Is it a problem to win too often at your own home game? (2 Viewers)

I started a small, friendly home tournament ($30+$10 bounty) this summer, usually running 6-8 players, and hoping to grow in the new year. I co-host this with another friend out of her house (she has more space). I think it's fair to say she's not super into poker, but enjoys the communal aspect of hosting.

Of the four tournaments we've hosted, I've placed first in the last three. We're not talking huge money here; around $180 for each win. I am just a slightly above-average player globally; but most of the people who come to this are super green so I am clearly the best in that group. But I feel the people who come love it and are there for the dinner and fun.

After this last win, my co-host is concerned that if I keep placing first, it will dissuade others from wanting to come back, and that a tournament host shouldn't win at their own game this often. She wants to find ways to handicap my play. She seems to be the only person to have this concern; none of our players have voiced anything and everyone seems to be having a good time.

Personally, I invested a lot of money into chips, table toppers, etc. this year. And so I don't mind winning to recoup some of my costs (and the winnings haven't come close yet).

But thinking ahead, if this continues and I win a fourth or fifth time, would the community here ever think this would become a problem? And if so, what are some ways to combat this? Like, I already have a double-bounty on my head. Are there other ways to put a target on me? Or is this just an overblown concern?
SO, back to OP: I think the answer depends on the crowd, to sum up all the answers. If they take criticism well and want to be more competitive? Sure, offer to teach them. If they're just there to shoot the shit and escape the kids for a few hours? Dont tap the glass. Keep the co-host happy and enjoy, sounds like you're crushing the game.

The other option is go full WWE style heel, The Rock, you're the greatest and you dont stop talking about how great you are so that when some brave soul ca- IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE BRAVE SOUL DOES, BECAUSE YOU'RE THE PREDITOR AND THEY'RE PREY, AND THERE'S NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT.

Nah, as long as everything is on the up and up, nobody is going to think anything differently. Guys generally know who's better than others, and who's just getting lucky.

SO, back to OP: I think the answer depends on the crowd, to sum up all the answers. If they take criticism well and want to be more competitive? Sure, offer to teach them. If they're just there to shoot the shit and escape the kids for a few hours? Dont tap the glass. Keep the co-host happy and enjoy, sounds like you're crushing the game.

The other option is go full WWE style heel, The Rock, you're the greatest and you dont stop talking about how great you are so that when some brave soul ca- IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE BRAVE SOUL DOES, BECAUSE YOU'RE THE PREDITOR AND THEY'RE PREY, AND THERE'S NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT.
It's settled...

I'm going for "the other option"...

We play cash games, dealer choice between HE, Pineapple, Omaha. Small stakes 10/25 blinds. $20 buy I. I host the game, drinks and a few snacks on the house. I never have that burden of winning each week. Omaha usually gets me on the river to lose much of my stack lol.
We are all pretty equal in play, but some are a bit looser players than others.
We only play for 4.5 hours per session. It's a fun evening...no one ever goes home winning or losing big.
a big loss might be $60, big win $80+.

I have the same issue with most games I play. Pool, video games, cornhole, etc. I will literally sit out to let others win. If the same player keeps winning it could not be fun and then other won't want to play. The issue seems to be you have friends who aren't poker players. Someone on here said make friends with poker players. Until they love the game as much as you do, this will be an issue. If you really want to do something, consider sitting out of the tournament, and playing cash after. Something like that. Otherwise this is just part of the game.

After this last win, my co-host is concerned that if I keep placing first, it will dissuade others from wanting to come back, and that a tournament host shouldn't win at their own game this often. She wants to find ways to handicap my play. She seems to be the only person to have this concern; none of our players have voiced anything and everyone seems to be having a good time.

Personally, I invested a lot of money into chips, table toppers, etc. this year. And so I don't mind winning to recoup some of my costs (and the winnings haven't come close yet).

One of my favorite realizations in my head in the past few years is that nobody should want the host to completely suck, or else the game won't last.

If your co-host is the only one raising the issue, honestly I think you can ignore it. If you start to get grumbles from players, I don't think you should be expected to play in any event with a handicap. I would sooner suggest that you just host one when you sit out if you think it's good for the game for others to have a better chance.

Personally, winning 3 in a row is so unusual and likely never to happen again unless you really have that much of a skill edge.

It's also possible to have a crazy skill edge and not cash dozens in a row, so don't take the wins for granted.

A regular player brought a new guy this week. He makes his living as a financial planner. He may have been networking to get new clients or just seeking camaraderie. We play a $40 buy-in, $3 limit game. He asked if we could show our cards on certain hands so that he could learn. I figured why not. Early on I bet a few flush and straight draws that didn't materialize and it must have made me look like a maniac. I unintentionally got paid off the rest of the night. I had never before showed bluffs or semi-bluffs intentionally figuring that it gave away too much information. I can now see why advertising works.

The new guy dropped $60 but offered to host the next game if I brought the chips. It does seem like he may be networking, but I can stop worrying that I am winning my own game too often.

Yes, it could be a problem. And just because there’s only one person complaining, don’t assume that everybody else is loving the situation. I’ll bet most people would just find something else to do, before they complain out loud that they’re sick of losing.
6-8 handed tournaments ARE winnable, especially if the other players don’t understand how to play tournaments.
I’d suggest trying a cash game. It’s a lot easier to not be a PLAY TO WIN hardo in a cash game. And you can still win, without being the big winner.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom