1st Build Plans - Round & No Racetrack (1 Viewer)

mabel.5

Sitting Out
Reaction score
My brother and I are attempting our first build. Trying to finish before his first child comes next month. I've been scouring the internet for plans but unfortunately most build threads no longer have the pictures hosted.

Rough details:
- Own a fat dining room table base for a 56 inch round table (removed) which will be used for the poker table based.
- Round table with no racetrack that can seat up to 8 players. Most games host 6.
- Cupholders in the rail
- Debating merits of raised rail. Likely go with a stained wood inlay as opposed to diffuser/leds

Questions:
- Can anybody point me to a build thread that is along these plans?
- Is it worth the trouble of a raised rail? I understand this is personal preference but the goal is to have a nice piece for the basement that he will be happy with for years.
- Felt. Suited speed or ultra-soft velveteen? Will likely go dark green against a black rail.
- Any insight or direction into foam density/thickness would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any direction that can be provided. We aren't looking to cut any corners expense-wise. He is experienced with woodworking and should have all the necessary tools but has little experience with poker in general which is why he is tapping me for the general design help.

I'll keep this as a build in progress thread as we get underway.

My brother and I are attempting our first build. Trying to finish before his first child comes next month. I've been scouring the internet for plans but unfortunately most build threads no longer have the pictures hosted.

Rough details:
- Own a fat dining room table base for a 56 inch round table (removed) which will be used for the poker table based.
- Round table with no racetrack that can seat up to 8 players. Most games host 6.
- Cupholders in the rail
- Debating merits of raised rail. Likely go with a stained wood inlay as opposed to diffuser/leds

Questions:
- Can anybody point me to a build thread that is along these plans?
- Is it worth the trouble of a raised rail? I understand this is personal preference but the goal is to have a nice piece for the basement that he will be happy with for years.
- Felt. Suited speed or ultra-soft velveteen? Will likely go dark green against a black rail.
- Any insight or direction into foam density/thickness would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any direction that can be provided. We aren't looking to cut any corners expense-wise. He is experienced with woodworking and should have all the necessary tools but has little experience with poker in general which is why he is tapping me for the general design help.

I'll keep this as a build in progress thread as we get underway.
Questions:

Yes! If it is a show piece a raised rail looks very nice.

Custom gaming cloth from @T_Chan is a better option than anything else. Priced well and beautiful.

1/4 inch for the playing surface - closed cell Velora will help possible spills, but the open cell YAT foam plays a bit better
1 inch rail foam for the rail - also from YAT (Yourautotrim.com) I went with the high density 65lb and am very happy with it

Thanks for the quick responses and opinions on materials! Was hoping to draw from the experience of the people instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

With the varying designs of tables out there I'm gathering that it may take pulling aspects from different build threads that I want to incorporate in our table.

Thanks for the quick responses and opinions on materials! Was hoping to draw from the experience of the people instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

With the varying designs of tables out there I'm gathering that it may take pulling aspects from different build threads that I want to incorporate in our table.
Check out the poker table section on yourautotrim - they have all you'll need.

BTW - welcome to PCF and where in Dallas are you located?

Questions:

Yes! If it is a show piece a raised rail looks very nice.

Yes, they look wonderful, but how do they play? I don't think I've ever played on a raised rail. I'm wondering if they're better, worse, or no different.
My suspicion is that they're a little worse to play on - I just feel like having your wrists up higher can't help. But I don't know. I hope I'm not derailing with this question.

Yes, they look wonderful, but how do they play? I don't think I've ever played on a raised rail. I'm wondering if they're better, worse, or no different.
My suspicion is that they're a little worse to play on - I just feel like having your wrists up higher can't help. But I don't know. I hope I'm not derailing with this question.
I've played on one with a 1/2 rise and it was just fine. No pain in the wrists - but I did notice that I had to lift the cards a bit more to peak at them. I don't think it would make a difference for me.

If this is going to be a convertible table (dining to poker & back again) it would be much easier to build a poker table top to go over the dining table top.
And welcome!

If this is going to be a convertible table (dining to poker & back again) it would be much easier to build a poker table top to go over the dining table top.
And welcome!
No. Not planning on convertible.

Here is what I plan on purchasing thus far based on the suggestions provided:

For the vinyl I see a lot of people using the "whisper faux leather vinyl". Is this a solid choice? Any reason or merit to any of the other vinyl offerings in anyone's experience?
Do not use the other vinyl choices. I did and regret it. It doesn't strech well and I have two visable tears. Get the whisper.

Something to consider about the vinyl is the size. Whisper vinyl is only 54" wide but it looks like you're building a 56" table. You also need extra vinyl to go around the sides of the edges and underneath to staple, so whisper isn't big enough when upholstering using conventional methods. It can be stretched but there's a real technique to it. You may have to find something wider such as the 61" Heidi super stretch vinyl also offered from YAT.

I've seen 54" vinyl stretched to cover a 60" table. It can be done, but having never done it myself, I don't know how delicate the process is...

Something to consider about the vinyl is the size. Whisper vinyl is only 54" wide but it looks like you're building a 56" table. You also need extra vinyl to go around the sides of the edges and underneath to staple, so whisper isn't big enough when upholstering using conventional methods. It can be stretched but there's a real technique to it. You may have to find something wider such as the 61" Heidi super stretch vinyl also offered from YAT.
I don't have to go up to 56" just landed on it because that was the size of the previous table top for the base. I think I read a post you made somewhere that 54" could fit 8 (most of the time we likely won't get 8 playing). If I go 54" and stretch it would that make it worth it?

On a side note I've been drooling over the custom felts you've put together in the custom felt thread. I've linked my brother to that to see what he thinks. Only problem is we never considered implementing any type of theme and are not creative! Might take some more thought on the felt!

gaming suede >> suited speed cloth >>>>>>> anything else. Velveteen sucks imo.

I prefer USV to SSC.

SSC is "scratchy" and overdone, IMO. I'd get a custom felt if I had a dedicated room, but my tables are set up for a handful of uses each year, then stored. For me, its about feel and card movement. I've never had a problem with the card movement on USV and it feels better to the touch that SSC, IMO.

I don't have to go up to 56" just landed on it because that was the size of the previous table top for the base. I think I read a post you made somewhere that 54" could fit 8 (most of the time we likely won't get 8 playing). If I go 54" and stretch it would that make it worth it?

On a side note I've been drooling over the custom felts you've put together in the custom felt thread. I've linked my brother to that to see what he thinks. Only problem is we never considered implementing any type of theme and are not creative! Might take some more thought on the felt!
I know a guy that can help here @p5woody ;)

I think as far as the mechanics of the table, any of the most popular felt options would be adequate for a relatively small diameter round table, because the cards themselves don't really need to travel more than 4 feet from any dealing position.

However, when you are dealing with a 10-seat long table with a rotating dealer where a card may have to glide 7 feet from end-to-end, then your card glide characteristics (and dealing technique) make much more difference. Gaming suede is probably your best choice in this circumstance. That you can dye-sub print custom graphics on gaming suede is just an amazing bonus to make the table truly one-of-a-kind, no matter what shape you plan on using.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom