What’s the best way to visit Yosemite (1 Viewer)

Are you coming from LA or San Francisco?

120 should be open to get you into the park from SF. I’m headed up there in a couple weeks. Glacier point might be closed with the snow pack this year, but everything usually opens in May.

Are you coming from LA or San Francisco?

120 should be open to get you into the park from SF. I’m headed up there in a couple weeks. Glacier point might be closed with the snow pack this year, but everything usually opens in May.
Coming from San Fran.

I had hoped to leave via tioga road, up through Lee Vining and down route 395.

I noticed today that the snow is still going strong at Yosemite, so I don’t expect tioga road to be open when I’m there on 7th June.

That sucks, now I have to drive south down the highways and past Bakersfield.

Well, I'm not an expert LOL, but there are still two months to go, this can still change, probably not in April but rather in May or very early June. Let's cross fi gers for you :)

So now that the trip is locked in I want to figure out ahead of time the best hikes for us to so, given that our time in Yosemite is short.

I will be arriving at about 9-10am on the 7th June and leaving at about 6pm on the 8th. I may still play around with the hotels and try my best to get there at more like 7-8am if possible.

I figure I can arrive on the morning of the 7th and do the 12km Nevada falls round trip on day one.

Day 2 I was thinking of the upper Yosemite Falls and Yosemite point hike (I think @RainmanTrail recommended this one). I believe that will take 6-10 hours depending on whether we make it to Yosemite point.

I can then drive towards Vegas after we have finished that trail. I was hoping to go through Tioga Pass, but that doesn't look like its going to be open, so it's the California highways for me it seems.

Any opinions on whether this plan will be the best use of my short time?

@ovo
@Slick51o
@ekricket
@K ALL IN 9
@RainmanTrail

Lived in California my whole life. I can’t believe that I just took the family to Yosemite for the first time 2 years ago! Early June is a great time of year to go. Especially this year as there’s been a lot of rain and all of the falls should be spectacular! Will try and rack this old brain for some more info that may be of interest on your trip!

I would think, unless you are in good shape, that 2nd day hike, Yosemite falls, will be pretty tough, suggest you make it your day one hike, so you can judge how you feel on day two. And I would get there much earlier if possible. Traffic will get worse, going into the valley in the later morning. Drive up to glacier point for a great view. 4 mile hike, from the valley floor to glacier point is a killer, I found it harder than half dome, so stay away from that one.

I would think, unless you are in good shape, that 2nd day hike, Yosemite falls, will be pretty tough, suggest you make it your day one hike, so you can judge how you feel on day two. And I would get there much earlier if possible. Traffic will get worse, going into the valley in the later morning. Drive up to glacier point for a great view. 4 mile hike, from the valley floor to glacier point is a killer, I found it harder than half dome, so stay away from that one.
We do both go to the gym 3-5 days a week, so i hope we will be fine. We are total hiking rookies though.

We just did a 5km hike with some very steep rocky sections this weekend (my first ever proper hike lol) and that was a breeze. We also plan on doing some 10km ones for the next couple of weeks just to get used to walking a bit further.

I might take your advice and do the tougher one on the first day and also try to get in earlier on day one as well.

Reactions: ovo
Yeah I would get there earlier. I just got back from Groveland and electronic signs in Manteca were warning people parking in the Valley was full and to expect delays and it was around 10 am Saturday when I passed that.

I would say make sure you get in the Yosemite Falls hike. The river is on the higher side, at least for this time of year. I would also drive up to Glacier Point if the roads open, but you can hike up from the Valley Floor too

If you get a late start the first day I think the Vernal Falls hike is a little easier than Nevada Falls. I might be wrong though. Been a few years since I’ve actually done any of the hikes.

Good new is it that I t’s hot up there. I would be surprised if they haven’t started clearing 120, so it might be open for you.

Fishing was meh for the opener this year.

We do both go to the gym 3-5 days a week, so i hope we will be fine. We are total hiking rookies though.

You will be fine cardio wise but expect to hurt in places you didn’t know you had. Invest in good boots and smart wool socks. Break in the boots before long hikes if you can. I’m jealous and can’t wait to see your pics.

You will be fine cardio wise but expect to hurt in places you didn’t know you had. Invest in good boots and smart wool socks. Break in the boots before long hikes if you can. I’m jealous and can’t wait to see your pics.
Sound advice but I'm stupid and vain. My motto in life is fashion over function lol so I'll be wearing my trainers.

I will be getting some good socks though, I've heard that makes a difference.

Sound advice but I'm stupid and vain. My motto in life is fashion over function lol so I'll be wearing my trainers.

I will be getting some good socks though, I've heard that makes a difference.

If fashion is your thing the sky is the limit on boots. REI will gladly help you spend $300+. You can spend a lot less and get good quality though. Main thing for me with hiking boots is something to protect my toes from smashing on rocks, and lots of padding for the downhill part of the hike. Otherwise your feet will be bruised to hell. With socks I stay away from cotton. Hell, for all clothing stay away from cotton. It’s the fabric of blisters. Poly blends are great. Smart wool are my favorite brands but even the Walmart brand ones work really well. Thick is good.

Some good running shoes would work fine on those hikes, but make sure your boots are broken in

Would 8am be early enough to arrive? The wife isn't as keen on a 4am alarm as I am it seems.

Blisters can make your hike no fun, especially on Day 2. Socks are key as they said, and bring along a little duct tape. If you get a hot spot where it's rubbing (usually on your heel first), cover it with the duct tape before it becomes a blister and you'll have a much better time.

Would 8am be early enough to arrive? The wife isn't as keen on a 4am alarm as I am it seems.

Yeah. I think you probably have to get there before 9 to get parking on the Valley Floor.

I don't go to the park every year, but I do stay in the area a few times a year and it the electronic signs on the way usually warn the parking is full by mid morning and to expect delays. You will see the first one shortly after getting on 120 and driving through a town. When the road goes to a single lane and the orchards start the first sign should be on the right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom