Ultrasonic Cleaner & TSP Any Air Quality Issues (2 Viewers)

bernielomax

Flush
Reaction score
I can't find any old threads on this topic.

I cleaned some chips using an ultrasonic cleaner and Lundmark TSP yesterday. My wife made a comment about gas from the TSP could be getting into the air :cautious:. I told her that’s not how ultrasonic works. Am I correct? I honestly have no idea.

Don't feed the TSP beans or broccoli for dinner...

I only use 87 octane in mine; the fumes are manageable, but I also only really use it outside. I have the Toro 6L Ultrasonic with Mulching.

Am I correct? I honestly have no idea.
I've used an ultra sonic and TSP dozens of times. Never any smell afterwards. I even clean the chips in my kitchen. I put towels down and clean up everything right after I'm done with some kitchen cleaners.

Maybe its a nice way of her saying, "I'm sick of your damn chips all over the place!" I know my wife thinks the same.

I’ve used the ultrasonic with TSP twice and both times I’ve definitely felt my eyes burning. I even had the garage door open the second time. Anyone else experience this? I will increase ventilation next time by using fans or going outside.

I only do mine outside, not because of fumes but because I thought I read somewhere it could damage the finish on countertops. Never really smelled any fumes outside.

I only do mine outside, not because of fumes but because I thought I read somewhere it could damage the finish on countertops. Never really smelled any fumes outside.
I’ll be doing it outside from now on. I’m going to try degassing it, too.

Perhaps it is simply an issue of adding too much TSP to small amounts of water. It's a strong base, so it should be exothermic and some mist of the solution might have gotten into your eyes.
Thank you for sharing this info. I will add less TSP and wear goggles next time. I just thought it was odd that no one else mentioned the irritated eyes problem. I really just must have added too much TSP or everyone else was already wearing goggles.

Last edited:
This is the recipe I use from the cleaning thread. Works great. This is for a 3L US so double everything if you have a 6L. The 43 is for celsius which is about 110 F

IMG_1767.jpeg

Last edited:
Mmmmm I dont want to purchase a $100+ new toy, I kind of just want to sit down and scrub at these roulettes I just got. But those THCs are full of gunk.

For sodium metascillate which is a common TSP substitute I found this. http://www.ilo.org/dyn/icsc/showcard.display?p_version=2&p_card_id=0359&p_lang=en

"Inhalation risk
Evaporation at 20°C is negligible; a harmful concentration of airborne particles can, however, be reached quickly when dispersed."

Definitely wear gloves and wash your hands well afterwards though, you don't want to ingest this stuff. I don't know how you would, but don't dump the stuff out of the container in a way that could kick up dust.

I wear gloves for sure.
I kind of just want to sit down and scrub at these roulettes I just got. But those THCs are full of gunk.
If you have to do a bunch of chips, there is no better or faster tool to use and your hands will thank you later. Plus, you can use it to clean all sorts of items, not just poker chips so it is worth the upfront cost. You can find them on sale etc. under $100 a lot of the time too.

Thank you for sharing this info. I will add less TSP and wear googles next time. I just thought it was odd that no one else mentioned the irritated eyes problem. I really just must have added too much TSP or everyone else was already wearing googles.

Thank you for sharing this info. I will add less TSP and wear googles next time. I just thought it was odd that no one else mentioned the irritated eyes problem. I really just must have added too much TSP or everyone else was already wearing googles.
I've cleaned thousands of chips in the ultrasonic... never an irritated eye situation. I do wear safety glasses however (not goggles)... just to avoid any splashing into the eyes. I've never noticed a smell. I do this in my laundry room... not particularly well ventilated.

Yeah, I’ve never had any smell, or burning eyes using TSP. If a little splashed in your eye, then I suspect that could burn.

TSP is pretty much a super strong degreaser, often used as a cleaning or prep agent to remove heavy grease, etc.

As with anything, I’d use common sense, but don’t think a bio suit or any such thing is necessary. (Do keep it away from metal finishes, mirrors, and such as it can ruin them)

Other than that, I use a few tablespoons and let it rip!

I wear gloves for sure.

If you have to do a bunch of chips, there is no better or faster tool to use and your hands will thank you later. Plus, you can use it to clean all sorts of items, not just poker chips so it is worth the upfront cost. You can find them on sale etc. under $100 a lot of the time too.
^^ this. I’ve used my US cleaner for all kinds of things. Even cleaned some old RC car nitro engines, worked like a champ. Nothing better for cleaning small carbs, parts, etc.

Well worth it!

I wear gloves for sure.

20240117_195522.jpg

Aight, I'm convinced. This took wayyyy too long! 199 to go.

^^ this. I’ve used my US cleaner for all kinds of things. Even cleaned some old RC car nitro engines, worked like a champ. Nothing better for cleaning small carbs, parts, etc.

Well worth it!
I can't agree more. I've recently gotten into refurbishing pinball machines. The ultrasonic works great for cleaning those parts too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom