What was your second set you acquired? (2 Viewers)

Thank you! As a newbie, one thing I’m trying to figure out is storage. The chips can take up considerable amount of room. I’ve been thinking do I want a set to play with in addition to a set that’ll never get felted? It’s not whether not I need two more sets, but do I even have the room for them. Not to mention my wife is gonna asking some questions lol.

How do you store the oversized chips? Just different sized racks?
How often will you use them? My classics lasted over 15 years because they didn't get much play, unfortunately but fortunately. Still sharp. Having a rotation will keep them in better condition, longer.

How often will you use them? My classics lasted over 15 years because they didn't get much play, unfortunately but fortunately. Still sharp. Having a rotation will keep them in better condition, longer.
I’d like to host a game with friends and neighbors once a month or so. That’s actually a good point that I didn’t consider: having a rotation so the sets don’t wear down as fast.

So what you’re saying is have two sets to rotate, and buy a third one to keep mint…I see I see…

1st set - BRPro ceramics, my group loved them compared to plastic slugged chips
2nd set - Diamond Jacks, no one in the group really liked the chips. Makes me sad, but I love those chips.
Wow that surprises me. My group loved the DJ quite a bit, although I got a Paris set and they declared them the favourites immediately.

1st set - BRPro ceramics, my group loved them compared to plastic slugged chips
2nd set - Diamond Jacks, no one in the group really liked the chips. Makes me sad, but I love those chips.
I was going to buy some Diamond Jacks on eBay (they’re like the only Paulson sets on eBay). But I found the Jack cincy set instead. My kid’s name is Jack so I was looking for anything with his name (makes for a nice excuse when I tell my wife why I bought them).

I saw someone selling some DJ sample sets in Classifieds, might be worth a shot to see how they are.

Wow that surprises me. My group loved the DJ quite a bit, although I got a Paris set and they declared them the favourites immediately.
Can we trade groups?? They didn’t like the DJ mostly because they were dead mint and very hard to shuffle. They have gotten easier to shuffle but still have sharp edges. I think since the ceramics were easier to shuffle the group just prefers them currently. :(

My first real chips were Paulson hotstamped (monogrammed) solids, THCs, a 1,000-piece tourney set.

My second was a similarly-sized PCR (suits mold) cash set.

The latter cost about 3x the price of the former.

Both were good buys, in retrospect.

Mixed THC built around Outpost 5s.

Made this set a few months before the pandemic and was able to host a handful of games with them. They were butter. Let them go as I wasnt hosting games anymore and would love to have them back.

Pre-first (zeroth?): 11.5g AK slugged chips. I returned them the next day. Does that count?

First: Very light (3-4 g?) suits chips from Walgreens for a weekly post-colloquium game with grad students. At $0.10 each, I didn't have to be concerned about their wellbeing at the university. .

Second: Nexgen 8000 "Las Vegas" chips. 13.5 grams! The cost per gram was quite reasonable.

*** Then I discovered Chiptalk and the world of quality chips. I was doomed.

Third: My first proper clay chips -- Pharaoh's on the Paulson mold. No way would I pay a buck each or even more, but in late November 2006, 5stardeal.com put them on sale for $0.75 or $0.80 each. Ship it! They were back to regular price the next day.

It wasn't long before I was so far down the rabbit hole, resistance was futile.

1. Hybrid clay 100 dice chip set for 9.99 from target (2003)
2. Nickel, dimes, and quarters (2018)
3. Golden Nugget Las Vegas live $25 (2021-)
4. Indiana Grand primary (2022-2023)
5. 1998 Bellagio real (2022-)
6. 1998 Bellagio fake (2023)

IMG_0456.jpeg

1st set: dice chips

2nd set: Dunes china clay tournament set

3rd set: Horseshoe Cleveland primary cash chips

1st set was those six-stripe plastic chips that appeared in The Sopranos Executive Game episode
2nd set was a set of solid classic diamond "clay" chips

actually been thinking of buying another set of those from since i recall they had a really nice stack & feel to them

My second set was more of a big sample order from Dennis… 84 each of three denominations during the King’s Crown semi-custom hot stamp group buy. It could spread a freezeout STT game or a heads up match, but probably not much else.

1st was dice chips like most here. 2nd was a Claysmith The Mint cash and tourney set. 3rd I bought from Apache is a Penthouse tourney set. I just participated in my 1st Tina GB for a Cantina cash set. I also bought an Evansville cash set from TPR black Friday sale yesterday that I plan on leaving in my Vegas address so I don't need to travel with chips. My final set (famous last words) will be a combined cash to tourney custom set by Paulson. So the savings begins for that last and final set.

I posted my intro thread saying first set was sluggos (WSOP ~2005) and my second set was CPC (still waiting delivery). But I was wrong. Just found this set in my house I'd forgotten about. Was a gift from one of my players who didn't have a use for it. May keep it for giggles.
IMG_20231126_220148377.jpg

Super Extra Pure Mint, barrels still wrapped.
Oh, first ever chip pron shot!

I posted my intro thread saying first set was sluggos (WSOP ~2005) and my second set was CPC (still waiting delivery). But I was wrong. Just found this set in my house I'd forgotten about. Was a gift from one of my players who didn't have a use for it. May keep it for giggles.
View attachment 1230348
Super Extra Pure Mint, barrels still wrapped.
Oh, first ever chip pron shot!
I've got a bunch of these that I hadn't touched in years (probably 2 decades). I decided to shuffle a stack and was pleasantly surprised. They are so slick that they border on unusable, but it was a nice stroll down Amnesia Lane.

I haven't tried shuffling them while they are still wrapped. You'll have to let me know how that goes, if you try.

First set was a custom ASM set in 2002-3. Lead time was so long I bought a cheap diamond chip set to hold me over :D….oh forgot I got a 1000 of solid ASMs at a heavy discount because they were a couple months late on my custom order. Sold those last year.

My second set was a custom BR Pro in 2022. I count the customs my only sets but I technically have a three others….Scrolls and a metal slug suit set. Those were all bought for travel sets for cash and tourney play. I never use any of them accept for the customs

Last edited:
My second set was a hack and slash job, or more accurately a Vegas Strip custom relabel set. However, I did abandon the concept to get higher denoms ($100 and $500) I liked. The set has gown a bit since this pic was taken but I love it, and it gets regular play.

If I'd known ahead of time how much work it was going to be, I never would have done it. But I'm so glad I did!

20220616_123302.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom