When doing custom labels, how are the different shapes made? (1 Viewer)

ngmcs8203

Flush
Reaction score
If I were to do a custom set of labels and wanted a variety of shapes other than just a circle, is the shape built into the artwork creating a faux alternate shape or is it physically cut into the label?

Depends on your target chip. Some have a round recess area with a round inlay, with or without a faux shaped inlay. Others have a shaped recess area which will require a shaped label.

Above concerns murdering. If you’re overlabeling, it might not matter since the shaped inlay may be flush with the entire round recess area and you can put a round label over it.

I hope this makes sense, I’m too lazy to search for examples.

Check out the examples on the photo below.

Genuine shaped inlays (the inlay is pressed into the chip while it's being made/pressed):
$5 PCA -- shaped inlay on a Paulson chip
$20 Dunes Baccarat -- shaped inlay on a Paulson chip
5-cent Condor Club -- shaped inlay

Faux shaped inlays, which are not inlays but labels applied after the chip has been molded:
25-cent PCA is a faux shaped-inlay label made by @Gear applied to a 50-cent PCA. Note the excellent color matching, and that the label fits perfectly within the round depression in the center.

5-cent Lady Luck Club is another label made by @Gear applied to a blank BCC chip. I included it because why not; it's another example of a custom label, and round is a shape. ;)

Not pictured: A chip that has been milled (i.e., murdered) in the desired shape, after which a laminated inlay is inserted into the newly created space. I know this has been done but don't have any examples in my stash.

20230717_023939.jpg

So with the faux one how was the color matched to the chip? If the chip is dye-subbed and the label is printed I have to imagine color matching the chip color is not easy.

So with the faux one how was the color matched to the chip? If the chip is dye-subbed and the label is printed I have to imagine color matching the chip color is not easy.
Only ceramic chips are dye-sub printed. With plastics and clays, the chip colors are part of the chip materials.

I have a similar question.
I want to relabel some Milano's (no budget for anything fancier unfortunately). I found a supplier for the labels here in Europe, same materials and process as Gear/Sticker Mule.
For just a tiny extra cost they can cut them to shape. Would this work for the Milano's, without there being a recess in that shape? Or would a shaped label only look good in a milled chip? Might even be more prone to coming off this way?

I have a similar question.
I want to relabel some Milano's (no budget for anything fancier unfortunately). I found a supplier for the labels here in Europe, same materials and process as Gear/Sticker Mule.
For just a tiny extra cost they can cut them to shape. Would this work for the Milano's, without there being a recess in that shape? Or would a shaped label only look good in a milled chip? Might even be more prone to coming off this way?
Unless it’s a shape milled clay chip (or a murdered clay chip with original shaped inlays) you need to have faux shaped inlays made and get the outer part of the label color matched to the chip.

Unless it’s a shape milled clay chip (or a murdered clay chip with original shaped inlays) you need to have faux shaped inlays made and get the outer part of the label color matched to the chip.
Thanks!
I see. I do have a CNC machine available, but shape milling Milano's might be taking it just a bit too far :)
Seems like I'll have to decide between a faux shaped or plain round labels then...

It's decided. Very much lacking the real estate to go faux-shaped (or any shape at all) and keep all of it readable.

I am not aware of any china clay chips ever having been milled for labels, shaped or otherwise.

China clays are manufactured with a center recessed area to accept a round adhesive-backed label (which can be printed with a faux shaped-inlay image).

I doubt milling Milanos or any other cc is even possible (not enough material in the center area to support the removal of any).

I am not aware of any china clay chips ever having been milled for labels, shaped or otherwise.

China clays are manufactured with a center recessed area to accept a round adhesive-backed label (which can be printed with a faux shaped-inlay image).

I doubt milling Milanos or any other cc is even possible (not enough material in the center area to support the removal of any).
That actually makes a lot of sense!

Yeah, I wasn’t suggesting you should mill China clay. Only that the only actual shaped inlays would be on a compression molded clay chip

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom