Cash Game 2nd largest stack - move tables, change your play or stay? (1 Viewer)

Move tables, change play style or carry on as normal?

• Stay and play on as normal

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Stay but play scared against the big stack

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Leave the table, pocket my winnings and buy in to another table

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Darson

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Say you're playing where there a multiple cash tables and you have ground your way up to 4 or 5x the max buy-in but there is someone else on the table with a larger stack. Do you play super conservative against the big stack, play normal with the fear of getting into a hand where you can lose it all or leave and rat-hole your profits?

For example, I buy in to a cash table for the the max buy-in of $200, I grind my way up to $800 but there is another big stack at the table with $1000+. What would you do?

Personally I get a bit scared when I have a big stack as I feel I start playing looser and maybe get into hands that I shouldn't. So to mitigate this, I sometimes think about leaving and buying in to another table to protect my gains and limit my losses.

Say you're playing where there a multiple cash tables and you have ground your way up to 4 or 5x the max buy-in but there is someone else on the table with a larger stack. Do you play super conservative against the big stack, play normal with the fear of getting into a hand where you can lose it all or leave and rat-hole your profits?

For example, I buy in to a cash table for the the max buy-in of $200, I grind my way up to $800 but there is another big stack at the table with $1000+. What would you do?

Personally I get a bit scared when I have a big stack as I feel I start playing looser and maybe get into hands that I shouldn't. So to mitigate this, I sometimes think about leaving and buying in to another table to protect my gains and limit my losses.

In your example. I wouldn't adjust my play to much. Now if I have 800 and he has 2k+, then yes, I probably play a little more abc vs him. In this example his stack isn't big enough for me to worry about.

I understand where you are coming from. Generally 1/2 and 1/3 games can feel shallow with all the money getting in on the turn/river.

I think the solution is to get comfortable and learn how to play deep. The strategy changes and trapping becomes much more important. You can get away with playing more speculative hands like J9 or 8,10 in hopes of hitting a straight. Also the nuts become more valuable when playing deep. Nutty draws also increase in value.

In 1/2 games you might just stack off with top pair and good kicker but you never ever want to do this when playing deep. You need to control the size of the pot relative to your hand strength.

You DO need to alter your play when going against a big stack but quitting the game is not the solution IMO.

Big pocket pairs have reverse implied odds when playing deep. If I have 200 behind in a 1/2 game and I raise pre-flop with AA or KK I am usually ok getting it in on the flop.

Lets say you raise to 20 pre with AA and the deep stack calls. Flop comes down you bet 3/4 pot to protect your hand and then the deep stack raises you to 110. This is a hard spot since you cant stack off (well you can go all in but it would be very bad).

Even if he has a weird hand like middle pair with a draw it is hard for us to continue. Calling the 90 is one thing but there are 2 more streets to go and we can't afford to keep calling big bets with just 1 pair in our hand.

Hence, when playing deep you want to play draws and hit big hands and then stack the villain.

If you know how to adjust when playing deep, stick around. You want someone at the table who can double you up.

If you're concerned about playing scared money, there's nothing wrong with moving to a table that has shallower stacks. Many rooms require you to pocket any chips above the max buy-in when you voluntarily change tables, so you'd be able to pocket your profit and go back to a comfortable depth.

Also, consider hosting a deep stack cash game for stakes that you're more comfortable with. Maybe instead of .25/.50 for 100bb, host a .05/.10 game with 250-500bb buy-ins. It takes practice to be comfortable and play well with deep stacks, and this is a relatively cheap way to get that practice.

you're playing where there a multiple cash tables and you have ground your way up to 4 or 5x the max buy-in but there is someone else on the table with a larger stack. Do you play super conservative against the big stack, play normal with the fear of getting into a hand where you can lose it all or leave and rat-hole your profits?

You may want to check with your club on this. My club does not permit rat-holing if you move between games of the same stake.

Stack-size doesn't matter in this case. Play against him in the style that positions you to be the most profitable.

Reactions: Nex
If the money is that significant to you then cash out and call it a night.

Personally I don’t feel I am really playing poker until several people at the table are at least 300 to 400BB deep.

As already mentioned you need to adjust your what you will stack off with and when.

With $200 to $300 in a $1/2 or $1/3 game you are happy to jam preflop with AK and QQ or top pair on the flop in a raised pot.

But at $800 the reverse implied odds come into play a lot for top pair hands. Now you are needing much stronger hands most of the time to get all in on the flop, if at all.

You really need to become more comfortable playing multiple streets of betting, not just preflop and flop.

If the money is that significant to you then cash out and call it a night.

Personally I don’t feel I am really playing poker until several people at the table are at least 300 to 400BB deep.

As already mentioned you need to adjust your what you will stack off with and when.

With $200 to $300 in a $1/2 or $1/3 game you are happy to jam preflop with AK and QQ or top pair on the flop in a raised pot.

But at $800 the reverse implied odds come into play a lot for top pair hands. Now you are needing much stronger hands most of the time to get all in on the flop, if at all.

You really need to become more comfortable playing multiple streets of betting, not just preflop and flop.

I think you’re a very smart poker player, or a psychologist. You’re right - the more I have in my stack, the more nervous I get about it and don’t change the way I play.

My problem is that when I’m playing against another big stack, I can work the odds but get scared to call or raise for fear of wiping out the stack I’ve made on a lucky river for the villain. I understand the swings and am happy to lose my buyin to a suck out but not happy to lose 4x my buyin when it’s rarely up that high!

I am willing to bet you would feel differently if you had entered into a $20 game and built your stack up to $80. The amount of money is what makes you anxious. Eventually, you will need to overcome this fear if you want to take your game to the next level.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom