6 footer table with dealer cut out (1 Viewer)

celticnoel79

High Hand
Reaction score
Hey folks so that's all the supplies ordered for my upcoming build, nothing extraordinary, a 72"x42" 8 seater table with dealer cut out and cupholders in the rail. I should hopefully get the dust flying on this project this Sat if all goes to plan, ill try and post pics of the build along the way if I can figure out how to! Cheers, Jamie.

Question? Do you have a full time dealer? I find the dealer cutout rather limiting in a number of ways, it essentially requires you to use a dealer, as it's very awkward for a normal player to use the cutout spot, especially if you have a chip tray. Now, if you're using an occasional dealer, and occasionally will host self dealt game, I'd opt for a full rail. I know many establishments that have full time dealers that do just fine with using tables without the dealer cutout. Also, I find this will hurt your resale value should you decide to sell down the road. Oh, and it's harder to do a cutout rail, than a nice solid full rail.

If you're intent on a cutout, best of luck and post pics. Welcome to PCF sir!

if i could go back in time, i would not get the dealer chip tray but still have the dealer cutout, as i often offer to deal and play at the same time

Thanks Trihonda I will definitely not be using a tray but I hear ya on the dealer cut out, I self deal at all the games so that's not a prob but I know what ye mean it will defo be tougher but I wanted to do something a little different (I've never did a cut out before) I'll be sure to take pics and upload :)

I built a table with a cutout, as I thought it'd be cool. I regretted it. However, if it works for you, then all the best.

Even if I were dealing full time, I'd want a padded rail.

Or you could make the rail removable in the dealer's seat and have the best of both worlds. What is Gaz up to these days?

Oh I'll still be having a padded rail Trihonda! Not sure what Gaz is up to I lost contact with him when the old SK forum went defunked, would be good to get him on board here tho.

So all my supplies have arrived all going well the dust will begin to fly this weekend! I'll try to figure out how to upload pics and get the build thread started

IMAG0296.jpg
IMAG0299.jpg
So got the table started today, most of the cuts done, as this table is on a strict budget I've opted for USB and MDF I may regret this but needs must here's a few shots....

So got the table started today, most of the cuts done, as this table is on a strict budget I've opted for USB and MDF I may regret this but needs must here's a few shots....

I actually really love that shape... I'm hoping that you soften those edges of the cutout though... Don't want those edges poking through the upholstery.

As to the budget lumber... I fear you get what you pay for. I've used the USB for rails (for smaller tables), but never MDF for the play surface. You might come to regret this (for what looks to be a table design that look awesome).

The edges aren't as sharp as they appear on the pics but I'll defo sand them round anyway, I hear ya on the mdf I've built tables before with mdf which turned out fine but never an osb rail, hopefully the insert nuts hold in it, I'll soon find out! Yeah I quite like the table shape, cheers

The edges aren't as sharp as they appear on the pics but I'll defo sand them round anyway, I hear ya on the mdf I've built tables before with mdf which turned out fine but never an osb rail, hopefully the insert nuts hold in it, I'll soon find out! Yeah I quite like the table shape, cheers

I've found OSB to be decent for rigidity (suitable enough for rails), and so long as it's sanded nicely. The MDF on the other hand tends to absorb moisture and is prone to warping badly. It also doesn't (in my limited experience) stay rigid enough for a solid base. However, if you're experiences differ, then go with what you know. I also understand that across the pond, lumber prices for ply can be very cost prohibitive. Best of luck. Lots of pics please!

Good to see you here, and always enjoy your work. Miss Gaz and SK forum too.

Suede rail?

Thanks courage, no suede rail for this one the colour scheme is red and black so it's gonna be red vinyl with black ssc and black cup holders in the rail :)

Not much to report but got the rail lip screwed to the rail tonight, all inserts glued and screwed into rail and rounded over the sharp edges of the dealer cut out, so all woodworking done, onto the upholstery, pics to follow :)

Rail rounded over, sanded, play foam/ssc upholstered and rail foamed also. Lots done today, just the upholstery of the vinyl tomorrow and the table will be complete!
IMAG0308.jpg
IMAG0309.jpg

Disaster! So the vinyl I was using ripped while doing the dealer cut out arc and its ruined! There was little to no stretch in the vinyl at all so I suppose it was inevitable, so I'm reaching out to you guys to ask what would be the best vinyl I could buy from YAT or any other US company as the vinyl we can get over here in the UK just isn't up to standard, cheers in advance lads.

Oh no! So sorry to hear about the mishap. Stretch in the vinyl is pretty important when doing those funny curves. I've always been using Whisper vinyl. I find it has a good amount of stretch and the texture is really nice as well.

Oh no! So sorry to hear about the mishap. Stretch in the vinyl is pretty important when doing those funny curves. I've always been using Whisper vinyl. I find it has a good amount of stretch and the texture is really nice as well.
Whisper vinyl it is then Tony, cheers!

Also Tony do you have any tip on doin the curved dealer cut out section, ive never did one before, a how to guide if you like, cheers.

Also Tony do you have any tip on doin the curved dealer cut out section, ive never did one before, a how to guide if you like, cheers.

stretch the crap out of it... :)

I know some people will do folds on 90' angles, but I am not a fan if it can be avoided.

With your setup (though not idea considering lumber costs), I'd opt to go with a lower trim ring that fits under the upholstered section. This can be stained or laminated, then you could use deco nails spaced every 1.5" around the circumference. This would act to cover up any wrinkles that might show up UNDER the rail. :) It caps the cut edges of the under vinyl. And it looks way more finished/polished.

Hon Chair.jpg

You should be able to treat the upholstery of the dealer section the same as the inner curve of the rail. Make a bunch of slits in the vinyl to allow it to curve outwards.

So I've found a UK based company that do 4-way stretch vinyl. Got really good reviews so have purchased some grey vinyl, (was way too expensive to ship from across the pond) hopefully this solves the stretch issue I had earlier. Yeah trihonda I've did tables like that in the past but this tables gotta be lightweight so therefore no skirt as such, would defo hide any wrinkles tho your correct but hopefully this new vinyl is as good as it sounds and looks! Fingers crossed.....

You should be able to treat the upholstery of the dealer section the same as the inner curve of the rail. Make a bunch of slits in the vinyl to allow it to curve outwards.
That's what I tried Tony but the vinyl just ripped wide open, it had very little stretch to it tho and was pretty cold also, (it's nearing winter here in Scotland) but hopefully this new vinyl will work a treat

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom