Home game tipping, more etiquette (1 Viewer)

In New Zealand, we don’t have tipping culture so it’s like comparing apples and oranges but I feel as though if you are a host, you’re ultimately doing it because you love playing poker. The money you burn on nice chips, cards, table should be all for you. Don’t make your guests try pay for that new set of solid CPC hotstamps ;)

I provide some beers/soft drinks and snacks but people bring other stuff to drink as well. I never ask for money to host. However sometimes the guys will round down their cashout to the nearest $5 or $10 (we play $25 tournaments or 20c/50c cash) and pass it to me which is always appreciated.

In New Zealand, we don’t have tipping culture so it’s like comparing apples and oranges but I feel as though if you are a host, you’re ultimately doing it because you love playing poker. The money you burn on nice chips, cards, table should be all for you. Don’t make your guests try pay for that new set of solid CPC hotstamps ;)

I provide some beers/soft drinks and snacks but people bring other stuff to drink as well. I never ask for money to host. However sometimes the guys will round down their cashout to the nearest $5 or $10 (we play $25 tournaments or 20c/50c cash) and pass it to me which is always appreciated.
I agree players shouldn't feel the need to tip to pay for the hosts equipment.

For refreshments, I'd say it depends on what it is and if others are bringing things to share. If I put out bottles of water and some chips or nuts, then there is absolutely no expectation of a tip other than a player just wanting to show their gratitude that I am hosting. Same thing if everyone is BYOB, whether sharing or not. But if I've got beer, booze and a half dozen pizzas out, then it's because we as a group decided that's what we want and everyone will be expected to chip in. I don't really even consider that tipping. It's paying your share of something you wanted and were expecting to be there. If most are doing BYOB, then I might set out a specific bottle or two or a few beers for players to help themselves. If they want to leave a couple bucks, that's okay.

I do think rounding down when you cash out, especially if you were an overall winner, is a good idea.

I don't think I've ever played in a home game where players were tipping the dealer after winning hands. That just seems weird for a bunch of poker buddies who get together regularly.

All the "home" games around here are run like card rooms. Drinks, snacks, beer, liquor, dinner...all provided. They all have dealers and each run their own sort of shenanigans in addition to the regular game (bomb pots, stand up, etc.) On the south side of town there are 4 or 5 pretty big games. Tipping is expected as all the dealers work for tips.

I would imagine tipping isn't necessary in a pass the deal style game where there's not more than $1-2k on the table. Maybe pitch the host a few bucks at the end of the night

In the dead of a MN winter I run my snowblower to clear street parking where the plows have left Mother Nature’s excrement…

The list of what’s hosts do goes on and on.

You don’t have to pay for the hosts poker chip addiction. But if you’re sitting in a clean basement, have water soda and snacks, have a clean bathroom to use, flip the guy a river or play somewhere else.

My two cents.

At my school snacks are on a meal plan so I can load up on them for a game and it doesn't cost me anything. Should I still leave tipping available to people for supplies for the game?

At my school snacks are on a meal plan so I can load up on them for a game and it doesn't cost me anything. Should I still leave tipping available to people for supplies for the game?
No, you're building a microstakes game with students and teaching them how to play. Do not take tips. Go get some lil meal plan snacks.

I tip every time . Win or lose. I tip more when I win though.

Last tournament I cashed $730. I tipped $80 to host. In cash games I always round down my stack when cash out. I throw the bulk of it to the host and $5-10 into the next pot. I play to win but I don’t really care about the money. I stay in good favors with all the players and I get invited to every single game now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom