Why are most racetracks made of laminated particleboard (or similar) rather than real wood? (1 Viewer)

JC117

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Almost all racetracks I have seen are made out of some sort of laminate and not real wood. Why is this? Durability? Weight? Price?

Thanks!

Personally, I think the better question to be asked is:

Why are most racetracks made?
I always assumed that racetracks originated as the lighted kind for TV, as it lit up the cards so they were easily read by the hole-cams.
Were there racetracks before the TV poker boom?

.... since most tables with them would have been better without them.
I agree and disagree. My heritage had always been racetrack. I liked being able to have chips off the playing surface without the need for a betting line. My oval has a betting line (no racetrack) and I’ve officially made the switch. Problem; my super ellipse is nearly done and I’m forced to figure out the best way to create a betting line. We’ll put it into service without a line and buying cloth with an oval line for an ellipse would have me on tilt forever.

.... since most tables with them would have been better without them.
Haha, good point. In terms of playability, yes. In terms of design, racetracks look gorgeous.

I think most racetracks look like plywood…because….
they’re made of plywood. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Haha, but the question is not why they look like plywood, but why is plywood used instead of real wood.

I agree and disagree. My heritage had always been racetrack. I liked being able to have chips off the playing surface without the need for a betting line. My oval has a betting line (no racetrack) and I’ve officially made the switch. Problem; my super ellipse is nearly done and I’m forced to figure out the best way to create a betting line. We’ll put it into service without a line and buying cloth with an oval line for an ellipse would have me on tilt forever.
If going with a custom felt, just have the desired 'racetrack' area printed differently (color, pattern, whatever) than the center area.

If buying off-the-shelf felt material, add the betting line after installation. Pretty easy to quick-build a jig that will draw a betting line 4" from the rail edge (or whatever distance desired) with a fabric pen.

If going with a custom felt, just have the desired 'racetrack' area printed differently (color, pattern, whatever) than the center area.

If buying off-the-shelf felt material, add the betting line after installation. Pretty easy to quick-build a jig that will draw a betting line 4" from the rail edge (or whatever distance desired) with a fabric pen.
Yeah, somewhere there’s a thread about adding a betting line. I have to dig it up. I have enough extra speed cloth where I can test it. It’s gotta look good right?

It will also need to be a wood laminate because 4x8 sheets are either plywood or particle, OSB, MDO, etc.
Birch or maple laminate plywood will stain and finish much better than any sanded plywood.

Cost 100%. The saying "they don't make em like they used to" is a direct impact of decreasing costs to increase margins while ramping up production. Cars weren't made mostly of steel in the 50s to 70s by choice. It was the tech at the time. They were rugged as a by product. Using polymers allowed for better mpg and ease of manufacturing. Same goes for the age of Ikea furniture, particle board and laminates. Oh well.

Plywood: $50
Cut oval hole, cut oval outside shape, stain, lacquer, done. Probably takes a couple hours total labor.

Wood: $250+
Plane to thickness
Joint edges
Glue up panels with 6 or more 4ft clamps
Sand
Then do all the steps from the plywood racetrack.
Takes several days if labor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom