To clean or not to clean (1 Viewer)

Magic jack

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I have heard many thoughts about cleaning or oiling clay chips (like Paulson chips, etc.). What do you recommend and why?

If you are needing to clean chips I recommend a ultrasonic cleaner and TSP

I don’t oil chips just let the natural oils do the work

Unless you can borrow or rent one, don't get an ultrasonic cleaner if you have less than a couple thousand chips to do. If you've got a thousand chips or less, use good ol' dish detergent and a scrub brush and some elbow grease.

I prefer to oil after cleaning.

About oiling, I think using people’s natural oil would be best!

Just a quick clean - soap and water
Medium gunk - cheap ultrasonic
Hooker juice - tsp with magic eraser and toothpick.

I almost always lightly oil just the edge, unless they are older and need a heavy oiling...

Just a quick clean - soap and water
Medium gunk - cheap ultrasonic
Hooker juice - tsp with magic eraser and toothpick.

I almost always lightly oil just the edge, unless they are older and need a heavy oiling...

With ultrasonic and fake TSP, you don't need the toothpick. They come out like new.
Even if covered in Hooker Juice!

Anybody remember the Horseshoe Cleveland's $500's?
They were covered in some remarkably special kind of Hooker Juice.

So my ultrasonic didn't work too well with hooker juice. But, it's a crap ultrasonic. It's mostly good for cleaning the surface gunk

I have a set of heavily used chips from the past decade of playing. They're definitely "oiled" from use... But it's not uniform or nice looking. I've seen many posts where people say to let natural finger oils do the work for you and not bother with mineral oils. But how could this ever lead to uniform oiling?

Feels like I should just clean them and then use the methods listed here to get a really nice, consistent oiling on all of them.

I have a set of heavily used chips from the past decade of playing. They're definitely "oiled" from use... But it's not uniform or nice looking. I've seen many posts where people say to let natural finger oils do the work for you and not bother with mineral oils. But how could this ever lead to uniform oiling?

Feels like I should just clean them and then use the methods listed here to get a really nice, consistent oiling on all of them.

Yes, I would certainly recommend this, especially if they are traditional compression clay chips.

Just wanted to add to this thread to show in my recent experience buying CPC chips and the oiling results after cleaning :

*All pics sadly taken with my (shitty) cell cam in same room with same lights*

I received the chips :
IMG_20190531_153020.jpg

Then I wiped them with lukewarm water soaked microfibre:
IMG_20190531_162928.jpg

Then I did 2 rounds of oil application to the edges. Oil naturally migrated to the surfaces of each chip and so I had to individually wipe each chip. So with the 2 applications, this was tedious. Results :
IMG_20190604_132712.jpg

Nothing better than TSP for paulsons. I use it in bowl and scrub with a toothbrush. Very little elbow grease required. Hooker juice melts off. Afterwards the water can be used to poison the wells of your enemies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom