100 x 100
500 x 20
1k x 20

You don't need that many fracs, but its your money, at say $1 a chip that's 1000 bucks mostly wasted. Most of us are spending 3 to 8 bucks a chip.

You're right; I had edited a minute after saying to throw on either another rack of 100s or a few barrels of 500s. Not too worried about the tail end of the set when we're buying 1150 chips just in .25/1/5s; add on the bigger denoms, absolutely, but cut down on the bloat early on is the big push.

Don't listen to everyone telling you how few chips you can get away with. :) Plus, based on what you initially shared, they appear to be severely underestimating your bankroll needs.

You said your largest night so far is $5/10 with 12 buy-ins and 18 rebuys. At 200BB, that puts your minimum bank at $60k assuming players aren't matching the big stack with their rebuys -- in which case, you're pushing $100k on a single table?

With that many current players and that kind of bank range, alongside a budget (and desire) to acquire 2000 chips, I would consider future proofing your custom set to cover two tables.

(200) .25
(400) $1
(600) $5
(400) $25
(200) $100
(200) $500

2000 chips that will comfortably spread two tables at $60k+ bank each, and if things get wild on a single table, you're more than covered. You also have the freedom to introduce extra .25s or $1s into a limpy .25/.50 single table game.

Now. If your max bankroll is actually more like $20k, then a two-table setup could look like this:

(200) .25
(400) $1
(800) $5
(300) $25
(200) $100
(100) $500

Same premise just less wasted high-denom chips.
These are much more realistic to me than 1000 chip sets of $16k.

You do realize that even for a 2 table set, he's still only got 200 fracs right?
I will not be hosting two table nights. I have in the past, but prefer just a steady single table. Typically, I have a mix of players who want to play for a few hours and leave, and then there are others willing to start later in the evening and play into the morning, and those who want to play for 8 hours straight.

I will not be hosting two table nights. I have in the past, but prefer just a steady single table. Typically, I have a mix of players who want to play for a few hours and leave, and then there are others willing to start later in the evening and play into the morning, and those who want to play for 8 hours straight.
I understand this. I'm pointing out that Aggies breakdown, wonderful, is meant to cover two tables and even then only includes 200 fracs for two tables. I'm glad you're running this game, honestly sounds like a blast! But anything over 200 fracs is bananas.

If you want to be prepared for the big moment, you have at least 3 options:
- add a barrel or two of 1000s or 5000s
- add a rack of non-denoms
- waste your money

If you want to be prepared for the big moment, you have at least 3 options:
- add a barrel or two of 1000s or 5000s
- add a rack of non-denoms
- waste your money
Disposable income is a wonderful thing.

Have you considered making your .25 chip a "no denom" chip? That way you could use them as .25, or .50, or $2, or .... whatever! Having ONE ND chip is fairly easy if you assign a value of your choice at the beginning of the game while all other chips are denominated. Players won't "forget" what that chip is worth.

Have you considered making your .25 chip a "no denom" chip? That way you could use them as .25, or .50, or $2, or .... whatever! Having ONE ND chip is fairly easy if you assign a value of your choice at the beginning of the game while all other chips are denominated. Players won't "forget" what that chip is worth.
I haven't considered that actually, it's an interesting idea though. I'm still doing a lot of research at this point, like hunting for the right chip maker (I have a very specific design I am trying to emulate), and a full upgrade of my accoutrements. PM me if you want to chat.

You don't need that many fracs, but its your money, at say $1 a chip that's 1000 bucks mostly wasted. Most of us are spending 3 to 8 bucks a chip.

3 to 8 bucks per chip? As a long time chipper, that's borderline insanity. Just my opinion. But for $3 or less I'd go with CPC customs. I've sold Nearly new Paulsons for less than $1 per chip. Silver and Gold have not seen that much appreciation in the same time frame as Paulson chips. When serious crap happens (as I expect it to in the next 6 months) you won't be able to use Paulson chips to buy anything.

@1200 chips, $8/chip is a solid commitment. I wonder if every dollar MORE you spend results in a massive change in quality, or if you're seeing just incremental improvements. Good on you though!

@1200 chips, $8/chip is a solid commitment. I wonder if every dollar MORE you spend results in a massive change in quality, or if you're seeing just incremental improvements. Good on you though!
It doesn’t work quite like that, but don’t worry you’ll understand it much better soon enough

CPC is the only way to go for such customized needs, while staying with "American Clay" quality of chips.

For a single table of max 10 players, for a wide range of stakes, I would say:
120x ND chips (either .20 or .25 or .50 or even $2)
280x $1 chips
400x $5 chips
400x $20 chips
200x $100 chips
100x $ 500 chips

Total 1.500 chips, capable of covering all your games, dreams and nightmares.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom