Tournament hand - went wrong (1 Viewer)

Chiphuntr

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I recently played a hand in a live tournament that left me unsure. I’ve recently started playing more live tournaments and admittedly think I’m missing something in my analysis.
The game is NLH tournament 12000 starting stacks. Blinds at 200/400/400ante, I’m in the BB with ~11000 chips, not great, considering it’s just after the first break. UTG+1 min raises to 800, with 3 calls, I have QQ(suits??). With 4 players in I should have raised to about 3000, instead I called the 800. Flop comes 8c5h3c, action is checked to me, I bet 1600, pre flop raiser pushes all in for~7200,Everyone else folds, is this an insta call? There’s so many hands he could have. I’m behind 5 hands. I only have 2 outs to improve. Considering this would leave me very short stacked, I found this hard to figure out.
I folded, if I had KK, call. I think that’s a lot to call with a pair.

Thoughts?

800x4 + 200 + 400 = 3.8k out there before it gets to you. That's 34% of your stack. Any time the pot gets above 15% of your stack, you should be jamming or folding especially with so many people in the pot.

This is a trivial pre flop jam. As played, call it off. You can't fold for this price.

The worst thing you can do in tournaments is start to look at a hand you lost in retrospect or in the moment and ask, "how could/can I play it to not go broke." That's a recipe for long term disaster. Sometimes it's your time to die.

Last edited:
This is a great example of why it's best to take an aggressive line when you expect to be well ahead in a tournament. Flatting here is a mistake, especially considering the stack sizes and blinds. Raise to 3K would've been better; a shove is arguable too. A call sets you up for trouble.

It would be nice to know something about the preflop raiser. Some players will routinely shove in spots like this to take it down, but others won't do it without something premium. Even the preflop raise could be worth a lot of information, depending on the player.

With 3200 in dead money already in, I don't think a shove pre is all that unreasonable.

If you're going to raise pre, go big, like 4.5 or 5 k with plan to shove pretty much any flop, but I think I just like a jam here. If the initial raiser has aces or kings, oh well rebuy.

Any raise other than jam I think is a mistake. 3k is too small and can cause the pot to go multiway. And even if it doesn't and you get one call the pot will be 9k, which causes an SPR less than 1. So jamming seems like the only option
Fair points. Like I said, I can see an argument for either case. The multiple calls do make you lean bigger, though.

This is a great example of why it's best to take an aggressive line when you expect to be well ahead in a tournament. Flatting here is a mistake, especially considering the stack sizes and blinds. Raise to 3K would've been better; a shove is arguable too. A call sets you up for trouble.

It would be nice to know something about the preflop raiser. Some players will routinely shove in spots like this to take it down, but others won't do it without something premium. Even the preflop raise could be worth a lot of information, depending on the player.
Totally agree, this one... after you didn't preflop raise, and after the turn I could easily jam or fold depending on what I knew about the other player. All too often some chump is shoving with A rag because he hit a small pair on the turn and doesnt want the action. Then again, you may have let the small pair hit a set, in which case I could fold and get away from it too. Being the nit I am, unless I'd been watching him, it's 50/50 either way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom