What was the last year you had Dial-Up? (1 Viewer)

Blaster

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
.. I can't remember the exact year myself .. I do know when I moved to my current home in '97 I had dial up , not exactly sure when I dumped it...

Last edited:
Moved out from mom's (dial up) to apt (DSL) in dec 1998. Cablevision in 2002 and Fios ever since in 2005.

I had a free dial up connection for years. It was an old work number that just kept on going. Don't think we switched to dsl until 2004ish.

1997 when time warner brought roadrunner here I signed up immediately and have never looked back.

Long time. Switched to company-supplied VPN in 1995 or 1996. Converted the house in maybe 1997 to Earthlink. Been on Comcast cable at home since 2000 or so. Swapped out ATT at work for Comcast Business in 2008.

I have an old acoustic coupler lying around somewhere. :eek: Used to use it to connect to Bell Labs mainframe and play Adventure back in the day.

acoustic-coupler.jpg

Last edited:

We tried to switch a number of times but wanted to retain our current number because my mother is super-old and resists change (she still invites my ex-wife to thanksgiving even though my ex cannot tolerate my mother). However our back-water phone company would not comply.

The last straw was when the land-line stopped working. They sent out a repair guy who gave an estimate for repairs because a mouse probably gnawed through the wire.

Mom hasn't called a single time since, but for what we're saving I wish we cut the cord years ago.

Last edited:
Somewhere around 2000. Switched to cable (Rogers) and haven't looked back. At this point, I'd like to get fibre to the home, but I'm not holding my breath on getting it.

Feels like we have it right now. Max dl speed is 900Kb/s.

That's when it's not being throttled. :mad:

Switched to cable modem in '97 or '98 and never looked back.

A couple places I lived only had DSL available, but otherwise I've pretty much been Comcast's b**** for the last couple decades.

Feels like we have it right now. Max dl speed is 900Kb/s.

That's when it's not being throttled. :mad:

We will be in the same boat soon, as the president appointed an opponent to net neutrality to the head of the FCC. This will allow cable companies to throttle popular websites (unless they pay an extra fee) while reserving bandwidth for their own streaming sites.

...unfortunately, the US already lags behind the industrial world in internet speeds.

Last time I remember using dial up was the summer after my senior year of high school (2001) prior to leaving for college. It's been some variety of high(ish) speed internet since. My folks upgraded a few years later iirc.

Kind of a complicated question in my household. My dad worked for the phone company so in late 95, early 96 (I believe) we had test DSL at our house before it was officially offered in our area. It was subject to random, unannounced and sometimes lengthy outages as equipment was tested, reconfigured, etc so dial-up remained on the computers at home as a backup. Then in about 97 or 98 the household went DSL full time, however because my dad was an employee dial-up was included in the DSL package indefinitely after that. It was almost never used but technically they still had it. I'm not sure when that finally went away.

The last time I can really remember using it was probably about 2000 during a DSL outage. I moved out in 2003 and the DSL I ordered for my place did not offer any dial-up access.

On a related note, looking through my records I see that the last computer I ordered that came with a modem was in 2006.

Dial Up !!!

I can remember picking up the ph and asking the operator for a ceertain extension... 511 please... Then everyone else could listen in !!!

I moved out of my folks house in 2003 and got broadband as it is here a year later. Had 'fibre' at my current house for 5 years or so. Only fibre to the exchange though, then old copper cables to my house. D/L is about 25-35 mb depending on several, seemingly random factors.

That connecting to dial up /spectrum 48k loading noise will stay with me forever. I'm sure there's a more technical name or explanation for it.

Am I the only one still using 200k+ hours of free AOL? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

1999 - DSL
2004 - Cable
20?? - Google Fiber

...I have an old acoustic coupler lying around somewhere. :eek: Used to use it to connect to Bell Labs mainframe and play Adventure back in the day.

Aarrgghh, memories! Wrote a lot of code for Colossal Cave back in those same days...
:cool:

Dial-up from 300 baud days, circa 1982 (IBM luggable, Commodore 64 with potentiometer-set baud rate -- UGH!)

ADSL with DIGEX circa 1993, then T1 at home in 1995. Moved US Patent Office public databases to multiple T1 lines at the same time.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom