Aces at Final Table Hand Review (1 Viewer)

Preditor

Pair
Reaction score
Played in a 40 person tourney yesterday. Made it to the final table (top 10). Blinds were high and stacks were anywhere from 5-30BB. I was sitting in about 23BB.

First hand of the final table and I find myself Under The Gun with pocket aces.

With 9 people left to act behind me, I min raise to 12K (2BB), hoping one of the shorter stacks will go all in so I can call.

But everyone behind me folds. I collect the blinds, and eventually place 4th.

I feel like I made the right move min raising, though perhaps with this group a tricky limp would have given me more equity in hindsight. I seems like “one of the things”, but I wanted to post and see others thoughts.

Without more information you did completely fine. If 3 people had limped and the flop came 876, you'd be lamenting losing some chips.

Be happy, this was far from your 4th place finish here.

This ^^
Can't slow play Aces in that position. It was just unfortunate nobody had squat that's all.

Now, having said that, maybe you're playing too tight and you scared everyone out :unsure:.

Probably a bad idea to slowplay here unless you have a virtually guaranteed raise behind you. Standard play is coming in for a raise.

Sometimes people just have nothing to play back with and you're not going to get paid, even if you make it cheap.

(Worth noting that making it cheap may signal strength to them if you don't often do it.)

I think the only spot you limp at all is around the button, and even then I don't think you do it with Aces. Obviously when everyone folds you wish you had 'trapped', but 95% of the time you'll make more with Aces by raising. Just sucks but it happens.

I think the only spot you limp at all is around the button, and even then I don't think you do it with Aces. Obviously when everyone folds you wish you had 'trapped', but 95% of the time you'll make more with Aces by raising. Just sucks but it happens.
Yea, this was my thinking too. The responses here just confirmed that I made the right move. I didn't walk away kicking myself, but it was just one of those sucky situations.

I think if this had come one or two hands later - after the "shock value" of making the final table had worn off - I could have trapped. First hand at the final table with me UTG? Maybe the worst place to ever get pocket aces.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom