Tipping the dealer for a lower stakes home game? (1 Viewer)

It's culture-dependent
Its hard to say this as an American and not sound like an asshole =D hahah ( at least to other Americans)

I agree and I would enjoy a different experience, its just not how its done here. My ideal of food would be BBQ ( I go crazy and smoke pork / brisket )

have you had many games since Nov? Any lessons learned? how is it going any odd issues?

Since my last post on 1/7, we've had 4 games and about to have another tonight. I've gone with @upNdown 's advice and have started texting out to my group about chipping in for the dealer, they were very receptive about it, so no more half of us paying for the dealer. ($10 per player, and after end of night tips, dealer usually walks away with $100-120. For 5-6 hours per game, it's a pretty solid gig)

In terms of the game, I honestly think it's gotten way better. I taught the dealer bomb pots and omaha. Slowly teaching him some mixed games (some mixed games I just also recently learned!). My players used to be VERY against playing anything other than texas, but somehow having a dedicated dealer made it easier for them to digest. Right now we're just dealing an orbit of dealer's choice every hour, so it's still mostly texas.

I think my game's action has increased 2x probably. The games are running deeper and much more degen. Usually, there'll be one or two players with 200 BB+ stacks, but one night we got to a point where I think everyone had 300 BB behind! I think a dedicated dealer controlling the game and pushing pots had some sort of psychological effect on my guys. But probably helps that the dealer is a talker ;) he tends to make a lot of good conversation (he took a while to open up, understandable) which helps the game loosen up. Of course, he doesn't influence the hands in any way. I think.

Like some other posters have mentioned, the stakes are too small for table tipping to make a real difference. I'd rather keep that money on the table.

I don't plan to make a profit on my games through rake, I know some hosts do, which is fine IMO. But honestly, the increased action and degen due to the dealer has probably made me more profit than rake :)

Good to hear and thanks for the follow up

If the dealer is making $20 hour I would have a no tipping rule. Dealer making $100-$150 a night is solid.

Tipping can get pretty aggressive then and the dealer could make some big money and it takes money from your micro stakes game.
This could be a selling point for your game. I remember when Uber wouldn't even allow tipping. It was quite magical. Go on your phone, have a car come pick you up/drop you off, never touch cash, no tipping even allowed so it wasn't expected at all. A glorious time.

Dealing a game all night is a incredibly hard job, especially when done right. The good dealer, among other things, manages the game, keeps player on track, manages the pots (keeping track of the amount of the pot and knowing what a pot size raise is), keeps track of the cards (shuffles
And washes), and splits pots for hi lo games. Without a good dealer the game grinds to a very slow crawl. This probably does not mean much to a friendly lo stakes neighborhood game. But for a game if any significance a good dealer is a must. I say tip them, and tip them well -especially a good dealer (which are hard to find).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom