What is going on here? W/ sales (1 Viewer)

6SUpzDB.jpg

That was certainly a major turning point in how I viewed and was viewed by these forums. I was on a remote island in Fiji with no electricity when that sale happened. I was bummed out because I couldn't get anything from the sale. All the "good chips" sold to people with internet connections. I eventually got some $1s from TCR, but everything else I bought was from the secondary market and from people reselling their chips at marked up prices. But I didn't care. I knew I would miss out on the sale when I booked our vacation. I bought thousands and thousands of those chips from people. I don't recall exactly how many, somewhere around 10,000 chips or so, but I had by far the largest collection of them. Nearly all bought from the secondary market. Everyone flipped their chips to me. And yes, I took note of who they were. But again, that never bothered me. After I got all those chips, I cleaned them with my ultrasonic. It was my first time cleaning chips. I spent countless hours cleaning those things. But after I was done cleaning them and organizing my set, I realized that I just didn't like them very much. The $1s looked like they had all been sucked up by a lawnmower. So I decided to sell them.

That's when everything changed for me here. I listed them for sale in the classifieds and the entire community brought out their pitchforks, calling me a flipper. Nevermind the fact that I bought them all from actual flippers. I noted the fact that I was on an island in Fiji without electricity during the sale and didn't get them from TCR in every single listing I posted. But nobody cared. That or they just didn't believe me. Who knows. But everyone here showed their true colors when it happened. Again, I took note.

I continued to buy and sell chips like mad. I was the "crazy" guy before changster and windwalker were around who would just "overpay" for whatever I wanted. Whenever chips I wanted hit the auction block, people would roll their eyes when I outbid everyone. But I would later discover that I had extremely picky tastes when it came to chips. I realized that I didn't like a lot of them. I liked them individually, but I just couldn't make sets that I was truly happy with. So I bought and resold a ton of chips. Each time, for at least the first year or two here, I continued to resell for what I paid or less. In every listing, I would state what I paid for them and posted them for the same price, or sometimes less. I often could have sold them for more, but I didn't care. I didn't need money and wasn't here to fleece a few chippers out of a $20 bill. I was here for chips. But somehow, the pitchforks kept coming out. Everywhere I'd post, even outside the classifieds, I was followed around by the mean girls crew who would bash me for "flipping" chips despite never having actually done so. Over a hundred listings, each time I'd post their provenance of who I got them from and how much I paid. But it didn't matter. The pitchforks still followed. It got old really fast. Then the NAGBs happened lol. Good times. Again, I took note. But I never gave two shits about what someone else paid for their chips. I only cared what I was willing to pay for them. It never once bothered me if someone was profiting from a sale. That's just how markets work. Collectibles go up and down in value.

But my earlier experiences here definitely changed my outlook. If I buy chips today, I don't give two shits about what I paid for them anymore. They're worth whatever they're worth. I lost a ton of money on my Palais set, and they ended up going back to the same person I bought them from, for hundreds less per rack than I paid lol. The market on them had changed as a result of the NAGB chips coming out at the time. The person I bought them from was selling them before the NAGBs to raise funds for the NAGB, unbeknownst to me at the time. So I paid top market prices for them. Then, those NAGBs came out and the Palais plummeted in value. I ended up losing at least $1000 on that set after buying them from an NAGB member before the group buy and reselling them to that same person after the NAGBs came out. But that's just how markets work. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. That person wasn't trying to screw me over, and honestly, I doubt they've ever even put all the pieces together. But it's just a classic example of how markets change.

Today, if I'm selling my chips, I don't give two shits what I paid for them. They're worth whatever the market says they're worth. Up or down I don't care. Whenever I want chips, I always pay top market prices. The same goes for if I resell now. Whatever the market says they're worth. I don't play these bullshit games where the old timers try to control the market with their pitchforks. It never works anyhow. All it does is create divisions. I respect the market value of your collections, and I expect you do to the same with mine. If everyone here did the same, there'd sure be a lot fewer pitchforks lying around.

If I’m not mistaken, you could give more than two shits. I counted six shits to be exact...

1609909726480.gif

I don't know how much the mold can affect the look of specific colors, but I love how my DG Yellow Cali Rounders chips came out. Edge spot patterns and colors certainly affect the look of the chip though. I think these came out awesome! Some colors don't pair well with them, but the pinks, purples, and blues balance really well with the newer DG Yellows IMO.

I don't know how much the mold can affect the look of specific colors, but I love how my DG Yellow Cali Rounders chips came out. Edge spot patterns and colors certainly affect the look of the chip though. I think these came out awesome! Some colors don't pair well with them, but the pinks, purples, and blues balance really well with the newer DG Yellows IMO.

Your set and @Psypher1000 set are part of the reason I decided to buy another cpc color sample. Came out great

Are ASM colors really that vibrant or is just good lighting? I recall they were much duller compared to Paulson.

I seriously want a custom on scrown mold now. Phenomenal set.

These are CPCs, so a modern version of ASM. Some of the newer colors are vibrant. These pics are pretty accurate. The set really pops in person.
I really like how these came out and the yellow looks really good on these.

We had a discussion around CPC yellow in a different thread and I was using my photo as reference:
Yellows.png

I always see green in the Dayglo Yellow from CPC but @RainmanTrail is a magician and makes it work.

I really like how these came out and the yellow looks really good on these.

We had a discussion around CPC yellow in a different thread and I was using my photo as reference:
View attachment 608794

I always see green in the Dayglo Yellow from CPC but @RainmanTrail is a magician and makes it work.
Makes me think of the argument about whether tennis balls are yellow or green. DG yellow is tennis ball color IMO

What are the base colours on the 500 and 1k? Those would be a killer combo for a $1 and $5 in a cash set. Oh to have the funds...

I think we have a good mix of structure and network to enable people to get chips. I’d rather have what we have now and not some committee or report or whatever deciding what’s valuable and what’s not, and setting prices that then become contentious. I think the thrill of never knowing what’s going to show up or at what price or from who adds to the collecting/hunting part of this hobby.

The yellows work for CPC, even missing that vibrant pop. I think edge spots and colors matter more tho, since they can assist with how it comes off. This is just the base yellow, but I think the light edges with dark center spot give the yellow a better glow then using dark across the board or light across the board. Color theory and working with like colors to brighten and dull bases is super important when you have limited options...
IMG_20201206_162500.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom