When you let yourself down with a bad decision (1 Viewer)

Learn from the mistake. Do not repeat, at least try not to.

I was playing an MTT last night and made 2 mistakes which knocked me out early. Step back, replay the hands and decisions, evaluate and learn. If you're willing to learn from the mistake then you're ahead of the game.

I would never refer to calling as "making a move."
I wouldn't either. Maybe you misread or maybe it wasn't clear. I raised around 3 bb, making a move for the antes and blinds. Then he shoved and then I made my stupid call.

Hey I am no expert but in that situation, for me at least, thats a pretty easy fold. Unless I have a real good read on the player that shoved I am folding. Here's how I break that down.

1. All in has a solid pair. I am dominated.
2. All in has an Ace X. Likely I am dominated.
3. All in has a small pair. A flip only if his pair is 2, 3, or 4s. Otherwise dominated.
4. All in is semi bluffing with two decent cards. Something like 10 9. Then I am roughly a 55-45 favorite.
5. All in is really tilted and has garbage. Then I am something like a 65-35 favorite.

Given that I don't HAVE to shove then this scenario says fold. The BEST case I can be in is 65-35 and its much more likely that I am a flip or worse, dominated.

But the mere fact that you posted this tells me you already know that was the wrong place to shove. We all make goofs. Not even the best players in the world are fool proof. Oh and one last point. Being close to the money line is also critical here. I get the whole you play the game to win thing. And that's not wrong. But in a situation like this I would play it tighter with my chips to try and ease into the money then open up and try and build a bigger stack. Only having 20bbs is probably not the place to get real aggressive with A5.

Damn. I feel your pain. Same GD thing happened to me a few days ago.

Playing a online MTT, 109 entrants with late registration. I build up a massive chip stack compared to most of the field by playing a solid, patient TAG game. Picking my spots well, stealing blinds and antes, and only showing down very strong hands, not getting involved with too many marginal hands.

We get down to 28 players and I get moved to a table with the chip leader, his 43-46k to my 38k. At this point, I have something like 65BB IIRC, so I should be sitting pretty. Unfortunately, the chip leader is sitting to my left. Long story short, I raise, we get into a raising war and it all goes in on the flop. My set of 8's to his set of jacks. Of course I lost. I donkey away the second biggest chip stack, with a great shot at the final table, all because I got too cocky and didn't take the time to think the hand through. I didn't even CONSIDER, that fact that he might have a bigger set. I was so mad at myself. Played about 4 SnGs since, and have cashed in 3 of them so I guess I learned my lesson.

Rich hard to say without having been there and seen the action and betting. But the bottom line is that when you have a set post flop you are a massive favorite. Sometimes massive favorites lose. That doesn't mean you played the hand incorrectly.

Rich hard to say without having been there and seen the action and betting. But the bottom line is that when you have a set post flop you are a massive favorite. Sometimes massive favorites lose. That doesn't mean you played the hand incorrectly.

Thanks Steve. I feel like I could've let go of the hand and still given myself a chance to get ITM. Don't want to thread jack though so maybe I'll start a thread about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom