Tips for removing inlays (1 Viewer)

The Nuts

Flush
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm venturing into the foray of inlay removal and I'm curious about the proper nail polish remover to use for removing the sticker.

Are they all super corrosive to chips? I bought this non-acetone rail polish remover from Amazon:

"100% Biodegradable - No Acetone Non Toxic Formula (Fragrance Free)" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGNHSHV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_d8k6DbB35Z2VE

Seemed about the least harsh one I could find. I didnt have a dropper so I tried to just pour a very small amount on a chip and see how it went.

It basically melted the chip, the whole thing just started coming apart, clay melting off, that first chip is really wrecked.

I tried a few more with a small brush applying a very small amount, while they did work I still felt like it changed the feel of the chip.

Is there any chemicals people use that are less damaging to chips?

Thanks!

20191201_132416.jpg

The first chip. I had blue everywhere haha

Whatever you are using us too strong. I would try another brand. I use an eye dropper to apply the NPR to the inlay. Some colours are effected but none of my chips have melted.

I posted a couple videos here not long ago:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...allenges-of-vinyl-vs-paper-my-thoughts.48396/

I've never had my NANPR damage the chip - I think you'll have to try another brand. It doesn't matter if its has a fragrance - you'll be washing the chip off after inlay removal anyway. Remember, these are solvents, so it is possible they may cause some colour to run. Apply using a dropper, and rinse soon after once you've peeled or scraped the inlay off.

I had the same problem as you with the two different brands I tried using. Both non-aceton. Did about a barrel of chips and while most came out good I had one or two instances of this. It also discolored the chips slightly, so it is very important to not get any of it on the outer rim of the chip.

I ended up not using nail polish remover at all, which probably made it a lot more work but safer for the chips. Just a lot of scraping with a carpenter knife. Have done a few hundred chips by now.

IMG_20191205_103056.jpg

As a side note, I have never removed an inlay yet. However, there are a couple of threads on how to do this, albeit, it will take time. People usually watch TV as they are doing it to pass the time.

I just did a few hundred argosy chips. They must be really easy because I did 300 in jus a couple hours. I used CUTEX NON ACETONE nail polish remover. Everything smells like pina colada now!! Ha. But it worked EXCELLENT. DID 5’s and the rag wasn’t red at all. No color run. And the inlay melted right off in seconds. Absolutely no chip damage or color run. The hardest part was peeling the clear plastic laminate and that came off without much effort.

Hey folks, I'm venturing into the foray of inlay removal and I'm curious about the proper nail polish remover to use for removing the sticker.

Are they all super corrosive to chips? I bought this non-acetone rail polish remover from Amazon:

"100% Biodegradable - No Acetone Non Toxic Formula (Fragrance Free)" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGNHSHV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_d8k6DbB35Z2VE

Seemed about the least harsh one I could find. I didnt have a dropper so I tried to just pour a very small amount on a chip and see how it went.

It basically melted the chip, the whole thing just started coming apart, clay melting off, that first chip is really wrecked.

I tried a few more with a small brush applying a very small amount, while they did work I still felt like it changed the feel of the chip.

Is there any chemicals people use that are less damaging to chips?

Thanks!
I remove by hand, no chemicals. The most important piece is using a blade with a 45 degree angle...NOT a standard blade. The standard blade cuts into the label. The 45 degree blade removes. Below is a video. I did 1000 chips and found the method awesome for bright chips. I was afraid the chemicals would dis color them.

I just removed the inlays on a rack of roulette chips. It's work, for sure. The laminate on these are thick as hell. Sometimes the label comes off with the laminate really clean. But most of them do not, so the nail polish remover is required. I've got 1000+ more chips to go, but I'm in no rush. Based on the first rack of pink chips, these will clean up very nicely.

Pink inlay removal process.jpg
Pink murdered.jpg

Arc Yellow is a gorgeous color ... these are nasty now, but they will clean up nicely

Arc Yellow.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Anyone have this happen before?

View attachment 617562

The blade just snapped off and hit me in the eyebrow. I’m wearing glasses but jeez. That was a little scary.

Yep, gone through about 3-4 #16 blades in the last 6 months. I buy them in bulk. I slice and then pry with the blade so I snap them off more often than others probably, I've seen little chunks of laminate/label fly off as well, always wear eye (and other) protection.

This is why I switch to a box cutter after an initial pie cut with the Xacto. The flexibility of the box cutter blade should prevent this from happening.

Wear eye protection.
These inlays are so thick, I actually WAS making the initial pie cut when the blade snapped. Maybe it's the age of the inlay that makes it so difficult to remove. But these Garduno's roulette inlays are a PITA. At least the label underneath isn't paper, so once I get the laminate off, the rest of the label isn't too bad.

Yep, gone through about 3-4 #16 blades in the last 6 months. I buy them in bulk. I slice and then pry with the blade so I snap them off more often than others probably, I've seen little chunks of laminate/label fly off as well, always wear eye (and other) protection.
Same thing happens to me. Flying pieces of laminate are the bigger problem for me.

I watched allforcharity videos & have now done 300 easy peasy lemon squeezy....

I did it in steps & about 50 or so at a time so I wasn't wasting a lot of time moving back and forth between steps.

Step 1:
I used a disposable utility knife. One of the ones that you snap off a chunk to get a fresh blade. Worked great. I started in the middle and made 1 slice out to the edge of where the protective laminate plastic stops. Angle the knife @45 or even so the angle between the chip and the knife blade is 30. Push hard enough so the blade goes all the way through the lamination. It does take a little pressure. With a little practice you will get the hang of it knowing how deep to cut to make sure you get all the way through the laminate and don't go into the actual chip much.

Step 2:
Using the pick I have I go through all the ones I just sliced and turn the edge up right where the knife slice exited out of the laminate. This way I can grab the laminate easily in step 3

Step 3:
Using the needle nosed pliers grab the spot where I just turned up the laminate with the tip of the pliers and pull. Usually I pull maybe 4 or 5 times each time rotating the chip a little until the entire thing is off. Rinse & Repeat on side 2 of the chip.

Step 4:
I laid out 20 or so chips to do at a time & proceeded to work through these 10 at a time. I poured a cap full of the NANPR (Non Acetone Nail Polish Remover) into the cap of the bottle that the stuff came in and used the Q tip to apply enough to cover thoroughly the entire inlay area. I applied the NANPR to all 20 and then by the time I was done with that, the 1st ones were ready to start the peeling of the vinyl off. I used the pick again sometimes to get an edge started, but mostly just used my fingernail. Once I was done with the 1st 10 I flipped those over and put NANPR on those 10 and went on to the other ten going back and forth which gave enough time so each chip sat at least 5 min or so and loosened the vinyl label. Rinse and repeat again.

This is probably not for everyone, but anyone can do it. It takes time and a little effort. Most chips go quite easily and for me a few of them (5% maybe) the whole thing just came off in one piece - laminate, vinyl & all. On a few I had to re-apply the NANPR as the vinyl was being stubborn. If you have the money and this is just a 1 time thing for you, I would probably just pay Gear to do it for you. If you love chips and really want a set of customs but you either can't or won't pay to have it done, then go for it.

Time for removing laminate (both sides): 1 min/chip
Time for removing vinyl label (both sides): 1 min/chip
Total time for both sides: 2 min/chip

Here is everything I used:

Last edited:
I keep seeing all the slicing Vids and comments. I have an easier time just poking the pick under the laminate to get it going then either pull it off or use the pliar to pull it off. A little non acetone all natural NPR and the vinyls lift right off.... Now I know not all chips re the same but the HSI's come right apart and the Mandalay Bays are easy really peasy, if they smell nail polish remover the inlay jumps off the chip.

I watched allforcharity videos & have now 300 easy peasy lemon squeezy....

I did it in steps & about 50 or so at a time so I wasn't wasting a lot of time moving back and forth between steps.

Step 1:
I used a disposable utility knife. One of the ones that you snap off a chunk to get a fresh blade. Worked great. I started in the middle and made 1 slice out to the edge of where the protective laminate plastic stops. Angle the knife @45 or even so the angle between the chip and the knife blade is 30. Push hard enough so the blade goes all the way through the lamination. It does take a little pressure. With a little practice you will get the hang of it knowing how deep to cut to make sure you get all the way through the laminate and don't go into the actual chip much.

Step 2:
Using the pick I have I go through all the ones I just sliced and turn the edge up right where the knife slice exited out of the laminate. This way I can grab the laminate easily in step 3

Step 3:
Using the needle nosed pliers grab the spot where I just turned up the laminate with the tip of the pliers and pull. Usually I pull maybe 4 or 5 times each time rotating the chip a little until the entire thing is off. Rinse & Repeat on side 2 of the chip.

Step 4:
I laid out 20 or so chips to do at a time & proceeded to work through these 10 at a time. I poured a cap full of the NANC into the cap of the bottle that the stuff came in and used the Q tip to apply enough to cover thoroughly the entire inlay area. I applied the nanc to all 20 and then by the time I was done with that the 1st ones were ready to start the peeling of the vinyl off. I used the pick again sometimes to get an edge started, but mostly just used my fingernail. Once I was done with the 1st 10 I flipped those over and put nanc on those 10 and went on to the other ten going back and forth which gave enough time so each chip sat at least 5 min or so and loosened the vinyl label. Rinse and repeat again.

This is probably not for everyone, but anyone can do it. It takes time and a little effort. Most chips go quite easily and for me a few of them (5% maybe) the whole thing just came off in one piece - laminate, vinyl & all. On a few I had to re-apply the nanc as the vinyl was being stubborn. If you have the money and this is just a 1 time thing for you, I would probably just pay Gear to do it for you. If you love chips and really want a set of customs but you either can't or won't pay to have it done then go for it.

Time for removing laminate (both sides): 1 min/chip
Time for removing vinyl label (both sides): 1 min/chip
Total time for both sides: 2 min/chip

Here is everything I used:
My process is almost exactly the same as nanook’s process. Few differences:

1. on days I am removing the top laminate I typically do not remove the inlays (nail polish days are different). I just sit in front of the tv removing racks of top laminate. Same as nanook’s step 1. This goes pretty fast And can be done without much set up.
2. step 2 is the basically the same for me. I make incisions in a bunch of chips then go back to peel off the laminate. I use a heavy exacto blade shown below to lift the laminate. I use the same needle nose players as described above but I do not pull directly away from the chip as it puts a lot of pressure directly in the chip. Instead I clamp the laminate and roll the pliers away from the cut so the laminate peels away from the chip and wraps around the pliers. Much less direct pressure on the chip. less chance of breaking the chip AND my less stress on ur wrists. U may not think it’s much but after removing 1000 inlays you will see.
3. For nail polish days my process is basically the same although I have moved to an eye dropper instead of the Q-tips. It’s a little more risky (try not to get the liquid on the outside of the chip), but faster application. I do about 10-15 chips at a time.
4. After removing about 40 inlays, I give the chips a quick bath in warm water and Dawn solution and quick brushing to make sure all the polish remover is off the chip.
hope this helps!
E404A41C-8D19-46DD-B990-4517158F1DD0.jpeg
9C9F44A7-6F26-4790-8C03-2A1956FD6E70.jpeg

My process is almost exactly the same as nanook’s process. Few differences:

1. on days I am removing the top laminate I typically do not remove the inlays (nail polish days are different). I just sit in front of the tv removing racks of top laminate. Same as nanook’s step 1. This goes pretty fast And can be done without much set up.
2. step 2 is the basically the same for me. I make incisions in a bunch of chips then go back to peel off the laminate. I use a heavy exacto blade shown below to lift the laminate. I use the same needle nose players as described above but I do not pull directly away from the chip as it puts a lot of pressure directly in the chip. Instead I clamp the laminate and roll the pliers away from the cut so the laminate peels away from the chip and wraps around the pliers. Much less direct pressure on the chip. less chance of breaking the chip AND my less stress on ur wrists. U may not think it’s much but after removing 1000 inlays you will see.
3. For nail polish days my process is basically the same although I have moved to an eye dropper instead of the Q-tips. It’s a little more risky (try not to get the liquid on the outside of the chip), but faster application. I do about 10-15 chips at a time.
4. After removing about 40 inlays, I give the chips a quick bath in warm water and Dawn solution and quick brushing to make sure all the polish remover is off the chip.
hope this helps!
View attachment 617848 View attachment 617847
where did you get all of these instruments of torture?

I'm glad that you found my process helpful. Sounds like you haven't come across any really stubborn paper labels yet. Lucky you!
Yes, very helpful!

All the ones I did so far were the same vinyl inlay. They were plenty hard, but you get good at it pretty quickly.

I'm going to try and avoid paper inlays...

Slaughter Saturday going well here. Hopefully not too long for some @Gear Labels!

I follow the @allforcharity method, and it's been easy peasy.

Attachments

• 20210206_093922.jpg
    20210206_093922.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 157
  • 20210206_101347.jpg
    20210206_101347.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210206_101412.jpg
    20210206_101412.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210206_104018.jpg
    20210206_104018.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 151

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom