What are you listening to? (9 Viewers)

Thank you for that! Never heard of him before.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

This is what I have going right now. Saw Maceo Parker open for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (many moons ago) and had no idea who he was at the time. I only wish I could get these computer speakers about twice as loud as they can go.

I just watched Phish cover the chilling thrilling sounds of the haunted house.....heard things I have not heard since I was 6yo. They covered it on Halloween for set 2 of a 3 set show
<br>

I've been listening to the self-titled San Fermin album. Takes a bit of getting used to, something of a grower, but the discordant female vocals on a couple of tracks really jar with me...
- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -The bull's face really reminds me of my dad!Something Lambchop-ian about this lot

those guys sound good, Toby. i hadn't heard them before, but definitely hear the lambchop sound in there somewhere.

i'm sure you've heard this guy, but for the benefit of everyone else, check out Josh Ritter. brilliant performer and equally fantastic songwriter. he's really popular in ireland, but he hasn't really caught on here in his american homeland beyond critical raves. i could post up half a dozen tracks, but i'll limit myself to two:

also been listening to Hayes Carll a lot lately. he can veer toward to the too purposefully self-aware slightly hipster country sound, but he can write a fucking song.

I've been re-discovering Pink Floyd lately, in particular The Wall. I had listened to it back in university days (90s) but never really "got" it, I guess.

Last week I stumbled across this Guitar World article on the 50 Greatest Guitar Solos of All Time, and I was pleasantly surprised to see David Gilmour's solo from "Comfortably Numb" at number 4. I've always loved his tone and technique, and that solo in particular.

OK Go is pretty great too. Those guys are so creative it makes me cry.

I've been re-discovering Pink Floyd lately, in particular The Wall. I had listened to it back in university days (90s) but never really "got" it, I guess.

Last week I stumbled across this Guitar World article on the 50 Greatest Guitar Solos of All Time, and I was pleasantly surprised to see David Gilmour's solo from "Comfortably Numb" at number 4. I've always loved his tone and technique, and that solo in particular.

OK Go is pretty great too. Those guys are so creative it makes me cry.

I believe his solo from Time on Darkside is on that list also(too lazy to look it up). The Comfortably Numb solo is fantastic but my favorite has always been the solo from Time. Pink Floyd has always been and will always be in heavy rotation for me. :)

Agreed. I still hear their influence constantly among progressive and experimental rock bands. Seeing them on their Dark Side tour is definitely on my top ten if-I-could-go-back-in-time concert stops.

My top 3 Floyd albums would be:

3) Animals
2) Meddle
1) DSOTM

It is really funny hearing a Gilmour solo in a bar from a crap local band in the middle of one of their "original" songs.

Those are my top 3 as well. DSOTM is at permanent number 1 and the other 2 rotate the other spots depending on mood. St Tropez is in my top 5 favorite Floyd songs just because it is so off beat for them.

Dad's only heard of 3 out of 12 artists who made the Mercury Prize shortlist, so I've vowed to familiatise myself with the full rosta.I'll report back if any are any cop...Floyd is a toughie. I grew up loving Animals, Wish You Were Here, DSOTM, The Wall. I never really took to thrir earlier material... As a complete package I guess DSOTM wins for me. Great album.

Hmm I'm having post formatting issues using Dolphin browser

Early material is very hit or miss. There are some gems like Astronomy Domine on Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun on A Saucerful of Secrets. There is a lot that is more miss for me.

Tommy's right that early stuff is hit or miss but I have a real soft spot for Piper just because it's so purely Syd. I actually heard solo Syd before Floyd because my uncles evidently wanted me to try acid at 4 years old.

There are a few songs on Piper that really stand out. I totally dismissed it after the first time I heard it. It wasn't until seeing some very early footage of Floyd shows that sold me on the few songs I like.

My top 3 Floyd albums would be:

3) Animals
2) Meddle
1) DSOTM

My favs as well. WYWH would round out my top 4 in no particular order. Can't even listen to the wall, maybe (definitely) over did it in elementary and middle school.....

not sure 'sup widst teh baby-bambi thing....but the first track off this live cd is nice by Galactic (oh crap..is THAT a f-ing mongoose? Is it a mongdeer? I wouldn't know...)

I just cancelled my XM-Sirius subscription for my truck the other day. Was only listening to 3 or 4 stations. Just not worth the $$. I tuned into the local radio channels now. Classic rock mostly.

For a long time Animals was very close to bumping DSOTM out of the #1 spot for me. In the end it is the beginning/ending with Pigs on the Wing that keep it out of the #1 spot. Dogs is an epic song and one of my faves from Floyd.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I think I will listen to Animals on my home from work in a little while here.

Last edited:
Dad's only heard of 3 out of 12 artists who made the Mercury Prize shortlist, so I've vowed to familiatise myself with the full rosta.I'll report back if any are any cop...

The only one I have on the list is the Royal Blood album. Still not sure about it - there are one or two goodish songs and a couple which should have 'the full rock band' treatment. All the songs are short (3 mins or so) but that is probably a good thing as the riffs are pretty ear-bludgeoning and not sure if I want to hear this for an hour or more. As with most music, I think they sound better live.

For a long time DSOTM/Meddle were 1 and 2 for me respectively, then animals unseated DSOTM for #1, which it held for a VERY long time. Now, Final Cut sits atop the pile.

As for the early stuff, I agree it is hit or miss, but Piper is pretty solid, and I just learned there is an early singles release that has a lot of my favorite early tracks:

Arnold Layne
See Emily Play
Paintbox <- should have been the a-side, I love this track

Saw them twice at foxboro on the momentary lapse tour. Though I prefer a more intimate small venue show in general, this was a GREAT show.

^Diggin' this and other Kongos songs on youtube...thanks for posting that!

I followed up Dredg with Franz Ferdinand - Tonight...Lucid Dreams is probably my favorite from that album...

The only one I have on the list is the Royal Blood album. Still not sure about it - there are one or two goodish songs and a couple which should have 'the full rock band' treatment. All the songs are short (3 mins or so) but that is probably a good thing as the riffs are pretty ear-bludgeoning and not sure if I want to hear this for an hour or more. As with most music, I think they sound better live.
Yeah, I'm not sold on much of it thus far. The Damon Albran is a weary, dreary affair. Kate wotsit's rhymes are quite good in a gritty/street way but musically it's not my kinda rap. It's probably been described as 'urban poetry' in at least a dozen publications.

The Jungle album is not bad. Bombay Bicycle Club sounds okay too, though not rocking my world.

I'm working my way A thru Z, so not got to Royal Blood yet.

i hadn't heard those guys, nick - they sound good. slide guitar and a singing drummer? and a split screen video? what's not to like?

Kate wotsit's rhymes are quite good in a gritty/street way but musically it's not my kinda rap. It's probably been described as 'urban poetry' in at least a dozen publications.

from this side of the pond it's hard to get a handle on how popular she is in the UK and whether whatever degree of popularity she has is a result of attempts by the mainstream music press to glom onto some kind of perceived authenticity. in any case, spoken word stuff has never really been my bag, but i dig her tracks that actually have a solid track underneath. both of the below do it for me:

There's a definite time and place for the Kate Tempest stuff but where and when that is I'm not sure... :)

I've not been tracking her popularity - or lack thereof - but her stuff is pretty gloomy. Prob the gospel if you're from 'da hood' or a council estate. Or routinely buy/take coke. Some great lyrical turns, nonetheless.

I'm quite liking the Nick Mulvey album First Mind from the Mercury crop.

jbutler and Toby, thanks for posting those clips.

My musical tastes usually are not the sort that usually receive a Mercury nomination so I don't listen to much on the list. Like jbutler, I don't really like spoken word/rap style (usually because they steal an old, good tune and manage to wreck it), however the music in the 2 Kate Tempest clips above sounds quite good - shame they couldn't have been instrumentals (for my taste). Not sure about the Nick Mulvey one; what I would call 'background music' - music that is on while I am doing something else.

If these two are indicative of the nominees, then I wonder how Royal Blood were even nominated as they are loud, heavy White Stripes/RATM/QotSA in style. I know they were touted as 'the future of rock' (an albatross if ever there was one) and had built up a word of mouth following before releasing the album, but, to me, the album is a once in a while listen rather than being in the rotation in the car.

My musical tastes usually are not the sort that usually receive a Mercury nomination so I don't listen to much on the list. Like jbutler, I don't really like spoken word/rap style (usually because they steal an old, good tune and manage to wreck it), however the music in the 2 Kate Tempest clips above sounds quite good - shame they couldn't have been instrumentals (for my taste).

i actually do like good hip hop. but i know that a lot of stuff kate tempest has out is purely spoken word with no underlying musical track and that stuff is nearly unlistenable to me. i'm sure it's not consciously intended, but it comes off as so pretentious imo.

If these two are indicative of the nominees, then I wonder how Royal Blood were even nominated as they are loud, heavy White Stripes/RATM/QotSA in style.

yeah they were definitely the token rock nomination. good shit, though.

I agree - the Mercury shortlist is pretty meh

I've reached Royal Blood now - that has a pulse at least!!!!

PH_50TH_COVER1-582x1024_zpsb14da1fc.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom