What is going on here? W/ sales (5 Viewers)

Good point. this brings me thoughts on buying the PNY chips . Are they actually worth this :
$25 / $250 rack
$100 / $450 rack
$500 / $300 barrel

I’m a new chipper but this thread brings me some sort of concerns. I personally like the look of PNY’s but the prices are stupid expensive. And I’m most certainly sure these are not the prices they where once.
Primary $25s maybe $225 per rack, secondary $25s you should be able to find for ~$150 (or less)

Majority of PNY prices have been fairly steady for the last few years. You won't find chips in demand at their original bulk selling price.

Is this seller here?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Paulso...715987?hash=item1c652fcdd3:g:mtMAAOSw~oFXEFdi

idk, maybe these are worth the 15k he is asking. $15,000/1237 chips =$12.13/chip
hmm
price of my sample set just went up. I was thinking maybe $2 ea or $20 for all 10, but now I think I am going to have to reconsider

That listing has been around for a long time.. you can find thread(s) here.
if you want an eBay listing to have any relevance, you would need to look at sold items

Last edited:
I spent some time thinking through this comment, and similar ones from the last couple weeks. A comment from @Ben8257 comes to mind, though I can't be bothered to find it. Suffice to say, it was a similar sentiment, around a single individual changing market dynamics.

By the way, this isn't a defense or retort, it's more of an examination, and as such, some thoughts as a new hobbyist / collector of how I see things and pricing from my side. I had some time over the last couple days, and was able to pull together some statistics for this examination. What the data tells is an interesting story that might surprise you.

Let's start with some real data. For the purposes of this exercise, I'll limit the data to average price per chip in full sets that I have bought, as opposed to individual racks of a denomination I may have acquired. The one exception to this will be an analysis of what happened with the Bourbon $5s, and why it caused such a tizzy.

Outside of the numbers below, I have lots of other individual and partial set purchases, some which are in line with "market pricing", and others, which are not. An example of the latter is my cost per chip on the BTP $20 cash, which is north of $24 a chip. On the other hand, my cost per chip on the High Sierra $1000 mint chips is less than $8 a chip. In general, I think individual racks of purchases don't really skew purchases that much, and have to be taken in context.

View attachment 607707

Notice a few anomalies. It is ONLY in the case of chips that are either rare, or extremely contained in terms of ownership, that I *chose* to pay a premium to acquire them. Those chips were simply not going to move unless a similar price was paid, period. Maybe they could have been traded after a while, maybe someone would take pity on your long years as a chipper and do you a solid, but for the most part, the anomalies in pricing are within PCF, not outside of it, from people who had to get a fantastic offer in order to feel like they could let go of them.

You'll also notice that even in this shortlist, a significant number of my chips were acquired off-forum, and the prices are almost always better that way. Oh -- and I didn't include any sets that were ONLY acquired off-forum (like the Doc's) because that has no relevance on this thread, the OP, or pricing on PCF.

Here's where this data and perception don't compute: I fail to see a plausible argument that purchasing certain rare items at a premium by an individual could affect the entire pricing landscape of PCF. The RVCLs were simply not available, so it can't be counted; I might argue the same for the Lakeshores and Nevada Lodges. A more plausible explanation is one or more of the following:

- The hobby has reached a "tipping point" and demand far outweighs supply;
- There is a socio-economic disruption in the makeup of the hobbyist, with wealthier people entering the hobby than before;
- We are transitioning from just "hobby" to "collectibles" -- where the context of purchase and use have different motivations.

A note on the Bourbon $5s -- an individual had placed a WTB ad, offering $900 per rack for the chips. I was completely unaware of this, when I made a deal to buy a chipset on PCF for about 40% more. I subsequently found 12 additional racks off-forum, but needed to pay a heavy premium to extricate it, which I was OK with. I think the subsequent noise that ensued was frustration that people were willing to a) sell at stepper prices and b) people (me) were willing to buy at higher prices. Ultimately, people will sell at whatever price someone is willing to pay. For CERTAIN chipsets, I have been (and will continue to be) willing to pay more.

Like I said, this isn't a defense, or explanation. I wanted to examine perception of my own role in market dynamics against real facts.

By my math (thank you Excel)......... that's 34,500 chips at a cost of $319,385.50........ and $9.26/chip average.

And my wife got mad at me for the 1,500 HSI chips that I just bought for an average of about $1.25/chip....... lol...... :)

Recently acquired this set. Yep.........expensive, errrrr, fair market value, but I'm happy with it, so fuck it.

View attachment 608172
This post literally sums up what we should be taking from this thread, in my opinion: people should be allowed to pay whatever they want for chips, because if those chips bring joy and make them happy, then that's all that matters.

In my world there is always a shortage of chips and cash is still king. Try offering more money. I went to $30 a chip for a client wanting vivas. I had ran ads for months. When I went to $30 a chip I filled every order I needed in ONE day. People flooded my inbox every second.

You see cash really is king. You just have to know how to use it. Sitting in the bank is not the way and never will be.

“Trade only i don’t need the money” LMAO that is just a complete and total lie.
I agree with @JeepologyOffroad point about leverage and scarcity, but obviously everything has a price. Trades are also a way to obscure the value exchange.

1609876359051.jpeg

You are welcome...
Good thing you don't need to buy any $20's or $2.50's to build a set so whatever on those. I had sort of forgotten. All chips $25 & up have an RFID in there. Not a common feature in a home game set.....
Here is some PRON just to put a little positivity on this thread: The 2 $500's & close up of the RFID

Micro-dot =/= RFID

That's all....

Edit: been said already, so my point is moot :)

This thread makes me laugh. “Oh, prices 10 years ago were $1/chip.” “How can we protect newbs who don’t know what these chips are worth?” “If only @Windwalker didn’t drive all the prices up.” “I can’t believe people immediately flip the chips that Jim sells.”

In the meantime, people are paying $1000s for little disks that have little if any instrinsic value. You all could just as easily use dice chips.

The market is the market. Supply and demand. And that is one aspect of PCF. It’s not terribly complicated. And plenty of “non-market” deals happen between friends privately.
I remember when Bitcoin was $2 a coin ...... damn flippers!!!

I don't care what people buy or sell their chips for.

If the price is too high I won't buy. If its something I want and am willing to overpay for. Then sure. Gimme that rack!

But there is something that really grinds my gears......

If you buy a minty unused un oiled rack of chips. Then proceeded to douse them in oil.

PLEASE DO NOT LIST THEM FOR SALE AS MINTY.

Sorry for derail. (not sorry :))

I remember when Bitcoin was $2 a coin ...... damn flippers!!!

Just today I was remembering the journalist who bought some bitcoin to see if he could live off just crypto.

At the time I think he paid 1 bitcoin for a pizza....

EDIT:

Googled it. Was 9 years ago and he paid 40 Bitcoin for a pizza.

You are welcome...
Good thing you don't need to buy any $20's or $2.50's to build a set so whatever on those. I had sort of forgotten. All chips $25 & up have an RFID in there. Not a common feature in a home game set.....
Here is some PRON just to put a little positivity on this thread: The 2 $500's & close up of the RFID

Here is some more positivity pr0n..
1609879807365.png

By my math (thank you Excel)......... that's 34,500 chips at a cost of $319,385.50........ and $9.26/chip average.

And my wife got mad at me for the 1,500 HSI chips that I just bought for an average of about $1.25/chip....... lol...... :)
You made an excel sheet to find out? I don’t know whether to be creeped out, or impressed. :)

My other off-forum purchases take that average waaayyy down, but that’s my point — popular / “grail” chips are expensive, if you want to get a lot of them in a short amount of time. No because anyone is trying to screw anyone else — it’s just the price it took to shake them loose from someone who loved them.

IMO, that’s been happening behind the scenes for a long time, I just happen to be a lot more public about it.

I think you are missing the point lol

DywrZiB.gif

I think we all know the types of trade listings you are referring to. I still like to see trade listings personally. And if you really believe cash is king then that means that all those trade listings are actually for sale listings....

Trust me they are all for sale. Change your name to wind walker or chang and ask if they are for sale at a “money is not an object” nose bleed premium. You would own every chip in the trade section. Prove me wrong.

One guy has a listing right now “NFS” and “I don’t need the cash”.

Ya right. Go offer him $25 a chip for those HSI NFS and that PayPal address pop in your inbox so fast your head would spin. It’s total greed and it’s not my style. Never will be, it’s a big part of price hikers and flippers. Here fishy fishy u can’t have this unless..... U pay me THESE which are more everything. More rarer, More money and MORE PROFIT.

Trust me they are all for sale. Change your name to wind walker or chang and ask if they are for sale at a “money is not an object” nose bleed premium. You would own every chip in the trade section. Prove me wrong.

One guys has a listing right now “NFS” and “I don’t need the cash”.

Ya right. Go offer him $25 a chip for those HSI NFS and that PayPal address pop in your inbox so fast your head would spin. It’s total greed and it’s not my style. Never will be, it’s a big part of price hikers and flippers. Here fishy fishy u can’t have this unless..... U pay me THESE which are more everything. More rarer, More money and MORE PROFIT.
Again. I don't disagree with you lol

If I am going to write my bachelor thesis on market efficiency, I'm definitely going to use this thread (and Forum) /prices on Poker chips on PCF as my example :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom