2019 NCAA Bracket Challenge interest? (aka Sparty was robbed!) (1 Viewer)

So, it appears PAZ created a bracket on ESPN in time, but it didn't go into our pool.

I just want to do a quick survey of the other participants... I think he should still be allowed to participate in the PCF pool, because:
  • He paid
  • He submitted a bracket on time on the ESPN site
  • His picks were locked in as soon as tipoff occurred on Thursday, so he couldn't change anything based on game results
  • I know ESPN was experiencing technical issues in allowing people to join public and private groups before tipoff
Does anyone have an issue with PAZ using his bracket and being a part of this?

Totally 100% fine with it!

I need Gonzaga to lose their next game or @MacGrad is going to be tough for me to beat (if Virginia wins it all). Still lots of other chances out there. I.e - if Duke wins it all. or Michigan State!!, or NC, or Kentucky or Gonzaga!

So far, the only player that we can say for sure can't win it is eastabos. The introduction of Paz eliminated him/her from contention.

I need Gonzaga to lose their next game or @MacGrad is going to be tough for me to beat (if Virginia wins it all). Still lots of other chances out there. I.e - if Duke wins it all. or Michigan State!!, or NC, or Kentucky or Gonzaga!
Actually, the only way I beat you now is if Gonzaga wins their next game; otherwise, I think our brackets are exactly the same (and we can split the money when Virginia wins it all).

(Or Michigan State wins it all and we get to buy some sweet "National Champions" gear.)

I finally got the chance to check out the brackets (missed all the games the past few nights).

By my (unofficial) calculations, the following players no longer have a chance...
  • Sparty cannot defeat MacGrad
  • Slurpee cannot defeat Wedge Rock
  • msuroo cannot defeat Apache
  • Cantspell cannot defeat MacGrad
  • Eastabos cannot defeat Paz
  • PjPickled cannot defeat Paz
This is of course, unofficial. I may have mistyped things into the spreadsheet.

GO SPARTANS

Down to the final 4 in the brackets, each with a different champion. Duke-Michigan State should be a good game tonight!

Down to the final 4 in the brackets, each with a different champion. Duke-Michigan State should be a good game tonight!
I’ve watched almost every minute of every Michigan state game again this year. I wish Michigan state was at full strength. We lost one of our best players half way through the season (josh Langford). Also our 7th man senior Kyle Aherns was Rock solid and is out so we are not as deep as I’d like. Additionally, our best big man most of the year was nick Ward who was an animal inside hasn’t been the same since he had to sit out 5 weeks with a broken hand that he just banged up again yesterday. He doesn’t have his conditioning back yet enough to play a lot of minutes. ....duke and coach k have pretty much owned Izzo and the Spartans in recent years, they are loaded with NBA talent on their roster that we probably only matched up with LAST year. But this is a really interesting group of players. They are SO well coached and more than experienced than the duke players, so perhaps technique and grit and experience can carry the day. Go Spartans!!

376B108C-C127-41AB-9A28-D48C6E05355E.png

Last edited:
I'm torn about the Duke / MSU game -- on the one hand, I'm thinking that those past two games have been extremely "un-Duke-like", and I'm expecting them to get back to form and win a game by 20.

On the other hand, they've really been lucky to win against two inferior teams (UCF and Virginia Tech), and I can't see them surviving a 3rd "last second" shot if it comes down to that. Plus Reddish is a gametime decision, so they aren't completely at 100%...

Every team is inferior to Duke when you compare talent. I don't know if you're giving UCF and VT enough credit. It should be a good game.

And Duke is beatable partly due to their poor 3-point shooting. VT correctly invite Tre Jones to shoot and he went 5/7 from 3 which is unheard of him throughout the year. UCF had Tacko to protect the rim as well and Duke was forced to shoot over-the-top.

When Duke is on, they're on (see second Virgina game this year)

Apache burns with the Blue Devils.

It comes down to MacGrad (Virginia) and Zombie (Michigan State). I hope both make it to the championship - make it a good sweat.

Virginia - MSU would be my nightmare scenario of a final.

Cheer for the team that wins me money, or MY NCAA school?
(It'll be tough, but I know what I'll be doing in that scenario...)

Virginia - MSU would be my nightmare scenario of a final.

Cheer for the team that wins me money, or MY NCAA school?
(It'll be tough, but I know what I'll be doing in that scenario...)

You should obviously just hedge so you can root for your team!

2 evil empires went down today. I've got UVA winning it all in my pool.

Since 2011 dook has had 30 McDonald's All-Americans. Other than 2015 (when they won it all), they haven't made the Final Four during that timeframe.

ratface should be ashamed. 2 lottery picks and another 1st rounder. That's an NBA team. Worst coaching job in history.

2 evil empires went down today. I've got UVA winning it all in my pool.

Since 2011 dook has had 30 McDonald's All-Americans. Other than 2015 (when they won it all), they haven't made the Final Four during that timeframe.

ratface should be ashamed. 2 lottery picks and another 1st rounder. That's an NBA team. Worst coaching job in history.
I'm guessing... UNC fan? :whistle: :whistling:

Worst coaching job in history? That's laughable. From this tournament, I'd give that honor to UMichigan with their offensive explosion in their last game.

Duke was beaten because freshmen made freshmen mistakes: they turned over the ball WAY too many times, shot just over 60% from the FT line, and didn't give Zion a shooting attempt in the last 1:43. And they STILL nearly won the game!

I am fully willing to admit Sparty was lucky tonight. McQuaid's no-look prayer that went in was the difference... or RJ making that 2nd FT instead of it bouncing out like it was supposed to was the difference...

But losing by 1 to the #6 team in the nation is hardly the "worst coaching job in history".

(Now, if you'll excuse me, that's the most I've ever defended Duke basketball in my life. I need to have a shower.)

GO GREEN!

OK, I'm not in the pool, and just happened to see this. I'll just say this:

Guns up! Wreck 'em Tech!

Go Texas Tech! First time to final four. My only issue with Michigan State is they are the next team Tech plays.

I'm not that big of a basketball fan, but it is exciting when our team gets this far.

I'm guessing... UNC fan? :whistle: :whistling:

Worst coaching job in history? That's laughable. From this tournament, I'd give that honor to UMichigan with their offensive explosion in their last game.

Duke was beaten because freshmen made freshmen mistakes: they turned over the ball WAY too many times, shot just over 60% from the FT line, and didn't give Zion a shooting attempt in the last 1:43. And they STILL nearly won the game!

I am fully willing to admit Sparty was lucky tonight. McQuaid's no-look prayer that went in was the difference... or RJ making that 2nd FT instead of it bouncing out like it was supposed to was the difference...

But losing by 1 to the #6 team in the nation is hardly the "worst coaching job in history".

(Now, if you'll excuse me, that's the most I've ever defended Duke basketball in my life. I need to have a shower.)

GO GREEN!

I was using a bit of hyperbole and not talking about 1 game, but the whole season. I went to UNC (been a Carolina fan since third grade). You just have no idea how much we hate each other. We got so sick of the dSPN dook slurpfest throughout the year. Zion, Zion, Zion!

dook's always getting the #1 recruiting class. UNC's Seniors were ranked the #70th class coming in as freshman. Talk was dook was going to be unbeatable and then they come in 3rd for the conference regular season. They really should have lost to UCF, but glad they're done, not making Final 4. Based on the hype, this season was a failure for them.

FTFdF!!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom