Tournament Set - Design Feedback (1 Viewer)

ambo33

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey gang, we're designing a custom set for ceramics and would love some feedback/ideas! It's our first custom set so would love to make sure we are thinking through.

They will not be edge aligned and that's why there's gaps on the faces to make it less dramatic to the eye.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 11.15.41 PM.JPEG
Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 11.41.37 AM.JPEG

I've no big remarks.
Only thing is that the thin lines on dark background might not render well when printing.µ
I'd also make the text a little bit bolder and probably (except on the 25) decrease the height on the edge patter just a little bit.
And then - matter of preference - I'd have used a slightly lighter purple for the 500 chip when you've a black one just next to it.

Question : any reason why the number of patterns on the edge is 2, 4, 3, 5 and not 2, 3, 4, 5 ?

I've no big remarks.
Only thing is that the thin lines on dark background might not render well when printing.µ
I'd also make the text a little bit bolder and probably (except on the 25) decrease the height on the edge patter just a little bit.
And then - matter of preference - I'd have used a slightly lighter purple for the 500 chip when you've a black one just next to it.

Question : any reason why the number of patterns on the edge is 2, 4, 3, 5 and not 2, 3, 4, 5 ?
lol it is 2,3,4,5, the edge image is out of order! :cool

It's a decent mock, like Kid_ I would say your text, especially the two lines with the perpendicular line is going to not print that well but BRPro will take care of ya with samples.
The edge /// might need a bit more green between the white as well

Really good experience with BRPro multiple times, consider the 43s!

KaHOON! any thoughts (@Colquhoun)

I've no big remarks.

Good feedback on the color and contrast. I'm hoping that brpoker will point out flaws in the design before printing too. o_O

Good call on the spacing! 43s?! I have some 43 ceramics in front of me right now and they feel gigantic and difficult to shuffle. I do have to say though that they make the 39s feel so tiny!

Overall I like it - the use of shaped inlays is nice, as is the progression. As others have pointed out the very thin lines might be an issue when printing.

I'm not quite sure why you have the 500 denom in purple while the others are all in black? I like red denominations, but that's a personal preference.

I'm not quite sure why you have the 500 denom in purple while the others are all in black? I like red denominations, but that's a personal preference.
ahaahah good call! I wanna see them with red denominations! Good suggestion!

i don't suppose these have anything to do with this awesome deer tick song?

I like them in general, but something about seeing "Twenty Mile" on the face 3 times seems like overkill
Perhaps "Twenty Mile" at the top and "Poker Room" / "Poker Club" at the bottom might be better?

just my 0.02

I like them in general, but something about seeing "Twenty Mile" on the face 3 times seems like overkill
Perhaps "Twenty Mile" at the top and "Poker Room" / "Poker Club" at the bottom might be better?

just my 0.02
Yes 100% agreed. Got that feedback from another player already. We are changing it up to have different information. The guy designing them is getting to all the changes soon and I'll post an update!

All this feedback has been helpful!

It's a decent mock, like Kid_ I would say your text, especially the two lines with the perpendicular line is going to not print that well but BRPro will take care of ya with samples.

KaHOON! any thoughts (@Colquhoun)
Yep, as discussed, thin lines tend to blur and get lost, especially ones that are on a dark background.
If it were me, I would pay extra to have samples of these made to iron out all issues.

They will not be edge aligned and that's why there's gaps on the faces to make it less dramatic to the eye.
Good explanation. I think I like this idea, and probably actually prefer this design spacing it for non aligned edge spots. (Without the explanation it might not have made sense, but it makes sense!) And the chips look good too.

I'll second the comment about not having the 500 denom in purple for just the one denom. I'd prefer either they all should all be slightly different colors to match the denoms/edge spots (which might be tricky with lighter colors, like day green or yellow) or the denom should be the same color, black or red.

You might need to use a thicker font for your ring text to make it more visible. The test is arms length.
Yep, as discussed, thin lines tend to blur and get lost, especially ones that are on a dark background.
If it were me, I would pay extra to have samples of these made to iron out all issues.
^ These. I'd try make sure the white lettering on the dark chips stands out and is just as legible as the black lettering on the lighter chips. The white font will just be areas of the white ceramic not printed/not inked, correct(?), so it may come out different than the black font printed on the white ceramic. Just a wild a** guess, but you might need the white font to be thicker than the black font for both of them to turn out looking the same once the chips are printed.

Good explanation. I think I like this idea, and probably actually prefer this design spacing it for non aligned edge spots. (Without the explanation it might not have made sense, but it makes sense!) And the chips look good too.

I'll second the comment about not having the 500 denom in purple for just the one denom. I'd prefer either they all should all be slightly different colors to match the denoms/edge spots (which might be tricky with lighter colors, like day green or yellow) or the denom should be the same color, black or red.

^ These. I'd try make sure the white lettering on the dark chips stands out and is just as legible as the black lettering on the lighter chips. The white font will just be areas of the white ceramic not printed/not inked, correct(?), so it may come out different than the black font printed on the white ceramic. Just a wild a** guess, but you might need the white font to be thicker than the black font for both of them to turn out looking the same once the chips are printed.
Also, a black made up of CMYK as opposed to just 100%K tends to bleed more. For example, a rich black in CMYK is 40%/40%/20%/100%, and prints even blacker than just 0/0/0/100. The drawback to using a rich black is that with all that ink, it can bleed more into the thin white lines, which are really just areas of NO ink.

One thing to watch out for is that the print may not be perfectly centered on the chips. With the ring on the outside, that will be noticeable for some of the chips. They will provide you with a warning about that on the proof, and how much it can be off-center and still considered acceptable.

Regarding colors:

I tend to avoid using any green shades on T100 chips, since it is typically used for T25s. Personal pet peeve, I suppose.

When using green-black-purple chips in succession, ensure that there is ample contrast between them all. If using a light green T25, use a dark T100 (or a lighter T100 if using dark green). Same with the T500 -- use a lighter shade if using a dark T100, or a darker purple if using a light-colored T100 (like gray or charcoal). Dark green-black-purple is a nightmare under many lighting conditions, and easily avoidable.

You're going to need T5000 chips. Cheaper to get them now vs later, and easier to design now. as an integral part of the set.

Personally, I'd make the denominations larger, and I'd substitute Est. for Established, which looks too long and awkward -- it's the least important detail on the chip, and takes up the most space.

Lastly, I'd change the number of design elements on the T500 chip from eight to just six -- it will make it less cluttered, and create a better visual progression from T25 to T1000 (2, 4, 6, 8).

Last edited:
You're going to need T5000 chips. Cheaper to get them now vs later, and easier to design now. as an integral part of the set.

This is key. Unless your tourneys are excessively shallow (like 100 BB or less), you'll need T5000's for color ups and rebuys.

FWIW I really like what’s going on with the rolling edge on these. I mentioned this in the discussion that’s going on elsewhere hear about ceramics

updated to have a charcoal 25. Think the set is coming to!

Attachments

• CE0BB71A-BF14-41E8-9E0B-A623C3BBAC40.jpeg
    CE0BB71A-BF14-41E8-9E0B-A623C3BBAC40.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 49

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom