What’s the best way to visit Yosemite (3 Viewers)

Perthmike

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I’m planning on visiting Yosemite in early June 2019, but from the looks of prices, I won’t be staying inside the National Park.

Where should I stay and should I be doing 2 full days inside.

From my research so far, good options are fish camp, el portal or Groveland. Am I correct in thinking I’d drive To Yosemite valley each morning, park the car and just go hike about?

I’ve heard the Falls and glacier point is one things that I should definitely do.

Any thoughts are appreciated, I’ve got no idea on this one lol

Oh and what about sequoia? Should I consider that instead of Yosemite. @BSteck and @slisk250 I believe you both mentioned this to me before as a great option.

Last edited:
If you go to San Francisco (from your other thread) Muir Redwood National Monument would be a must do addon. It’s pretty up close and personal with the redwoods. One little valley that was saved from loggers.

If you go to San Francisco (from your other thread) Muir Redwood National Monument would be a must do addon. It’s pretty up close and personal with the redwoods. One little valley that was saved from loggers.

FA8881AE-44C9-4797-A03E-ECCBE1C4BA83.jpeg

Interested in any tips potentially coming up in this thread.
I'd like to visit both Yosemite and Sequoia when I come in N Cal.

I stayed in a VRBO a few miles from the park and drove in everyday. Just plan on going as early in the day as possible and expect to hang out in traffic for a bit at the end of the day.

Yosemite Valley is a sight to behold. Although Sequoia has some cool sights, it is not Yosemite Valley.

There are a few stands of sequoia trees in Yosemite that I would recommend seeing.

As far as hikes. I recommend the Nevada falls hike. Lower Yosemite falls is short, basically paved and crowded. If you go to the upper falls it gets nicer and less crowded.

Glacier point is cool. rather strenuous hike from the valley, but a longish drive that subjects you to the traffic of the valley, and occasional lack of parking.

You should watch the movie "Free Solo" before you go.

As far as hikes. I recommend the Nevada falls hike. Lower Yosemite falls is short, basically paved and crowded. If you go to the upper falls it gets nicer and less crowded.

Glacier point is cool. rather strenuous hike from the valley, but a longish drive that subjects you to the traffic of the valley, and occasional lack of parking.

I’ve seen that movie. Alex honnold is a crazy mofo, it freaks me out even thinking about free soloing.

I spent a few years climbing pretty intensely, although more bouldering than sport climbing, so I’ve seen heaps of Yosemite videos, which is partly why I’d like to go visit.

I stayed at Oakhurst a few times, drive is about 45 min, do day hikes, etc... But the best way to visit Yosemite is on FOOT :)

For Yosemite, we’ve stayed at Cedar Lodge in El Portal and it was decently priced, comfortable and very close.
Just found this for $401 usd for 2 nights. I’m strongly considering it. It looks to only be a 30 minute drive to the valley.

Our local film society showed Free Solo a couple of weeks ago. It’s mind-boggling. Highly, highly recommended. The DVD will be released in March, and my order is in already.

I’ve done a lot of rock, mostly on belay, a few relatively small climbs with local protection — but I can’t even conceive of the kind of focus that allows an individual to attempt something like El Cap.

I don’t recall if that was where I stayed... but I entered the park through el portal. Definitely plan to enter the park when it opens. This will allow you to beat the crowds. Park your car and enjoy.

I went about 10 years ago, and I think the crowds have gotten worse since then. We didn't encounter much traffic then. We stayed somewhere just outside the park and drove in. The valley is incredible. We had small kids with us and just did the short and easy hikes with them. I'd love to go back and do more of the trails.

If you do Muir woods, parking is by reservation only.

I’d avoid all that and book with a tour company. Pick you up in SF and drop/pickup at entrance and return to SF. Takes you across the bridge. Eliminates the hassle of driving and parking and lets you concentrate on the important stuff, plus keeps you in a good mood.

You can stay outside the park, but unless you're on a tight budget, you might wish you hadn't. Traffic getting to and from the parking lots can be pretty bad. Sometimes you can sit for an hour just trying to go half a mile. It can be extremely frustrating. Especially that time of year. Once you're in the valley, they have a nice shuttle system that can take you to the trail heads of all the best hikes. You may want to spend more than 2 days there though. Yosemite falls is a must, so is glacier point. You also may want to check out the "hike" (some would call it a climb) up to the top of half-dome, which I've yet to do, but many consider it the highlight of their trip when visiting. Oh, and bring some bear spray.

Have a great trip. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Ok thanks for all of the tips guys. I think I’m liking the look of cedar lodge. I’d like to stay in the park, but I booked this trip without really considering the full cost, and recently extended it by another 4 nights, so it’s now a total of 4 weeks lol. For that reason I have to be sensible with the hotel costs.

I do have a question about driving to Vegas from Yosemite. Google maps is useless and suggests you take the CA-41 and go through Bakersfield, which is a 10 hour drive.

It seems to me that it would be much easier using tioga road, through to lee vining and then drive through or past Death Valley national Park. Is this route possible in early June.

Also, does anyone have any tips for the best company to arrange car rental? I will need to pick a car up from Vegas early on the 4th and drop it of in LA on 12th. So I don’t know if some company’s charge less for one way rental fees.

Last edited:
+1 on Muir if you’re in the area. The walking trails are gorgeous and the redwoods are amazing, and it doesn’t take a whole day to do it, so you can still plan some evening activities on the same day.

I’ve decided that I basically want to avoid LA almost entirely, so I will now be going to San Fran, but I’ll be arriving on the evening of the 4th June and leaving on the morning of the 6th to head to Yosemite, so there’s no way I’d have time to get to Muir as well.

I’ve decided that I basically want to avoid LA almost entirely, so I will now be going to San Fran, but I’ll be arriving on the evening of the 4th June and leaving on the morning of the 6th to head to Yosemite, so there’s no way I’d have time to get to Muir as well.

If you are heading from SF, Groveland is a bit closer. There are places past Grovelaned closer to the Park off Highway 120.

You might be getting weird direction to Vegas with google maps right now because some of the passes are closed until May due to snow.

@RainmanTrail mentioned traffic that time of year. If you are staying outside the park, just leave really early in the morning, avoid the traffic, find your spot to park, it's worth it. Leaving in the afternoon will be more difficult with traffic, but remember where you are. Also, hike to a high point in the park, the view is worth it. I've been up on Half Dome, El Cap, two great views, also Glacier Point, but the hike from the valley floor to Glacier Point is brutal, worse than Half Dome.

Thanks for the additional info.

I thought about what @RainmanTrail said and I looked into accomodation inside the park. I’ve seen some reasonable rates for the cabins and canvas tent cabins at half dome village. Im thinking it might be the best thing to do.

Am I correct in thinking that from there i should be able to do all the hikes etc from there, either walking direct or using the shuttle?

I notice bikes can be hired and that there are bus tours also.

Thanks for the additional info.

I thought about what @RainmanTrail said and I looked into accomodation inside the park. I’ve seen some reasonable rates for the cabins and canvas tent cabins at half dome village. Im thinking it might be the best thing to do.

Am I correct in thinking that from there i should be able to do all the hikes etc from there, either walking direct or using the shuttle?

I notice bikes can be hired and that there are bus tours also.

I haven't stayed there, so I'm not certain, but I believe the shuttle system does go through there. Here's a link to the public transportation systems available in the park.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/publictransportation.htm

Also, it may be difficult to find answers to some of your questions right now as our president has decided to shut down the government, including the national park system, until he gets his way (which isn't going to happen). Hopefully it doesn't last until summer, but who knows.

Avoiding LA ? :eek:
Seriously?

Avoiding LA ? :eek:
Seriously?
I never hear great things about LA.

I’m going to spend the afternoon there after picking up the wife from LAX and do magic mountain the second day.

I feel like I’m going to prefer San Fran.

I never hear great things about LA.

I’m going to spend the afternoon there after picking up the wife from LAX and do magic mountain the second day.

I feel like I’m going to prefer San Fran.

Driving in LA by night is so geat with those infinite streets (for instance, Santa Monica Blvd),
Rainbow Bar & Grill, Hollywood Blvd, Griffith Park, Santa Monica Pier, and more
There's no way I don't stay at least 3 nights in LA for my next trip :cool:

IMG_0297 samusumg S8+ 01.jpg

IMG_0297 samusumg S8+ 05.jpg

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

a famous movie of 1994 has a scene at this place, can you guess which ?

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

Have a great trip !!

I noticed today that the snow is still going strong at Yosemite, so I don’t expect tioga road to be open when I’m there on 7th June.

That sucks, now I have to drive south down the highways and past Bakersfield.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom