Best Way to Identify Positive/Negative Interactions (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrieJ3

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
We completely lost the thread on discussing the classifieds/flipping.

In that, I think we lost some really helpful and important information/feedback.

At the end of the day, it appears that most chippers accept the fact that not everyone will agree on exact definitions and that there is more gray than white and black when it comes to PCF, community, and classifieds.

I personally wrote it up along the lines of both PCF and member interactions varying from member to member, both are unique in experience and expectations.

This is all to say say, I think that there *should* be a way to simply deposit some type of “not in good taste” sentiment - without attacking or emotion. And that seems to be what that thread was turning towards.

I don’t PM, I’m not in a ton external group texts, etc. PCF feedback system is meaningless for anything other than highlighting drag em out fights.

Due to this, I’ve now sold several times to chippers I wouldn’t have otherwise. I post, they dibs, and then I start getting the PMs and Texts detailing their private shenanigans.

Even if member engineered, is there a way to attempt to curb or solve this? Or is this, like trying to have everyone agree on a term, futile?

It could simply be a thread with rules in place - list chips, username, offer, and objective summary sentence without emotion that details why you found it distasteful.

Or maybe it’s not that deep. This is probably too late I suppose, as it seems most everyone has moved to only selling friendly pricing to real life friends, and fmv to the remaining community.

If so, maybe that was always a natural evolution of a growing memberbase. Too bad we as members and admins didn’t get ahead of it before it was too late though.

Any helpful thoughts on how member interaction information could be gathered and shared while somehow not delving into mud slinging fights? (Like objectively, my profile would obviously include historical shipping issues, but would also include plenty of positive and other notes)

Happy Easter, Benarrie book courtesy of me sitting in traffic as a passenger

We completely lost the thread on discussing the classifieds/flipping.

In that, I think we lost some really helpful and important information/feedback.

At the end of the day, it appears that most chippers accept the fact that not everyone will agree on exact definitions and that there is more gray than white and black when it comes to PCF, community, and classifieds.

I personally wrote it up along the lines of both PCF and member interactions varying from member to member, both are unique in experience and expectations.

This is all to say say, I think that there *should* be a way to simply deposit some type of “not in good taste” sentiment - without attacking or emotion. And that seems to be what that thread was turning towards.

I don’t PM, I’m not in a ton external group texts, etc. PCF feedback system is meaningless for anything other than highlighting drag em out fights.

Due to this, I’ve now sold several times to chippers I wouldn’t have otherwise. I post, they dibs, and then I start getting the PMs and Texts detailing their private shenanigans.

Even if member engineered, is there a way to attempt to curb or solve this? Or is this, like trying to have everyone agree on a term, futile?

It could simply be a thread with rules in place - list chips, username, offer, and objective summary sentence without emotion that details why you found it distasteful.

Or maybe it’s not that deep. This is probably too late I suppose, as it seems most everyone has moved to only selling friendly pricing to real life friends, and fmv to the remaining community.

If so, maybe that was always a natural evolution of a growing memberbase. Too bad we as members and admins didn’t get ahead of it before it was too late though.

Any helpful thoughts on how member interaction information could be gathered and shared while somehow not delving into mud slinging fights? (Like objectively, my profile would obviously include historical shipping issues, but would also include plenty of positive and other notes)

Happy Easter, Benarrie book courtesy of me sitting in traffic as a passenger
I thought the most helpful of all of this was the links to the original selling thread and the initial price on the flipper ad, so members could see what exactly the seller was doing. No name calling. No emotion. All facts.

Mustard modding was inevitable (and warranted), but I’m disappointed with the decision to delete the other classifieds/flipping discussion thread.
Yeah, discussion for an entire other thread.

If this forum is growing to the point where the identity is changing and overarching group of members (or at least most publicly vocal) are disagree over the direction, then moderation needs to be less “This is so and so’s forum and we will do what we want” and more so “Here are clear rules that are maintained site and user wide”.

Why would I as a member continue to post thoughtful and meaningful recourse in a thread filled with some members nonsense, if moderation is too lazy to remove and punish specific interactions in favor of thread wide deletion?

Perhaps that would take new/more moderators, perhaps that would take increased member dues, etc. So maybe people would rather everything stay as is, but aside from my personal issues with our site administration and moderation, I think there is a large, objective issue - and maybe the current moderation is just a symptom of the real issue (more members, information to moderate, and volunteer positions).

Last edited:
LiBarrie cards.
Actually, this is brilliant. This is beyond brilliant. Because unlike just tagging previous sale threads, this would solve for all the private shenanigans.

LiBarrie card not included in rack sale? Why? Within just a year, it would be a red flag for any rack to not include a LiBarrie card, unless obviously the owner has had the chips for awhile.

Literally, legitimately, this would solve everything.

Alternatively, remember when I posted on every thread what I sold and for what price, even when conducted publicly? Pretty easy to maintain that. Could even simply be, oh I sold someone something privately? Create off topic thread that includes chips and member name and cost. The downside of this is many members prefer to be kept private and have it not be known that they own said chips.

In which case, again, LiBarrie card solves that as well.

Thank you @RocAFella1 for the helpful thought. Everyone else please discuss! If this is a potential solution, I will be more than happy to ship custom cards out to all members who could utilize some.

I was very surprised to see that thread disappear. I thought it was completely civil, unless I missed newer posts.
Yes, it became uncivil. I posted some inappropriate comments after I realized the OP had reached out to me in his scamming ways. I let my emotions get the better of me and acted inappropriately. I want to openly apologize to the community, I really do try to behave better than that, most days I do, this morning I didn't.

The bottom line is that this is not a free speech area. This is Tommy's world and we're just living in it.

Tommy wants PCF to be a curated list of information available to be shared or spoken about - sometimes it's for legal reasons, and in the case of classifieds it's so that he builds the go-to spot for high end chip trading where buyers can find rarer playable sets, and where sellers can get top dollar for their wares. If people are allowed to "thread crap" (a lose term these days) then it drives people to other avenues that are not PCF.

It's all about money, baby. The community aspect is secondary.

The bottom line is that this is not a free speech area. This is Tommy's world and we're just living in it.
I think this can be taken as a semi objective statement and has been literally corroborated from our Admin/Mod team.

From their standpoint, I can imagine it has grown more difficult in recent times. Do I think it’s fair to nuke threads or to engage with a member as an Admin in a sales thread and edit my comments while the responding member cannot? No, and it’s both disingenuous and an abuse of power imo. I have receipts.

That being said, they have a vision for what this is and are trying to maintain that. Even if I disagree, I think that’s fair.

Perhaps a solution is to have an area that is not public, similar to politics? Same thing- objective evidence, non mud slinging, simply sharing fact based positive/non positive member interaction? Maybe something like this would require too much moderation as it’s the internet and we are PCFers. Maybe it’s enough to lock it down to opt in only and have its own Sub-Admin group? The HoF Admins showed amazing input and care despite also being volunteer folks. I can think of many that could fulfill the role.

Tommy wants PCF to be a curated list of information available to be shared or spoken about - sometimes it's for legal reasons, and in the case of classifieds it's so that he builds the go-to spot for high end chip trading where buyers can find rarer playable sets, and where sellers can get top dollar for their wares. If people are allowed to "thread crap" (a lose term these days) then it drives people to other avenues that are not PCF.

I think allowing this blatant of flipping without allowing other members to speak up will have the complete opposite effect on the classified, where sellers will go underground to sell stuff in private, and flippers will try to move their wares other places.

It's not blatant when all conversation and evidence of it is repeatedly deleted. I tried to raise a flag about this for the recent buyer of the Mardi Gras set when he did it last week, and all evidence was removed.

Because of all this I'm not renewing my supporting member tier. My regular, non-impression ad views will have to be all that's taken. I've been chipping for 17 years and what I'm seeing lately is the domino that's going to start my exit from this hobby.

B6E179D5-C3E2-4C45-8568-9157AACF4C30.gif

I think allowing this blatant of flipping without allowing other members to speak up will have the complete opposite effect on the classified, where sellers will go underground to sell stuff in private, and flippers will try to move their wares other places.
It's not blatant when all conversation and evidence of it is repeatedly deleted. I tried to raise a flag about this for the recent buyer of the Mardi Gras set when he did it last week, and all evidence was removed.

Because of all this I'm not renewing my supporting member tier. My regular, non-impression ad views will have to be all that's taken. I've been chipping for 17 years and what I'm seeing lately is the domino that's going to start my exit from this hobby.
Solution?
B4FE6159-9DD7-4CD0-9CAA-829640EF4D63.gif

LiBarrie cards.

This right here goes against the very reason this forum exists, to teach and mentor newer buyers on the hobby and advise them when a deal is bad. If you can't warn newer chip collectors on bad deals, this community ceases to exist.

The thumbs down emoji would’ve gone a long way. 39 thumbs down emojis? Must be a terrible deal.
1000%. I think this was a great solution, but I can see why it’s not allowed as well by the PCF team.

Hence why we’re looking for community engineered solutions as I don’t think we can come up with something and say hey team, can you do this for us?

Y’all just need to step up your passive aggressive gif and emote game. Maybe take a bigger dump on unwarranted thread fluffing.

An actual serious note would be to help show newbies the way instead of always instantly gatekeeping and trashing them for every minor thing. More of a general statement there though (nothing to do with the mustard man).

If longtime and respected members on this forum can't warn newer buyers that a seller is not acting in good faith, then what is this forum for?

If the flipper still wants to continue after being outed for this, then so be it, but it goes both ways. I have no problem with flippers, but I also have no problem with members warning potential buyers.

Again. No name calling, no emotion, just simple facts.

I don't do much selling but the advice I've received from longtime members on CPC creations, table and poker recs, and other poker related stuff has been fantastic.

Members can sell their property for whatever price they want. You may not like that, but you don't get to tell someone what to sell their stuff for. There are better ways to educate buyers that doesn't include reprimanding sellers with profanity and vulgar images.

Mustard modding was inevitable (and warranted), but I’m disappointed with the decision to delete the other classifieds/flipping discussion thread.

Yeah I think that’s over the line

It is a shame it was nuked. That thread has been around for a few years we never had any issues with until the last 24-48 when the peaceful protests in that thread spilled over to a full out riot in member sale threads, member's creating fake ads, and the outright disregard for the Community Guidelines. The way some members were acting toward other members was outrageous. I seriously would like to see how members would act face to face IRL vs being drama creating keyboard warriors. Then, when you try to have a respectful private conversation with certain members, they start acting like children and doing things out of spite.

Not for me. I don't make a dime off PCF. And I don't feel the need to have go into all the ways I give the money back to the community either.

There is a no thread crapping rule. That is why the thread crapping is deleted. This is not some undercover secret mission we are on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom