What Other Luxuries Can’t You Live Without? (3 Viewers)

Quality leather shoes. Once i realized a $300-$400 pair of dress shoes last 10x longer than a $100 pair I could never go back. Plus they look and feel way better and come in surprisingly casual styles and boots as well, I’m up to about a dozen pairs

But I'm interested in this house-cleaner idea. I might try to squeeze that into the budget. These 2 dogs and 2 cats don't vacuum after themselves!
Best trick I ever taught my pit bull was how to mop the tile floors at work.

I still have to sweep and make the mop water, though.

A873E0C9-5C8B-4B4C-A321-5C2DF088F7F4.gif
72365FA1-B4BC-4587-9BEE-0EDEFE9D4EDC.gif

I'm interested in this house-cleaner idea. I might try to squeeze that into the budget.

I didn't put them on my list, dunno why. Guess I take them for granted these days.

I don't know what rates are all over the country. But here in our part of FL, we've had the same small business doing our house for seven years now. Every other Thursday, three women descend on us for 90 minutes and do a great job, for $90.

I wouldn't do it, and them doing it frees up my wife (a workaholic who would do it) so that we can do other things.

I didn't put them on my list, dunno why. Guess I take them for granted these days.

I don't know what rates are all over the country. But here in our part of FL, we've had the same small business doing our house for seven years now. Every other Thursday, three women descend on us for 90 minutes and do a great job, for $90.

I wouldn't do it, and them doing it frees up my wife (a workaholic who would do it) so that we can do other things.

Omar ?? Sounds like the same group we have :tup:

If it takes one-and-a-half men one-and-a-half days to dig one-and-a-half holes, then how many holes could four men dig in five days?

If it takes one-and-a-half men one-and-a-half days to dig one-and-a-half holes, then how many holes could four men dig in five days?
One rollerskate, a half-eaten can of tuna fish, three yellow balloons, and a muskrat. Easy peasy.

My big 2 would be AC (I hate humidity) and the internet, though I guess both would be considered more modern conveniences nowadays, at least in the US . It's crazy to recall 25 years ago not having the vast wealth of information (and garbage lol) at your fingertips that's so widely available today - from online shopping to the very simple things like store hours and quick how-to videos on youtube.

My snobbish luxury would without question be a nice poker table. To me, a nice poker table 100% makes the experience in playing cards, the comfort level sets the tone for everything else. I don't mind playing on less every now and then (say for an outside cigars/camping game), but I don't think I'd continue playing if I had to give up my table.

While I enjoy nice luxuries like good bourbon, scotch and coffee, I would still very much enjoy life drinking Evan Williams and Folgers.

Have you ever tried playing tennis with four different rackets?
OK, sorry. I think I misunderstood. I thought you wanted four rackets so if you got together with friends you would have rackets for them to use. My mistake. I'm a barely recreational occasional tennis player. I own one racket that I've used for more than 15 years. Same for my wife. You're probably a highly competitive several times a week player. I'm sure there's a very good reason why one racket is not enough for you. No worries. Carry on! LOL.

Unless the half a man part is a trick, then mathematically, I believe the answer is 20.

Faulty premise -- you can't dig half a hole.
Sure you can. If a finished hole is 6 feet deep, then a 3 foot hole is half a hole. Yeah, I get it, it's still a hole, but it's not a finished hole. By your logic, one scoop of dirt removed is technically a hole.

Sure you can. If a finished hole is 6 feet deep, then a 3 foot hole is half a hole. Yeah, I get it, it's still a hole, but it's not a finished hole. By your logic, one scoop of dirt removed is technically a hole.

Ah, so now the question is finished holes -- not holes of a given depth, diameter, or volume.

See, we're all waiting for the catch. Frogzilla worked it out correctly:

1.5 men = 1.5 holes in 1.5 days ->1 man = 1 hole in 1.5 days -> 4 men = 4 holes in 1.5 days;
5 days/1.5 days = 3-1/3;
3-1/3 x 4 holes = 13-1/3 holes.

...but once you do that, you start to wonder about the 1/3 hole -- isn't that a hole, too? Or is the catch that they stop at the end of each day, so there are more unfinished holes? Or something tricky about days and half-days?

Especially coming from someone in a town named Humble... :cool

OK, sorry. I think I misunderstood. I thought you wanted four rackets so if you got together with friends you would have rackets for them to use. My mistake. I'm a barely recreational occasional tennis player. I own one racket that I've used for more than 15 years. Same for my wife. You're probably a highly competitive several times a week player. I'm sure there's a very good reason why one racket is not enough for you. No worries. Carry on! LOL.
No worries! I don't play tennis. Just being snarky. ;)

Faulty premise -- you can't dig half a hole.
My post was a modified version of a similar question posed by James F. Fixx in his 1978 classic, Solve It. (Okay, maybe not so classic.)

He gave a similar answer; that it is a trick question because there is no such thing as half a hole.

I didn't mean to derail the thread. It just popped in my head when I was calculating the hourly rate of members of your cleaning crew.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom