WSOP Main Event ? (1 Viewer)

caught the dealer slipping.

Wait is this just an exposed card during the deal that will be become the burn card? Fairly normal to have that face up on the stub for a while so everyone is aware.

I do remember they had a turn card (under the burn) already face up in deck on one of the earlier days but that’s not this. Was surprised to hear that called a “boxed card” which I thought always meant a card that stays in the box like a joker or promotional card. But they called it for this.

Also maybe something everybody knows but if not, pro tip. Wait 24 minutes, rewind, and watch the stream at 1.25x. Or even wait 40 min and watch the stream at 1.5x. It helps the pace and reduces the time commitment a ton.

Wait is this just an exposed card during the deal that will be become the burn card? Fairly normal to have that face up on the stub for a while so everyone is aware.

I do remember they had a turn card (under the burn) already face up in deck on one of the earlier days but that’s not this. Was surprised to hear that called a “boxed card” which I thought always meant a card that stays in the box like a joker or promotional card. But they called it for this.
I knew it was called a boxed card, but I always thought that was one of the few things that would trigger a misdeal mid-hand. But that’s not what happened. And I was too lazy to look it up. Allen Kessler didn’t think it was right either.

Also maybe something everybody knows but if not, pro tip. Wait 24 minutes, rewind, and watch the stream at 1.25x. Or even wait 40 min and watch the stream at 1.5x. It helps the pace and reduces the time commitment a ton.
I often end up watching on a browser on a Amazon tablet (can’t find pokergo app in the Amazon store - dumb) and when I start trying to move the bar on the bottom to find my place, it’s a disaster. I know, cool story.
But eff pokergo for not having their app everywhere (can’t find it on my cheapass smart tv either) and eff Amazon for sucking.

I often end up watching on a browser on a Amazon tablet (can’t find pokergo app in the Amazon store - dumb) and when I start trying to move the bar on the bottom to find my place, it’s a disaster. I know, cool story.
But eff pokergo for not having their app everywhere (can’t find it on my cheapass smart tv either) and eff Amazon for sucking.
Xbox app been buggy for me for like 18 months

Kinda crazy

Damn, the guy with the pyramid already out. He could have made something quite beautiful.

Edit: Nate silver’s choice to mix there facing 1/3 pot on K445T with A2 was great. He rolled a fold and was against 87 but that’s such a good play

Last edited:
Damn, the guy with the pyramid already out. He could have made something quite beautiful.

Edit: Nate silver’s choice to mix there facing 1/3 pot on K445T with A2 was great. He rolled a fold and was against 87 but that’s such a good play
Nate seems like a great guy and I love his background. Fantastic command of numbers/probabilities.

Exposing a burn card is always bad form, no? And I thought it would be normal to have the card put into the burn pile on the table, not keep it face up on the top of the deck.

Exposing a burn card is always bad form, no? And I thought it would be normal to have the card put into the burn pile on the table, not keep it face up on the top of the deck.
Like if a card gets flipped up during the deal, the player gets the card that would have been the burn, the exposed card becomes the new burn. Isn’t the exposed card/ new burn usually exposed on top of the stub preflop? I don’t know official procedure but that seems fairly common.

Like if a card gets flipped up during the deal, the player gets the card that would have been the burn, the exposed card becomes the new burn. Isn’t the exposed card/ new burn usually exposed on top of the stub preflop? I don’t know official procedure but that seems fairly common.
Afaik the card mistakenly flipped is announced to the table, held up and then put face down in the burn pile. For a mistaken deal (an extra card) from WSOP:

If a dealer inadvertently deals an additional card prior to any action taking place, that card will be placed at the top of the stack and will be used as the burn card for the next round of dealing.

It doesn't say if the card should be placed facing up, which tbh seems wrong to me. Some players have the advantage of directly looking at that card, but her positioning isn't so that all players can see it with the same exposure.

Afaik the card mistakenly flipped is announced to the table, held up and then put face down in the burn pile. For a mistaken deal (an extra card) from WSOP:

If a dealer inadvertently deals an additional card prior to any action taking place, that card will be placed at the top of the stack and will be used as the burn card for the next round of dealing.

It doesn't say if the card should be placed facing up, which tbh seems wrong to me. Some players have the advantage of directly looking at that card, but her positioning isn't so that all players can see it with the same exposure.
Thats dealt, not shown. If its revealed I believe its a different procedure.

Gonna pick a couple people to root for each day.

Today are two short stacks:
Fausto Valdez (128th, 18bb) for chip pics. Fausto hates spots aligned in stacks, thinks they’re nitty. The nice thing is he calls them out to shame them. So if you, as I do, LIKE the aligned spots and pretty neat stacks, he’s worth a follow to get a steady stream of these beauties.

Nate Silver (109th, 26bb) for his off-the-felt analysis. He’s founder of 538, they have some decent stuff over there from sports to politics. And he’s quite easy to root for, comes off as a very skilled rec. Yesterday he bet a million on the river and after the hand chuckled at the insanity of how rare it is as a rec to bet a million at WSOP, certainly endearing

And what’s poker without a heel to root against?
How about Alec Torelli (78th, 45bb) for that silliness with the big chip behind stack routine from however many years ago. Seems like a good enough reason

Day 6!!

Silver :6c::6d:
Henry Chan :7d::7c:

Flop :7s::6s::2h:

Stacked, obv.

Silver still there just chilling lol. Sat back down after a while. Norman chad joking “security, please remove the analytics nerd”. Silver is a likeable dude.

Alright here we go subbing in two more root-fors

-Maurice Hawkins for that entrance -owes lots of backers, lots of people might finally get paid if he makes a deep run

-Obregon dunno if he’s good but he spells his name the fun way and he’s from Texas let’s go

I didn’t watch Days 1-3 so I guess I missed all thr “crazy” plays.

The parts I’ve seen of Days 4-6 strike me as 99.5% ABC poker. I’ve hardly seen a single creative play. Pretty dull stuff.

I knew it was called a boxed card, but I always thought that was one of the few things that would trigger a misdeal mid-hand. But that’s not what happened. And I was too lazy to look it up. Allen Kessler didn’t think it was right either.
If it appears face up in the deck it’s a “boxed card” and treated as any scrap of paper in the deck would be. Ignored.
It’s simply mucked and play and card order continues as if nothing was there.

Maurice Hawkins for that entrance -owes lots of backers, lots of people might finally get paid if he makes a deep run
From what I’ve read over the years, I’m gonna guess no. Now that I think about it, I can’t remember reading anything positive about that guy. Anybody have anything nice to say about Hawkins (aside that he’s really good at circuit tournaments?)

From what I’ve read over the years, I’m gonna guess no. Now that I think about it, I can’t remember reading anything positive about that guy. Anybody have anything nice to say about Hawkins (aside that he’s really good at circuit tournaments?)
Certainly entertaining. Im 18 min into the day 6 part 2 stream and he has already grabbed the all in triangle and threw it to a player and asked them “are you all in?” Lol

Just had a cold 4-bet with :ac::3c: what more do you want

Depending on stack sizes and positions that might not be so surprising.

Anyway, one hand is the exception that proves the rule… What I saw was surprisingly bland. Chips were only flying from shortstacks with no choice, or on coolers. But I didn’t watch every minute.

I sincerely miss the ESPN coverage and I really hate this 'free' content for a couple hours and then constant reminders to subscribe to their streaming platform to watch the rest of the action.

Hot garbage.

I sincerely miss the ESPN coverage and I really hate this 'free' content for a couple hours and then constant reminders to subscribe to their streaming platform to watch the rest of the action.

Hot garbage.
YouTube TV has their channel. Random ‘breaks’ in the middle of play is annoying but it’s better than nothing.

YouTube TV has their channel. Random ‘breaks’ in the middle of play is annoying but it’s better than nothing.
Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 11.51.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 11.51.41 AM.png

Day 7. I recognize only two names on the whole list. Yes they are all tired and tight and nitty.

But it’s the main event, the chips are pretty, the commentators are great, there’s $12.1M up top, they are playing basically $15,000 big blind poker 50bb deep.

I’m rooting for:
Big Mo (40th, 18bb)-completely out of line, but his chirping got the others to loosen a bit. He could really send someone off today. He threw someone an all in button which is psycho. He appointed himself floor when there was a question about small blind and threw the chip from someone’s stack to someone else’s stack. He had no idea he wasn’t the all-in player when he covered someone by like 3 million and did an excessive double up dance and song and lap. I love it all. Do it, big Mo.

I’m also going to go for chipleader Josh Payne (1st, 190bb) bc the sunglasses are cool. Can anyone PM me a link to buy a pair?

Also wouldn’t mind seeing Richard Ryder (4th, 90bb) last til the night shift to get more Ali “Dick Rider” comments. That’s funny. I’m immature.

The heels:
Torelli (6th, 84bb) again. Didn’t see him at all at the feature table so was impossible to root against. With that stack and so few tables left he’s a lock to be there at some point today.

The 2nd heel for me today, I’m pretty sure it was Taminini, but whoever has the damn circle beard if they are still in. That cannot be part of the WSOP 23 final table. It cannot be associated with poker. It needs to be eliminated.

Edit: yes it’s taminini and he’s still in and
17B40C33-1FDD-4F18-9054-7C6DE29165DC.jpeg

I’m shocked that Alec torelli is still in this tournament and I haven’t seen him once. Does the poker world hate him that much? Granted he’s a huge douche and that big chips behind incident was a bad look, but I can’t help thinking that Doug Polk’s hit piece was horribly effective. Don’t piss off Doug Polk.
Day 7. I recognize only two names on the whole list. Yes they are all tired and tight and nitty.

But it’s the main event, the chips are pretty, the commentators are great, there’s $12.1M up top, they are playing basically $15,000 big blind poker 50bb deep.

I’m rooting for:
Big Mo (40th, 18bb)-completely out of line, but his chirping got the others to loosen a bit. He could really send someone off today. He threw someone an all in button which is psycho. He appointed himself floor when there was a question about small blind and threw the chip from someone’s stack to someone else’s stack. He had no idea he wasn’t the all-in player when he covered someone by like 3 million and did an excessive double up dance and song and lap. I love it all. Do it, big Mo.

I’m also going to go for chipleader Josh Payne (1st, 190bb) bc the sunglasses are cool. Can anyone PM me a link to buy a pair?

Also wouldn’t mind seeing Richard Ryder (4th, 90bb) last til the night shift to get more Ali “Dick Rider” comments. That’s funny. I’m immature.

The heels:
Torelli (6th, 84bb) again. Didn’t see him at all at the feature table so was impossible to root against. With that stack and so few tables left he’s a lock to be there at some point today.

The 2nd heel for me today, I’m pretty sure it was Taminini, but whoever has the damn circle beard if they are still in. That cannot be part of the WSOP 23 final table. It cannot be associated with poker. It needs to be eliminated.

Edit: yes it’s taminini and he’s still in and

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom