Tips for removing inlays (1 Viewer)

How many dead ones have you got?

I'm up to a little over 1800. I am pretty sure that I'll do at least another 1000 or so.

It took me longer at first, but I sort of have a system down now. I've got it down to about 90 seconds/chip. I feel like I've eliminated most of the wasted time.

I think that the biggest advice it to try and eliminate picking up the chips as much as possible. Every time you pick up a chip it takes time....

Batches of 40 seem to work well for me

Took me exactly 4 weeks to remove the laminate from 1380 chips (2760 total :bag: ). Still have to remove the scraps of labels that remain on all but 4 racks, though. It's not exactly a fun process, but it's great to think about what the finished product will look like.

Roulettes.jpg

Another big tip is to let the NANPR do its job. Not every set of chips reacts the same. If your inlays are vinyl and and they are ripping up into little bits and small pieces are getting stuck to the chip then you are either not using enough NANPR or you aren't leaving it sit long enough or both.

A generous amt of NANPR and let them all soak no less than 20 minutes and you will save a lot of time by not having to pick at little bits and pieces.

Another big tip is to let the NANPR do its job. Not every set of chips reacts the same. If your inlays are vinyl and and they are ripping up into little bits and small pieces are getting stuck to the chip then you are either not using enough NANPR or you aren't leaving it sit long enough or both.

A generous amt of NANPR and let them all soak no less than 20 minutes and you will save a lot of time by not having to pick at little bits and pieces.
Definitely varies from chip to chip. Even though my inlays are (mostly) the same, the amount of time required seems to be quite different. On two chip colors, a minute seems to do the trick. On two others, a couple of minutes does nothing. I haven't tried 20 minutes, though. I'll have to start experimenting and see what works best.

Definitely varies from chip to chip. Even though my inlays are (mostly) the same, the amount of time required seems to be quite different. On two chip colors, a minute seems to do the trick. On two others, a couple of minutes does nothing. I haven't tried 20 minutes, though. I'll have to start experimenting and see what works best.
I am pretty sure that the reason it varies so much from chip to chip is that when you pull off the laminate each one will damage or pull up the vinyl in different amounts allowing the NANPR to get at the adhesive differently. Depending on how difficult or hard it is for the NANPR to actually get at the adhesive will affect how long it takes it to do it's job. There isn't really any way to know how it quickly it is melting the adhesive until you start to pull at the vinyl so the fastest procedure is to just let them all soak for 20 minutes and by then 99% (Vinyl only) of them will all come up in one piece. Just work on some other chips while you are waiting or go have a beer or whatever...

It is worth the wait.

Last edited:
I am just now realizing the difference between vinyl labels and paper labels. Paper inlays are frustrating the hell out of me.

I removed the laminate on these chips easily. Then caked the paper label with NANPR. But all this did was remove "most" of the paper label. Do I just need to scrape the rest of the label off manually? This is what I have done so far, but it takes FOREVER. Is another round of NANPR the way to go?

Left to right: chip prior to removing laminate ... chip with laminate removed ... chip after one round of NANPR ... scraped and cleaned chip. Kick me in the head.

B0EC3CA6-8706-4798-B04E-4AB7570B2A1D.jpeg

I was down to 4,5 min / chip with paper lables, but it took about a rack to get there.
The most important tool was this knife with the 45 degree blade.
IMG_20210302_155703.jpg

After the nanpr it was easy to scrape my way under the paper lable and from there just slowly scraping to get it all off in pretty much one piece.
16146972092607847648171370948268.jpg

I was down to 4,5 min / chip with paper lables......
Wow that is some kind of perseverance. >4 min/label & I would be moving on to another chip.

I have yet to encounter paper inlays & I hope I never do. I am sure I will at some point. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there. If someone has discovered anything that can cut down the time, please do share...

Well in my case I was working on leaded fuchsia solids. So these were very much worth the effort. At least in my opinion. =)

Yes, I think I need to get a different blade or two. Now that my laminates are all removed, it seems a different blade will be more useful for the paper labels.

I cruised through 10 racks of vinyl labels with ease. I think the 4 racks of paper label chips will take longer than those 10 racks of vinyl label chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom