1-2 game, River overbet, what do we do. (2 Viewers)

I don't think villain has KQss here. As I'm pretty sure that he be raising the turn. Feels like AJ.

I feel like “villain looks down at his hand” then shoves the river makes this KsQs. He had the straight, double checked to see if it was the straight flush and then overbet shoved.

And I think checking with KsQs on the turn is a fine play given that hero has been betting. No need to take the pot there. Let’s see if we can hit a card on the river that gives me all of a player’s chips. Like Js...

If Villain has KQss for the royal flush he played it badly on the turn. At that point he has the nut straight on a double flushing board. Yes he has the nut flush draw on one side but if either one comes in it could kill his action or cost him the pot. A board pairing card could also kill his action.

Hero bet flop and turn why not raise with the nuts here? Villain has a much better chance of getting his stack in on the river building the pot on the turn.

So while KQss is possible I would discount it a lot because of the way the hand was played.

I don’t disagree with your analysis. But it sounds like hero’s read on the villain is that he’s playing to trap. I think that kind of player will miss value betting a turn on the gamble a jackpot card hits the river and they get all the chips.

I feel like “villain looks down at his hand” then shoves the river makes this KsQs. He had the straight, double checked to see if it was the straight flush and then overbet shoved.

And I think checking with KsQs on the turn is a fine play given that hero has been betting. No need to take the pot there. Let’s see if we can hit a card on the river that gives me all of a player’s chips. Like Js...

If that is Villains thinking he is horrible at poker. Hero would call a raise for sure on the turn but could easily check fold the river if it is really bad. A bad river card could even stop Villain from betting and force him to go into showdown mode.

Villain should be raising the turn for value 100% of the time if he has KQss.

I think it's a lot more likely that Villain holds :ks::9s:, :ks::8s:, :qs::9s:, or :qs::8s: as him holding :ks::qs:, and thinks his flush is good. Hell, he may even have 33 for the under-boat, or just have a plain straight and is trying to get a small flush to fold -- no reason for him to suspect Hero has a JT boat here. Any AA or :as::js: holding is heavily discounted (no pre-flop raise), and :ks::qs: is just a cooler Villain has played badly.

Easy call, imo.

And now the results.....

We indeed snap called. My read was that he had QJ and was jamming with equity hoping for a fold.

However, we ran into the nutskys. The big kahuna. Le royale.

Looking back, I don't think there is any way I can fold, even with the overshove. There are just too many hands I beat that jam the spade river. Looking back, I think the only place I could have played the hand differently to get info is my turn bet. I bet 3/4 pot into a double flush draw board and a made straight board. I didn't gain any info on his call other than he called. He could still be on a 2-1 draw of some sort at that point or he could have a made hand with bottom set or be slow playing the straight. Any of the hands I could range him on would lose on the river though. I couldn't put him on AJ or AA though. There is no way he checks through that flop with top top on that wet of a board. At least I couldn't slow play that. The good news is we finished the day even after 2 more hours of play.

My biggest regret: I didn't have quad jacks and win $60k on the bad beat jackpot.

Villain is very lucky you filled up on the river. If you had a hand like :ac::9c: you definitely call a raise on the turn but fold on the river. He loses out on a lot of value not raising the turn the majority of the time. And the times you have a full house on the river you still pay him off.

I am not sure his check on the turn is a bad one necessarily. There is no way he reads me for 2 pair on the flop, however my betting the flop showed alot of strength and I may have turned 2 pair with AJ or even A10 and I am certainly going to continue betting with that hand. If he read me for something like QJ though, he should have realized that he wasn't going to get another dime out of me til the river.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom