Visible Stopwatch/timer/something for 30 second play clock at home Tournament.. Ideas? (1 Viewer)

Taxi500

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
As the LONG title suggests: I don't know how to describe what I'm looking for well but I wanted some visible timer so that a designated player at each of the 3 tables for the home tournament would be able to reset a 30 second timer each time a new player is up. We had problems last game with guys tanking too long.

OR if any of you have a different solution to the problem of over-tankers I'm all ears. The goal here is to give guys 3 time cards but have normal play be a 30 second decision limit. Thanks!

what an ass beat, to reset a timer after every action by a player

Just make it easy, one clock on the wall with seconds hand, so everyone can see it, make 1 table captain per table and wait till someone ask for a clock on a player and at that time start your 30 seconds.

before the tournament tell all players, this is a speed tournament, 30 seconds is the standard time for a player to declare his/her actions.

As the LONG title suggests: I don't know how to describe what I'm looking for well but I wanted some visible timer so that a designated player at each of the 3 tables for the home tournament would be able to reset a 30 second timer each time a new player is up. We had problems last game with guys tanking too long.

OR if any of you have a different solution to the problem of over-tankers I'm all ears. The goal here is to give guys 3 time cards but have normal play be a 30 second decision limit. Thanks!
Honestly talk to those guys, no way am I playing in a regular home game where someone has to press a button every single action that's taken. That's bananas. You're throwing out the baby wit the bathwater.

Talk to the dragasses. If you really need to institute some sort of clock I like @RowlettTexasChipGuy , someone calls clock and points to an actual wall clock. Just call the 30 seconds a house rule and only really point to the clock when the icemen are up.

Edit: and yes, didn't realize till I got a notification, that's an insanely long title, damnit.

Is it a self dealt game?

This reminds me of the stupid new MLB pitch timer. It’s distracting as hell when I’m watching a game…I think one at the poker table would be even worse!

Poker go studio has an iPad beside the dealer. Every time someone is up they push a digital clock. It’s amazing. Makes tournament poker so much faster. “Action clocks”. Every decision is 30 seconds or less. And since everyone can see the dealer doing it, everyone acts quicker. It’s so refreshing to play a tournament faster.

WPT does it on day 2 events I believe. Or when it’s close to ITM day 1.

At a home game? I’d call clock on everyone to get them to speed the fuck up.

Anyone at the table can call the clock. At that point it's a goup ten second count for the lagging player to get to the table and make a play. It usually takes like 30 or 40 seconds before someone says something. That's why we count ten when the clock is called. It's casual and normally is called if someone is in the kitchen snacking or on the phone. Most cases we just hear "FOLD" from the other room. If they can't be found, like they are outside smoking or whatever, we count it, fold em, move on. No one complains.

Poker go studio has an iPad beside the dealer. Every time someone is up they push a digital clock. It’s amazing. Makes tournament poker so much faster. “Action clocks”. Every decision is 30 seconds or less. And since everyone can see the dealer doing it, everyone acts quicker. It’s so refreshing to play a tournament faster.

WPT does it on day 2 events I believe. Or when it’s close to ITM day 1.

At a home game? I’d call clock on everyone to get them to speed the fuck up.
I think they do the same thing at HCL.

DTD implemented a shot clock years ago and I was for the idea but hated the execution as a dealer. We had an ipad with a bit of software someone hacked together that would reset a 20/30 second timer every time you touched the right part of the screen, touching the left either paused it or enabled timebank card which was 60s (something along those lines).

Anyway we all eventually got used to it, even though it greatly increased the mechanical actions a dealer makes per hand which is not good IMO, but it's really good for those weekday bowl comps with the usual rocks at the table. Over time the games sped up in general and everyone got more hands per hour without too many negative drawbacks for the players.

Rambling aside it seems a bit much for a home game but I don't know your specific situation, so I'd suggest a phone or tablet leaning on the rail by the dealer that can be reset/paused with one touch. I'd also suggest lots of snacks & drinks for those dealers!

they needed it yesterday for the high roller plo final table. so difficult to watch with the tanking on every street
Its lost all luster. I know we were spoiled in the early days with the crazy cash games and tournaments on ESPN, but now its horribly boring. Used to be something I'd be proud to show people and talk about the strategies being applied. Nowadays? No way.

"Yeah so, he knows he's gonna fold but he's gonna sit on his hands for 27.5 seconds so that next time when he needs 24 seconds to think he can do so optimally, its balanced. Really great strategic pausing each hand."

That sucks that you got a couple of guys like that at a home game. I'd ridicule those pompous asses to no end. If it takes that long to make a decision in a home game then the stakes or wrong or as it sounds here some folks are just being douche canoes. Belittle those mother fuckers every time it happens until they speed up their play to an acceptable level. Shame a couple of folks pretending to think hard are ruining everyone else's playing enjoyment.

First of all: Thanks for the replies! It seems a bit much but I really like the idea of getting the sands of time and just flipping it when a guy's taking too long...

This isn't a reoccurring thing and I do think it's genuine thinking but in tournament play with 20ish minute blind levels it's impactful over the long run.

Maybe I'll just hang a big digital clock on the wall. Idk. Appreciate the replies.

First of all: Thanks for the replies! It seems a bit much but I really like the idea of getting the sands of time and just flipping it when a guy's taking too long...

This isn't a reoccurring thing and I do think it's genuine thinking but in tournament play with 20ish minute blind levels it's impactful over the long run.

Maybe I'll just hang a big digital clock on the wall. Idk. Appreciate the replies.
I like this. Not stuck on the table or extra dealer problems but still ever-present. Make it a big ol' digital display! Lot of people have mounted iPads for these types of things, or just a dedicated cheap tv. Whatever works, most of my solutions are usually cheap re-using lol.

I like this. Not stuck on the table or extra dealer problems but still ever-present. Make it a big ol' digital display! Lot of people have mounted iPads for these types of things, or just a dedicated cheap tv. Whatever works, most of my solutions are usually cheap re-using lol.
I plan to elect a "ref" on each table who I will put in charge of being the "Time Dick" and just making sure someone knows that it's their job to remind players of the time clock rule. That likely, alone, will be enough.

Screenshot_20231020-124438.png

We have a couple of people who tank enough that it's noticable at times and clocks have been called. If it's a tournament we'll just use the tournie clock that's on the TV (Blind Valet) and if cash then someones phone.

Don't really need a dedicated timer but it is another "thing" to have - and whatever it ends up being, if it does, could be further enhanced with some 3d printing. Has the potential to steal hours and hours of time to make one particular joke :whistle: :whistling:

I now have a 6" red 30 sec sand timer in my amazon basket - tempted - would be quite funny.

Downloaded this earlier for Android

5BZ5c6k.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.cwiesner.android.visualtimer

So far looks really clean and functionality is pretty good. Would work on my phone but I've also got an old nexus 7 which is perfectly happy running it. Light and dark modes, minutes and/or seconds, sounds and colours plus some other basic, but useful, settings.

gwu7dln.jpg

On a little stand - slid right in front of them

I'd say it's a little too unfriendly at a home game. I hate big time tankers too but I don't think this is a good way to handle it.

Maybe instead just establish a loose rule of something like "If you tank for 2+ minutes then you get put on a 30s timer". Then encourage players to point out when this happens.

It will be much easier to manage, and much more friendly. Plus, since you established the rule ahead of time it might make people less hesitant to call clock.

how about a chess timer
Not sure that would work well. Those are made to count down a total amount of time between 2 players over the stretch of a whole chess game.

Usually poker timers are some amount of time long and reset every time action changes to a new player. That would be kind of hard to achieve with a chess timer.

Shot Clock
Screenshot_20231025_175919_eBay.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom