Completely custom table (e.g. Chanman) vs. Semi-Custom (e.g. Gorilla Gaming) (1 Viewer)

CSW

Pair
Reaction score
I'm preparing to buy my first custom (or semi-custom) table for our home game and looking for some advice on where/what to buy.

Current setup: We host 6-8 games per year with an average attendance between 14 and 20 people (2 or 3 tables, since we play 8-max). We use my oversized kitchen table, back patio table, and a square folding table with two standard oval folding toppers and one round folding topper, all outfitted with custom printed toppers from @rjdev7.

The opportunity: I'm looking to upgrade my setup with a first dedicated poker table. I've looked around on PCF and elsewhere to see what my options are, and it looks like things generally fall into two categories:
  1. Fully custom tables from vendors like Chanman, PPL, Big Slik, and K and J (with Chanman seeming to be the favorite among folks on here).
  2. Semi-custom tables from vendors like Gorilla Gaming and BBO (based on my research, it seems like these two options have about the same pricing, but BBO has fewer options and at least somewhat lower perceived quality by the PCF crowd).
So, now my question is this: if I'm not necessarily in need of a statement piece with raised rails, decorative nails, elaborate woodwork, etc., are there any strong reasons to pay the extra for Chanman rather than building something out with Gorilla Gaming?

What I need: What I'm looking for is a standard oval, either 7x4 feet or 8x4 feet with folding legs (I'll be hanging the table on my garage are wall for storage). I'll want custom printed gaming suede to match the three toppers from @rjdev7. I'm open to building cupholders into the rail, but I think I prefer these slide-out cup holders to give more optionality in terms of number of players per table/spacing, etc. I'll probably upgrade to a nice material for the arm rest. I'm still deciding on whether to put some LEDs into the rail (the reviews on PCF seem mixed on that), and whether to have a dealer cutout (I will always be dealing at this table, either as a player-dealer or dedicated TD/dealer, and it seems like the cutout might be somewhat more comfortable?). I'm not sure that a raised rail (beyond what may be necessary for LEDs) or anything particularly decorative is necessary.

My options: If I go with Gorilla Gaming, I'm looking at three options:
  1. The basic Home Game table, which would be about $1500 for everything I need (custom printed felt and upgraded arm rest) or $1700 if I add cupholders. I wouldn't be able to get LEDs with this one.
  2. The Full Dealer Rail table, which would be about $1650 with my setup or $1800 with cupholders. Again, no LEDs on this one; would just be paying for a more comfortable setup as dealer (at least I assume it would be more comfortable, even though I won't have any chip tray, drop box, etc.).
  3. The Illuminati table, which would be $2350 with no LEDs (essentially just paying about $600 for the cool shape) or $2500 with LEDs.
As I understand it, Gorilla's pricing includes shipping within the US, so these would be final prices (other than tax).

With Chanman, on the other hand, it looks like the lowest cost table they could custom build is about $2600 USD ($3500 CAD), including the custom printed playing surface. With an upgraded rail material ($200-450 USD, depending on the material), dealer cutout ($100 USD), cupholders ($300 USD), and LEDs ($550-650 USD), I'd be looking at around:
  • $2800 USD for something comparable to the Gorilla Home Game table
  • $2900 USD for something comparable to the Gorilla Full Dealer Rail
  • $3500 USD for something comparable to the Gorilla Illuminati table (with LEDs).
So, it seems like the Chanman tables come at about a 50-80% premium. And I believe they have a shipping fee of around $150 USD to get the table to the US.

So, is Chanman just not a good fit for my more basic setup? Or am I missing something about quality, service, or something else that would make Chanman worth the premium, even for my less customized setup. I'm not opposed to paying for quality; I just want to make sure that there is in fact some significant benefit in my situation.

I'm open to all feedback on this, as I want to get this big investment in my poker room right.

Thanks, as always!

Check out Pharaoh Manufacturing out of Glendale, CA. All 3 of my tables come from them, including my folding table back up.

1C62E59E-4871-4916-A618-A53D4AB0B549.jpeg
5AA9A837-535D-42AF-A184-BB88369160CE.jpeg
D7A56F3B-283D-4567-899A-DBD156AE154D.jpeg
C68D7F39-AC2D-427F-BF60-DC2052B068FA.jpeg
55A5416C-C012-44D6-A8BD-C1A5C1B6046E.jpeg
8CC74E37-7ADD-42CF-BB8E-DA36C1FE828F.jpeg

Last edited:
I like to think that the quality, and the care we put into our tables is at a very high level. We try to build the best that we can with very high quality materials like high density foams for the rail and playing surface, and custom gaming suede.

That being said, you don't get a big bang for your buck with the lower end tables. When you add lots of customizations like the raised rails, leather instead of vinyl, lights, and especially the legs then it's more worth it to buy from us.

We're also at a slight disadvantage being in Canada with high shipping costs. Our crates alone are 100+ lbs sometimes since we build all custom crates for every table. The US dollar is strong right now that helps with the cost, but that only goes so far.

For something as basic as you're looking for, you may want to go elsewhere for a better value.

Regarding the table build, if you're dealing most of the time then I highly recommend a dealer cutout. The lower rail helps a lot for the dealer. You don't necessarily need a tray, especially if you're playing too. A small rack of chips in front of you to make change is usually enough unless you're using the tray as a bank to quickly give players rebuys and/or top ups. When I deal at my games I like to have the tray, but when I'm also playing then I remove the tray and put in a padded insert to give me room for my own chips and cards.

Though a lot of people consider the raised rail lights to be decorative, they are also functional. They do provide extra lighting to the see cards when peeking at them with the lights on white. We've actually had power outages and been able to keep degen-ing playing until the power came back.

I have 1 friend who has a gorilla gaming table with the GG folding legs (which are hands down the best folding legs). The table an excellent basic table and was easily moveable.

I have another friend with 2 BBO tables. These are more furniture pieces. These appear to be made well and are fine. Although I am not a fan of the Kidney shape. These tables do not move.

I have another friend with a K&J table. Very high end and expensive. This is a very nice custom table. This table has a dedicated space and does not move.

I have a big slik table. This is a very nice table. You can check out my table in my previous posts. My previous table was a custom table with GG folding legs (paid about $1500 plus the GG legs). I used this table for over 10 years. It has held up great. It is still fine. I needed the folding legs because I had to put the table away so my young kids could use the basement.

All of the builders you referenced are fine IMO. Go with the cheapest but get GG folding legs. Just know that any one of these semi custom/custom tables are VERY HEAVY. There is no way I was ever lifting my folding leg table by myself. I slid it on sliders into the storage room. There was absolutely no way I could ever hang this table on the wall. Way too heavy. Just sayin.

I like to think that the quality, and the care we put into our tables is at a very high level. We try to build the best that we can with very high quality materials like high density foams for the rail and playing surface, and custom gaming suede.

That being said, you don't get a big bang for your buck with the lower end tables. When you add lots of customizations like the raised rails, leather instead of vinyl, lights, and especially the legs then it's more worth it to buy from us.

We're also at a slight disadvantage being in Canada with high shipping costs. Our crates alone are 100+ lbs sometimes since we build all custom crates for every table. The US dollar is strong right now that helps with the cost, but that only goes so far.

For something as basic as you're looking for, you may want to go elsewhere for a better value.

Regarding the table build, if you're dealing most of the time then I highly recommend a dealer cutout. The lower rail helps a lot for the dealer. You don't necessarily need a tray, especially if you're playing too. A small rack of chips in front of you to make change is usually enough unless you're using the tray as a bank to quickly give players rebuys and/or top ups. When I deal at my games I like to have the tray, but when I'm also playing then I remove the tray and put in a padded insert to give me room for my own chips and cards.

Though a lot of people consider the raised rail lights to be decorative, they are also functional. They do provide extra lighting to the see cards when peeking at them with the lights on white. We've actually had power outages and been able to keep degen-ing playing until the power came back.
The lower end tables remind me of Honda Civics with spoilers. LOLLOL

It is advice like this, and like in every email communication I’ve had with you, that really makes me want to work with you. You’ve been so helpful, honest, and transparent, and I really appreciate it. I posted this mostly hoping that someone would convince me that working with you was worth the premium, even on a low-end table like mine. I’m really torn, but the more I hear from and about you, the harder it is to say no.

Maybe the answer is that I just need to spec out a fancier, more customized table to get the bang for my buck …

+1 for Chanman. I dont know much about the other tables/manufacturers but what I do know is that I'm extremely happy I decided to work with Tony. Service, product, experience all top notch. For reference my table is more on the basic side with folding legs... but it does have a raised rail!

Just know that any one of these semi custom/custom tables are VERY HEAVY. There is no way I was ever lifting my folding leg table by myself. I slid it on sliders into the storage room. There was absolutely no way I could ever hang this table on the wall. Way too heavy. Just sayin.
Thanks for the heads up. I certainly want to make sure I have a way to store it before I buy it. I’ve looked through this thread and it looks like there are several ideas (particularly posts 4, 12, 22, 24, and 33) for ways to attach this to the wall. Of course, I’ve never handled one of these, but given that Chanman and other experts were involved in the thread, I’m hoping I can rely on their ideas to find something that will work.

I giant French cleat also works. Alignment is super easy since you don't have to line it up exactly.

I’m changing out my gorilla legs bc I want something that looks nicer

I'll give my .02 on why I commissioned @T_Chan to build my custom table in the summer of 2020.

I always knew I wanted a custom table, and the emphasis is on custom, because it was going to be my dream table. I initally looked at BBO, Gorilla, and some other table builders, but nothing was more frustrating when I kept getting told by their customer service folks that they wouldn't be flexible on their templates. If I wanted a bigger table, too bad was essentially the response in a corporate nice way. Simply put, they weren't willing to make a table with my exact specifications. The replies were the complete opposite of my vision for having a custom table built.

I then set about to research Tony's company, spent a lot of time with back-and-forth emails before commissioning the build, and then felt more than comfortable to know I found the right man for the job. Tony listened to me, fully grasped my vision, and perfectly executed it. He also put up with all my last-minute changes and add-ons, and even made suggestions or offered advice on what was either a good or bad idea. From his graphics staff to the actual building process, Tony provides exceptional customer service and I was more than happy with the finished product.

Ultimately, the decision comes down to what you want at this time and what you're willing to spend.

To put it bluntly, some will just build a table. Tony, however, will build your dream if allowed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom