Cash Game Seat Change time! But nobody moved (1 Viewer)

ArielVer18

Flush
Reaction score
It's after midnight. Some big winners and some big losers have already left early. Seven players left on the poker table. There's still a lot of money left on the table and emotions are running high. Chips have been flying and no big stack is safe. A player requested a seat reassignment.

For reference, the house rule is seats are randomly assigned. Individual seat change requests will be ignored. We can reassign seats if at least one hour have passed. This usually happen only once or twice in a game. A change of scenery is never a bad thing, but it's not like we're playing musical chairs once an hour.

This time, the seven players drew their exact same seats. What are the odds of that?!

What should we do? Redraw for seats? Stick to the rules, stay in your seat, and laugh about the statistical anomaly? No wrong answers.

Am I wrong or are the odds 1/7*1/6*1/5*1/4*1/3*1/2? 1/7 chance the first person gets the same seat, 1/6 chance the next person, and so on, for .019% or 1/5040.

Assuming relative order is all that matters (and not absolute seat #) then you could lop off the 1/7, for .138% or 1/720

I suppose you put it to a vote - if majority want to reshuffle again, you go for it. Else you keep it as is - they're there to gamble, they know sometimes thing just turn out weird!

Am I wrong or are the odds 1/7*1/6*1/5*1/4*1/3*1/2? 1/7 chance the first person gets the same seat, 1/6 chance the next person, and so on, for .019% or 1/5040.

Assuming relative order is all that matters (and not absolute seat #) then you could lop off the 1/7, for .138% or 1/720
Odds that each player has the same player to his left and right is 1/6*1/5*1/4*1/3*1/2= 0,0013888889. Thats how i would calculate it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom