1/2 hand. I think I played it wrong. (1 Viewer)

As a traumatised online micro-stakes player, I insist this flop is an all-in by the Hero.
My eyes have witnessed un-f*ckin-believable suckouts.
Again, this is a live game at higher stakes, but the button feels like an online player.
Yes one of the great lessons in life that poker teaches is there is a mountain of difference between 0% and 20%.

And that if you worry too much about the 20% you really cheat yourself the 80% of the time your hand holds up.

The best player always wins a chess match. If suckouts bother you, take up chess, not poker.

As I previously stated BB had led into us

Flop is :

:kd::6d::tc:

BB leads 20$ into 37.
UTG folds.

I raised, perhaps not large enough? , to 50 $

Button folded
BB now re raises to 100 total

Now what would you like to do? We have :kh::kc:

What range do you put him on?
BB has 66, 1010, or a combo draw, and that’s it…I guess K 10 is possible due to the lack of a 3-bet pre. It’s time to jam regardless, not because you’re scared of what’s coming, but because you’re likely to get called.

Yep figured this was where I made one mistake.

I was overthinking stack sizes and made it 200 to go. SB called

437$ in the pot

Turn::kd::6d::tc: :2d:

SB bets 161$ and is all in

What would we like to do?

Flop is :

BB leads 20$ into 37.
UTG folds.

Button folded

That’s a Degree All In Moment!

437$ in the pot

I’m not folding

437$ in the pot

There's literally no way you can fold here. No point in even contemplating anything other than a snap call. If he's got the flush you have 10 outs... so you've either got him crushed or you're getting the correct price on your FH draw. No one with any poker experience will ever advocate a fold here.

How did the river run out for you?

437$ in the pot

Think it's an easy call.

Yes it's about 4-1 against redrawing to a full house or better and the pot is laying 3-1. But I think that can be made up by some of the non-flush holdings villain will have. The smaller sets and the few kx combos.

I expect I will be shown a flush most of the time, but it's a good enough price to go for the redraw or to hope it's set over set.

He could show you the flush and your call makes $11

One move to make.

Deeper, you can think about folding because this is a flush very very often.
I don't think he turns over a flush. I'm thinking a set, :kx::ad: or some weird 2-pair.

I think a bare FD or even the combo draw is going to 5-bet jam the flop. It just doesn't make sense that he would flat HERO's 4-bet OOP like this.

Now from the way this played out, I don't think we're discussing a particularly savvy player, but that's besides the point.

Well I am glad you are all saying call. I thought about this for a minute or so. I just could not see the line he took with a combo draw or bare flush draw. I think the combo draw would have reshoved my 200 bet after taking the initial reraise and I thought a bare flush draw would have just called my initial raise. I figured he had a weird 2 pair or underset , or perhaps top pair top kicker.

I flipped up my cards to show what I had , talked my reasoning out and called.

SB winced.

River was
:kd::6d::tc::3d::qd:

I freaked out at the 4th diamond , but SB had complete trash with :jc::th: and we scooped the pot.

I thought it was kind of a neat hand because my poor play with not 3 betting pre flop, not raising bigger on the flop, not going all in on the flop caused him to spew chips. But I definitely made some mistakes

Well I am glad you are all saying call. I thought about this for a minute or so. I just could not see the line he took with a combo draw or bare flush draw. I think the combo draw would have reshoved my 200 bet after taking the initial reraise and I thought a bare flush draw would have just called my initial raise. I figured he had a weird 2 pair or underset , or perhaps top pair top kicker.

SB winced.

River was

I freaked out at the 4th diamond , but SB had complete trash with :jc::th: and we scooped the pot.

I thought it was kind of a neat hand because my poor play with not 3 betting pre flop, not raising bigger on the flop, not going all in on the flop caused him to spew chips. But I definitely made some mistakes
LOL wut
That’s beyond punt spewy

SB winced.

River was

What in the actual ef?!
In my experience with home game...they almost always have at least a draw....at showdown anyways.
Congrats.

I would make a mental note in bold that he is just in there clicking buttons.

Pre: Close to, if not full, 100% 3-bet. I guess an argument can be made for flatting if there are very trigger happy sqeezers left to act. I assume the plan was to 4-bet in that case? I’m not a huge fan of that play as I have a hard imagining you’d be very balanced in that spot (obv if opponents are just clicking buttons, that wouldn’t matter though).

Flop: I’d be much more inclined to flat his lead on something like :kd::6d::2c: but there’re just too many potential draws and combo draws on the actual board. Raise to around $80 imo. As played, ship it over his weird 3-bet.

but SB had complete trash with :jc::th:
278738A4-A487-4EA2-B6FA-B3576FB58419.gif

Flop is :

BB leads 20$ into 37.
UTG folds.

Button folded
I guess I’m not shocked though. Because this re-raise just felt like bullshit.

Flop is :

BB leads 20$ into 37.
UTG folds.

Button folded

Strawberry jam.

SB winced.

River was

NH.

Couple quick wrap-up points to make:

1) The fact that you tanked on this turn decision - along with your rather passive lines pre and post flop is indicative of some tentativeness, which is probably a leak if this is typical of your playing style. Aggression is generally rewarded in NLHE.

2) There's something to be said for taking unconventional lines with ultra-strong hands. This is almost always done to induce bluffs and/or to extract value from weaker made hands. That said, I don't think that's the case here. I think you accidentally extracted max value from a fish to whom we all gave WAY too much credit. He couldn't possibly have played his hand worse if he tried, and was properly punished. I hope for your sake he becomes a regular in your game. Treat him well :)

I think in the end, the misplay got the guy to loose his crap with like zero equity
not ideal but sure works sometimes
Doesnt mean it's the most effective way to play. I assume we are looking to improve in these posts, no?

In this hand, Hero plays bad and villain plays badder. If you play like this with KK UTG1 in the long run, you are asking to get destroyed.

Doesnt mean it's the most effective way to play. I assume we are looking to improve in these posts, no?

In this hand, Hero plays bad and villain plays badder. If you play like this with KK UTG1 in the long run, you are asking to get destroyed.

if you go to a flop 5 handed yes
I wouldnt want to do that every time
but If you have the ability to get away from it when it goes wrong ok
the way this went down only a couple players to the flop and heads up later ehhhh, yah not ideal but
trapping has its situations

NOW, Overall.... when you are afraid to jam the flop with the nuts and top set, I think you need to re-evaluate life
in general if you are playing for over $20 for fun stacks.

if you go to a flop 5 handed yes
I wouldnt want to do that every time
but If you have the ability to get away from it when it goes wrong ok
the way this went down only a couple players to the flop and heads up later ehhhh, yah not ideal but
trapping has its situations

NOW, Overall.... when you are afraid to jam the flop with the nuts and top set, I think you need to re-evaluate life
in general if you are playing for over $20 for fun stacks.

OK, so a couple thoughts on how this hand played and why I generally disagree with trying to trap preflop:
-UTG leads for $9...a small open in this game by OP's standards. If we call, we are INVITING everybody to see a cheap flop with us. We are very likely to go multiway, and can only get bailed out by hoping somebody else 3 bets. When it does happen and we get to 4 bet, we may as well flip our cards face up.
-We will be playing against multiple opponents out of position with a wide range. Not a good place to be.
-If UTG has a pair, we are letting them set mine against us for a cheap price, and if they have QQ-TT or AK they will surely put a bunch more money in as a huge underdog. By just calling, we let them off the hook.
-Trapping surely does have it's situations. I just fail to see this is even close to optimal. This is a game full of bad players (obvioulsy)....no need to get fancy. In this game, you could probably NEVER...NOT EVEN ONCE trap and get the most value. Save that fancy play for when you are head's up against a tougher opponent.

This is all just why hero's preflop play is not good.

Last edited:
OK, so a couple thoughts on how this hand played and why I generally disagree with trying to trap preflop:
-UTG leads for $9...a small open in this game by OP's standards. If we call, we are INVITING everybody to see a cheap flop with us. We are very likely to go multiway, and can only get bailed out by hoping somebody else 3 bets.
-We will be playing against multiple opponents out of position with a wide range.
-If UTG has a big pair, we are letting them set mine against us for a cheap price, and if they have QQ-TT or AK they will surely put a bunch more money in
if i play this hand and go very passive as it went down, if I dont flop a set and the board is scary Im gonna dump it and say lessons learned.
Given you probably dont want to go to the flop 5 handed with KK every time
If it goes crazy just abort you lost 20 bucks live and learn
BUT, the way this hand played out and it was heads up on the flop I honestly love it
I felt like the other player maybe had 10/10 here but felt like he was trying to get a fold
the jam on the end with only 160 was cringe
maybe if it was 800 effective you get a turn fold but not getting 5:1 and opponent maybe only has A high flush draw
obviously opponent is welcome at any game given the way that mess went down
Id try to trap him way more often now but not super limpy pre flop

If it goes crazy just abort you lost 20 bucks live and learn
OK, last comment....you also lose all the equity you could have had if you played more aggressively.

You can say trapping here is +ev because you CAN flop a monster and get somebody to spew off every now and again (like what happens here).

I am arguing that the MOST ev is to play this hand for what it is....a premium that DOES NOT do as well multi way.

Also, please understand....this worked out in the short term. If you play this hand out 500 times this way, you will not do as well as if you played it as a 3 bet. And mixing it up really is not necessary against this level of play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom