Communal cards made a straight. Was this a bad call? (1 Viewer)

Preditor

Pair
Reaction score
Late stage of an 11 player home tournament. 3 of us left, all in the money, but thin margins with chips. Lots of back and forth, so no knockouts for a while. There's maybe 45BB left at the table, and I am chip leader (barely) with about 19BB.

I am Big Blind with pocket 9s. Button (10BB) folds. Small blind (16BB) limps. I raise to 2BB, he calls.

Flop comes 2d, 3c, 5h. Villain checks. I bet 2.5BB. He calls.

Turn comes Ace of clubs. Villain checks, I check.

River comes and it's the 4s, so all of the communal cards make a 5-high straight, rendering my pocket 9s void.

There are about 9BB in the pot (so 20% of what's left on the table). Small blind shoves and goes all in.

I tank for about 2 minutes. I think what hand he could possibly have that had a 6 in it, and the only thing I can come up with is Ace/6. And I know if I were him I would shove this to avoid the chopped pot.

I decide with a quarter of the remaining chips in the pot he is trying to bully me into folding so he can avoid the chop. I call his all-in.

He turns over and has... A6o. Knocked me down to 2BB, and I went out next hand.

In hindsight I think I made the right call with the blinds where they were. But curious as to thoughts. Only thing I could see doing different is shoving pre-flop.

Last edited:
I don’t like your preflop sizing. In blind v blind I would go to 3-3.5BB minimum. Especially with 20BB in your stack. If he jams it’s an easy call but he really should be open shoving from the SB here with A6o.

Either way, as played you do not need to make a river call if you think there’s a chance he has a 6. He’s in the small blind, he could have just about all of the suited sixes preflop. 56s, 66, 76s, 86s, 96s, T6s, J6s, Q6s, K6s, A6s, A6o, K6o and even Q6o. Again he’d be better off shoving or 3! shoving almost all suited and off suit aces preflop, but oh well.

If you fold you have about 15BB left. Still plenty to play with.

Flop comes 2d, 3c, 5h. Villain checks. I bet 2.5BB. He calls.

Turn comes Ace of clubs. Villain checks, I check.

River comes and it's the 5s, so all of the communal cards make a 5-high straight, rendering my pocket 9s void.

I assume you mean the 4s, not the 5s?

Pf raise way too small.
Raise 4bb, call the limp shove.
Flop bet 1/3rd
Turn CB is fine if you intend to call a reasonable size on river.
River is a fold.
You're hoping to chop a couple of bb and risc your whole tournament. It's a complete punt to call here if you ask me.
He's got way way more sixes here than you do and if he only shoves because he knows that, well played.
Fold, tap the table and win the tournament later on.

Last edited:
Pre-flop and flop sizing are probably too small. I'd go bigger raising out of the BB with 20BB. But calling 11.5BB to chop and win 4.5BB back is massive punt. Especially when he has way more 6s and 67 in his range. You have 11.5BB if you fold and 2BB if you call and are wrong. Just fold. No point and no incentive to call whatsoever. If he gets it through, good for him, but this isn't your time for a hero call.

Pre-flop and flop sizing are probably too small. I'd go bigger raising out of the BB with 20BB. But calling 11.5BB to chop and win 4.5BB back is massive punt. Especially when he has way more 6s and 67 in his range. You have 11.5BB if you fold and 2BB if you call and are wrong. Just fold. No point and no incentive to call whatsoever. If he gets it through, good for him, but this isn't your time for a hero call.
I would agree with all of this in hindsight.

One factor I forgot to mention is that the blinds were going up next hand, so it added some pressure for me to collect the pot. But I do that a lot when I am 10BB or less, forgetting my stack still has equity and a chance.

There was also the "casual" factor. It was late in the night in a casual home game, we were all in the money, and I think we wanted to go home. So I probably called way looser than I normally would have. No one's fault but me. But hey, I still got some money out of it.

I would agree with all of this in hindsight.

One factor I forgot to mention is that the blinds were going up next hand, so it added some pressure for me to collect the pot. But I do that a lot when I am 10BB or less, forgetting my stack still has equity and a chance.

There was also the "casual" factor. It was late in the night in a casual home game, we were all in the money, and I think we wanted to go home. So I probably called way looser than I normally would have. No one's fault but me. But hey, I still got some money out of it.
Next time ask for a chop if everyone is tired. Especially when you are a big stack.

Next time ask for a chop if everyone is tired. Especially when you are a big stack.
Eh. We allow chops, but chop wasn't going to happen. When I said "wanted to go home", I meant more the host who was out by that point. The two others had never made it in the money before, and they wanted to see how far they could go. And it ended just 12 minutes after I got out.

Plus, it's a $30 buy in game. I got $70+2 bounties. Next level up was just another $40. Not crying over big money here.

I think if you had raised/bet larger (3BB pre, 4BB on the flop) you might be more inclined to call down on the river with 14BB in the pot. With only 9BB I don't think it's worth the risk.

I think if you had raised/bet larger (3BB pre, 4BB on the flop) you might be more inclined to call down on the river with 14BB in the pot. With only 9BB I don't think it's worth the risk.
Yea I think the same. I felt he was over folding, so preflop I thought 3bb would push him to fold, and 2bb would get me more value. But I shouldn’t have felt pot committed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom