Cash Game Chips for 10/10? (1 Viewer)

FestiveKnight

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Doubling from 5¢/5¢ to 10¢/10¢ at game next week (woo! we’re on the road to 25¢/25¢!), and I’m trying to decide on chips to use/starting stacks.

I think I’ve seen it mentioned somewhere that dimes and quarters don’t mix well, which makes sense to me for a lot of reasons. However, I’m also opposed to using 5¢ and 10¢ chips because I really don’t like having so many low chips. In 5¢/5¢ using quarters makes a lot of sense.

Soooo, I’m thinking I just use only 10¢, $1s, and $5. $15 starting stacks could be 10/9/1.

Any better ideas? Curious about any strong opinions.

What chips do you have? Non denominated?

You could keep the 5c chips and go 10x5c, 10x 25c,12x$1 (i'd rather go 10x5c 18x25c 10x$1 personally, but depends on your chip count)

Or you could go 10x10c,12x50c,4x$2 (or 8x$1)

Having an 10 times jump is bad because you'll need way more chips to make a given bet. You'll need to make change much more frequently, and it's harder to make change when you can only do so in increments of 10.

Say someone opens to 30c, and someone else raises to 80c. Two callers to a 3 way flop. No matter who wins the pot, 2 players now only have 2x10c chips and immediately need to make change.

The long timers here have advocated 4x-5x of the next denomination.

1/5/20 or 25/100/500

What chips do you have? Non denominated?

You could keep the 5c chips and go 10x5c, 10x 25c,12x$1 (i'd rather go 10x5c 18x25c 10x$1 personally, but depends on your chip count)

Or you could go 10x10c,12x50c,4x$2 (or 8x$1)

Having an 10 times jump is bad because you'll need way more chips to make a given bet. You'll need to make change much more frequently, and it's harder to make change when you can only do so in increments of 10.

Say someone opens to 30c, and someone else raises to 80c. Two callers to a 3 way flop. No matter who wins the pot, 2 players now only have 2x10c chips and immediately need to make change.
Chips are the other incentive I’m trying to work around… I can borrow a friends Tina set that has 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, $1, $5, $25 or use my Rat Rod which has $1, $5, $25, and $100 and I have two racks of THC solids. I’d love to use the RR but would prefer only 1 non denom chip in play so would prefer only one frac. Both sets have more than enough chips for any starting stacks.

That’s a lot of good reasons against just using dimes though. I hadn’t thought about any actual example hand like that. Big goal was to get the silly nickels of the table. Some of the group isn’t feeling quite ready for 25¢/25¢ yet but the 5¢ chips just get no respect.

What’s the minimum number of nickels for a $15 initial buy in with 5¢, 25¢, $1s and $5s?

For 5¢/5¢ I did 10/10/2 for $5 total to the first four seats then 5/11/2 for the rest of the seats which worked quite well to limit nickels.

So maybe I go with 10/10/7/1 for first 4 seats then
5/11/7/1 for the rest.

The long timers here have advocated 4x-5x of the next denomination.

1/5/20 or 25/100/500
I’m well aware of that premise and would ordinary follow it. Was curious about a way to avoid nickels for 10¢/10¢ if I ignored that rule of thumb a bit but that doesn’t seem promising.

The numbers you posted don’t specifically seem relevant?

I'm curious the aversion to nickels, is it that you don't have that many? Players having to put 2 chips for SB and BB should not be that cumbersome, unless the game plays with lots of limpers.
I would think most games would be SB and BB post their 10c, but the first raise would be a 25c, and subsequent bets would also be 25c?

I’m well aware of that premise and would ordinary follow it. Was curious about a way to avoid nickels for 10¢/10¢ if I ignored that rule of thumb a bit but that doesn’t seem promising.

The numbers you posted don’t specifically seem relevant?
Apparently not sir :). good luck with your search!

Chips are the other incentive I’m trying to work around… I can borrow a friends Tina set that has 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, $1, $5, $25 or use my Rat Rod which has $1, $5, $25, and $100 and I have two racks of THC solids. I’d love to use the RR but would prefer only 1 non denom chip in play so would prefer only one frac. Both sets have more than enough chips for any starting stacks.

That’s a lot of good reasons against just using dimes though. I hadn’t thought about any actual example hand like that. Big goal was to get the silly nickels of the table. Some of the group isn’t feeling quite ready for 25¢/25¢ yet but the 5¢ chips just get no respect.

What’s the minimum number of nickels for a $15 initial buy in with 5¢, 25¢, $1s and $5s?

For 5¢/5¢ I did 10/10/2 for $5 total to the first four seats then 5/11/2 for the rest of the seats which worked quite well to limit nickels.

So maybe I go with 10/10/7/1 for first 4 seats then
5/11/7/1 for the rest.

Use your Rat Rod set and take the denom/10
1s become 10ct
5s become 50ct
25s become 2,50$

Starting stack for 10$ buy in if you have enough Chips:
20x - 10cts
16x - 50cts

Everything beyond 100bb with 2,50$

If constrained in Chips:
10x - 10cts
13x - 50cts (alternative 8)
1x - 2,50$ (alternative 2)

If using 10c, $1 and $5s only, the one thing I would recommend is having plenty of 10c chips on the table. I'd probably give 20x to each player. If you don't have enough for that I'd use some 50cs as well. If you don't have 50c, I'd prefer 5c, 25c, $1, $5.

1s become 10ct
5s become 50ct
25s become 2,50$

20x - 10cts
16x - 50cts

If constrained in Chips:
10x - 10cts
I also use my $1/5/25/100 Indiana Grand set for 10x smaller buy ins. You get for 10€ 100$ in Chips. Worked fine. No complaints.

I made the jump from:
5¢/10¢ (200bb starting stack) = $20
To
25¢/25¢ (100bb starting stack) = $25

Most recreational player will think about the stakes in terms of the buy in amount. So even though the stakes are effectively "much higher" most people don't think it's much different since it's only $5 more for the buy in.

You could try this approach if you're trying to ease your group into 25¢/25¢

I'd recommend not getting or using 10¢ chips or 50¢ chips. They'll probably just make things more awkward.

I'm curious the aversion to nickels, is it that you don't have that many? Players having to put 2 chips for SB and BB should not be that cumbersome, unless the game plays with lots of limpers.
I would think most games would be SB and BB post their 10c, but the first raise would be a 25c, and subsequent bets would also be 25c?
About half the tables are relatively new to poker and also happen to be poor grad school students. Last time basically every hand got limped and often the HJ or CO would bump it up to 25¢ or 50¢ and still get several callers. I don’t think using the chips in stacks to manipulate betting behavior is perfect but the thought is that somewhat limiting the nickels would help.

The only thing I miss about 5¢/10¢ stakes was what my group called "the big dollar".

Which meant betting/calling with an entire barrel of 5¢ chips. It was pretty funny to see so many chips that only equal to $1

1s become 10ct
5s become 50ct
25s become 2,50$

20x - 10cts
16x - 50cts

If constrained in Chips:
10x - 10cts

I also use my $1/5/25/100 Indiana Grand set for 10x smaller buy ins. You get for 10€ 100$ in Chips. Worked fine. No complaints.
I’ve played in games with this before and it kind of irks me. If I have access to the perfectly useable Tina set I don’t think I can justify doing this instead.

If using 10c, $1 and $5s only, the one thing I would recommend is having plenty of 10c chips on the table. I'd probably give 20x to each player. If you don't have enough for that I'd use some 50cs as well. If you don't have 50c, I'd prefer 5c, 25c, $1, $5.
I have 2 racks of starburst arc yellows and it looks like we’ll have 8 players so that’s enough for 20x. I’m also thinking I’d still want to have more for the first few seats and less for later seats? The crowd are all casual and good friends and made change very easily last time.

I made the jump from:
To

Most recreational player will think about the stakes in terms of the buy in amount. So even though the stakes are effectively "much higher" most people don't think it's much different since it's only $5 more for the buy in.

I'd recommend not getting or using 10¢ chips or 50¢ chips. They'll probably just make things more awkward.
The issue is that I’m trying to encourage good bank roll management. I’ve proscribed that one should be comfortable with an initial 150-200BB buy in and firing at least two more 100BB bullets. I shouldn’t micromanage but they’re new players and I don’t want them running out too quickly and having a bad time.

Half the group would happily play for $300 buy ins, the other half have played 2 or 3 times total and happen to have less means and having (150x25¢) + (200x 25¢) is too much money for them to spend on a night even if they’re getting free booze and food from me!

I’ve played in games with this before and it kind of irks me. If I have access to the perfectly useable Tina set I don’t think I can justify doing this instead.
Than its not for you.
How ever I thought it would be worth to mention.

Agree with not mixing dimes and quarters. And going straight from dimes to dollars you want a lot of dimes, at least 20 per player. If you have fiddies they would make a great supplement.

I have 2 racks of starburst arc yellows and it looks like we’ll have 8 players so that’s enough for 20x. I’m also thinking I’d still want to have more for the first few seats and less for later seats? The crowd are all casual and good friends and made change very easily last time.

I don't think it much matters whether you give everyone a barrel as they sit down, or front load and give the first few players more. I've done both and I don't see much difference...I basically do whichever seems the most natural based on the number players there when we start.

I made the jump from:
To

Agree with this. Except, I think I actually like .50 better than .25. Lately I've switched from .25/.50 to .50/.50 and love it.

Adding dimes to this setup would be perfect. In fact it's equivalent to a T100 setup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom