5¢ or 10¢ for microstakes (1 Viewer)

chipinla

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I’ve decided to add either a 5¢ or 10¢ to an upcoming set just because. The set is currently 25¢, $1, $5, $20. Was just thinking it would be nice to have one of those just in case since none of my sets have that.

I keep going back and forth on which to go with. No reason, since 5¢/10¢ won’t make or break anyone’s bank. Just curious what peoples thoughts are and why? Thanks

It depend if your group play 5/10c or 10/20c for the lowest stake.

The lowest I played is 10/20 so 5c is not a good option for me

You can also make NCV or can be both 5c & 10c denom as your option as well

It depend if your group play 5/10c or 10/20c for the lowest stake.

The lowest I played is 10/20 so 5c is not a good option for me

You can also make NCV or can be both 5c & 10c denom as your option as well
Right, I just don’t know ha. I had a recent move back to near some old friends who are super casual players. We would play 5¢/10¢ back in the day and I feel their tastes haven’t changed much. That being said the more I think about it I feel like with that low I don’t even care about small/big blinds. I’m leaning towards a 10¢ and just doing 10¢/10¢ structure if/when needed.

Right, I just don’t know ha. I had a recent move back to near some old friends who are super casual players. We would play 5¢/10¢ back in the day and I feel their tastes haven’t changed much. That being said the more I think about it I feel like with that low I don’t even care about small/big blinds. I’m leaning towards a 10¢ and just doing 10¢/10¢ structure if/when needed.
It’s 2021, a dollar is the new dime.

I had a very old group of friends; we started playing 5c/10c for 10+ year and eventually move up to 10/20c which is already consider a big jump for them.

Some players they just play poker for gathering and chitchat, they actually felt bad if one took too much money from each another so 10/20c felt like a great stake for them

I had a very old group of friends; we started playing 5c/10c for 10+ year and eventually move up to 10/20c which is already consider a big jump for them.

Some players they just play poker for gathering and chitchat, they actually felt bad if one took too much money from each another so 10/20c felt like a great stake for them
Ya that describes these guys perfectly.

I created a NCV denomination previously that I will use as 5c or 10c or 50c depending on stake.

It can also act as a rebuyin or boutry chip as well if I want too

BTP-S1.jpg

Attachments

• BTP-S2.jpg
    BTP-S2.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 41
My vote is for 5c. Just like the debate to do 25c or 50c for fracs, the smaller denom of the two allows a greater range of blinds.

Vote for 5¢ Cuz you already have the 25¢
Multiple
@Saoliver talked me into a 10¢/10¢ structure, and it made more sense based on games I’ve run in the past. So I skipped nickels, but I built the progression around that: 10¢/50¢/$2.50/$10 (the standard $1/$5/$25/$100 divided by 10).

Given you already have quarters, 5¢ is the only option.

Nickels. I had this same decision a while back and people told me very good reasons to do nickels as opposed to dimes. For example, if someone uses 4 dimes to bet 40 and the next person doesn't have 4 dimes and wants to use a quarter, you can't do it. I think that was one example.

Nickels. I had this same decision a while back and people told me very good reasons to do nickels as opposed to dimes. For example, if someone uses 4 dimes to bet 40 and the next person doesn't have 4 dimes and wants to use a quarter, you can't do it. I think that was one example.
You can use 2 Quarters and take the 1 dime change or even $1 and take the change from the middle

Also, use nickels. That way when you play 10c/20c you'll put TWICE AS MANY CHIPS in the pot!
I understand everyone’s reasoning. I feel like I’m leaning 10¢ though simply because I would do 10¢/10¢… not 5¢/10¢. And it would most likely be a rare game. Also only adding one rack of them to the set. And like @LeLe said, making change isn’t super hard.

I would do nickels, for the same reasons as others stated:
1) more chips in play
2) its a multiple (meaning easier to make change for)
3) its more versatile when you want to sell the chips
4) you'll be able to play more stake variations 5c/10c, 5c/5c (regardless of if you plan on it or not!)
5) her name was Nickel, because she wasn't worth a dime!
The cavate is if @detroitdad or @Ben8257 offers you the TRK 10 cent sweetness!

I love dimes and nickels but I think you should have each denom divisible by the one below it. You can’t change a quarter for dimes. Yes, I know you could change two of them for dimes, but still.

I think the real solution here is to add nickels, dimes, and .50’s. That will really open up possibilities… .05/.10, .10/.20, .10/.25 etc. Personally, I would only use nickels with quarters and dimes with half-dollars. Easier for change and less headaches.

.05/.10 or .10/.25
27F2AA1D-7C6D-4B0E-A37E-68915A667D30.jpeg

.10/.10 or .10/.20
B49C8C95-D652-45A1-BF61-37C0D748BCC2.jpeg

Depends on how micro you and your crew want to go.
Also depends on your existing chips.
If you already have quarters, then the way to go is nickels, as minimum chip.
If you had halves, the way to go would have been dimes.

Needless to say that for people playing just very-low-stakes fractional values, any set going 1-5-20 (or 25) - 100 denominations-wise, can be used as representing dimes, rather than dollars.

I used to have all kinds of denominations for my low stakes game ... 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c, and "tokens" that could be anything. The players loved it but I thought it was overkill (they wanted as many colors as possible at one time on the table). Usually I tried to just do 5/25/1.00 or 10/50/2.00
custom_set.jpg

I used to have all kinds of denominations for my low stakes game ... 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c, and "tokens" that could be anything. The players loved it but I thought it was overkill (they wanted as many colors as possible at one time on the table). Usually I tried to just do 5/25/1.00 or 10/50/2.00
View attachment 824597
Agreed. My CPC sets are all 4 chip sets. 25¢, $1, $5, $20. Then I have some 50/100/200 plaques just in case for color up. Rarely seen. Current Sets. (The Biff’s set is ordered which is the one I’d be adding the 5¢ or 10¢ to.
BBFDB666-ABA6-4855-AA0E-67D713B2084F.jpeg

A5DBAC2D-337D-4C6D-8421-E3B1D727EBA5.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom